Damper or Dirty Bearings?

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 20, 2000 - 09:30 PM

One guy just posted 'I just greased my steering head bearings..and now it steers great.....Another guy is trying to figure out if he should buy a steering damper.....Well I'm figuring if I just let my steering head bearings get real dry and dirty, that I save the labor of cleaning/greasing them and at the same time I get enough friction to have a "built in" steering damper.....What do you guys think? Besides that I am a genius.

• Bryan

Posted June 20, 2000 - 09:31 PM

I'd get a patent on that asap.
You'll make MILLIONS!
:)
Bryan...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jj

Posted June 20, 2000 - 09:40 PM

Dude!!! You must of graduated from Harvard just like I did...

I thought the same thing, "who the hell needs a damper when you've got steering like THIS!!!"

I just did my bearings, actually had to replace them, I've only had the bike since July 99!!!!!

If I could make just a couple suggestions;
1. Buy a new upper bearing. That is if your bike is not a 2000. When I bought the new upper bearing form my 99 it has an additional rubber gasket on the top to stop some of that grit and grim from getting in.
2. Use Silkolene RG2 grease. The stuff is awesome. I also used it on my hubs and linkage, I couldn't find any Moly lube I trusted. It actually feels better than when I bought the damn thing! It also was a high melting point to fight the frame heat from the engine oil.

Good Luck!

JJ

• John_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 20, 2000 - 02:57 PM

Actually the concept is not that far off.

My factory manual for my suzuki recommended a specific static amount of force required to move the front wheel, when the front end is off the ground.

This was measured at the end of the handlebar.

Is it recommended for dirt bikes to have the steering head bearings tightened enough so that the unit "sticks" slightly before moving. (built in steering dampening)?

Just curious.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 20, 2000 - 09:01 PM

McGrath runs his headset bearings very tight according to his mechanic..

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.