YZ seat of Scotts Damper what do you think?

34 replies to this topic
  • James_Dean

Posted June 20, 2000 - 03:19 PM

JJ,
Dampers are for wide open more, if you ride medium to tight trails cornering will be more important... Seat and tank!!! Besides, the WR is a stable bike, a CR or RM would be another story.
I had a damper on the last bike, my priority will be YZ seat and tank.

• jj

Posted June 20, 2000 - 03:25 PM

Ok here is were it stands;

wife -1
Damper -4
Seat -3
Jacket -0 (if any votes for this one Bryan said he was going to kick you off the site)

I gotta say I'm gonna keep the wife, besides she rides! Although, if did ditch her I would get lots of exercise for my HANDS and GRIP, Kevin!

I always see the silver lining!

Brian Meadows had a good point "the damper will benifit ALL riding conditions, the seat/tank combo is more selective to your riding style & terrain." Very true, like Bill said if you stand alot you wont even feel the tank and seat!

I had a friend tell me also, "You've got a seat and tank already, get the damper!"

I think I'm leaning toward the damper!

JJ

• jj

Posted June 20, 2000 - 03:29 PM

Oh good point James! You ride the same terrain I do, an aweful lot of tight technical stuff. Some wide open too...AH SH**!

• Bryan

Posted June 20, 2000 - 03:54 PM

JJ
May the force be with you.
Let your conscience be your guide.
You might consider putting locktight (blue) in your headset thereby sort of making it into a damper then just getting the seat/tank combo.

Bryan...

• Bryan Bosch

Posted June 20, 2000 - 04:04 PM

Dude, keep the riding wife. There are not a lot of them out there!

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 20, 2000 - 04:13 PM

Arm pump can (also) be contributed to gripping the bar too tight. I think it was Bill who said to grip the tank w/ your knees. If you have never tried gripping the tank, you will be amazed at what this can do. I use this method to stabilize the bike better in the whoops. It is extremely efficient. It reduces your required grip tremendously.

I always thought the stabilizer is for head shake. I have NEVER had headshake on this bike. My CR Honda, absolutely. Not this bike. Yamahas are known for their straight line stability.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark.
AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitchy & Bill?!!

• Ken

Posted June 20, 2000 - 04:54 PM

In fear of getting removed from the discussion, I will only ask if the fly fishing jacket could also be considered a riding jacket with built in tool carrying pockets?

Ken

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike

Posted June 20, 2000 - 04:59 PM

seat and tank has my vote. Get in shape and you don't have to worry about the dampner. All hype I believe. Good riding style (ie gripping the tank etc) will alieve the arm pump. Relax, grip easy let it flow and GET IN SHAPE. Save the $400 bucks. I may change my mind later, but sounds good for now. If you can't get in shape buy it next year. Seat and tank are the best fix out their I believe. Keep the wife if she lets you buy toys, those are hard to come by. DVD guys, I just got Independance day. Awesome with digital surround. see ya

Mike

• Clark_Mason

Posted June 20, 2000 - 06:04 PM

IMS seat and tank first and now. A Scotts dampener for birthday or christmas.

Clark

• Bryan

Posted June 20, 2000 - 06:21 PM

Independance day?
Good suggestion Mike. So good in fact that I think I'll spare Ken :)

I also bought the new Sony flat screen Wega TV. It's awesome. This Thurs I'm also getting a satalite. I figure it's time to step into the new century.

Matrix was my first movie to watch on the DVD and new TV and I watched it over and over. Great movie!

Oh, was this post about Dampers -vs- Seat tank? Sorry, I forgot.

Re Clarks suggestion: How about Christmas in July?

Bryan...

[This message has been edited by Bryan (edited 06-20-2000).]

• jj

Posted June 20, 2000 - 08:52 PM

The seat votes have the lead...

I dont know guys, they might have a point...

You guys are very right. Women that like to ride are few and far between. It's not her passion but it was her idea to get 4 new bikes! Mind you "they all had to be the same color". Our moto has and will continue to be to expose our kids and ourselves to as many things as we possibly can. That was some of the best advise I think I've ever recieved. I just started my 7 year old flyfishing yesterday and my 5 year old starts golf lessons next week!

Vega!!! Bryan, you've got it goin on! How big? 36 I hope. Matrix is the other movie I was try to think of, awesome flick.

Video shops are dangerous places alot like motorcycle shops. Last time I went stereo shopping it almost cost me my life! "What, $3500 for two speakers!!!", "Did I hear you correctly did you say $1000 for a sub woofer!!!!"

Anyway! No Ken, I wouldn't dual purpose the jacket!

As for arm pump, I rarely get it. (nock on wood). I guess thats another argument for getting the seat and tank.

Thanks!

JJ

• Sigster

Posted June 21, 2000 - 02:52 AM

JJ, It might be Christmas by the time this poll is over. I thought you said this was for Father's day? Anyway get the dampner...for sure keep the wife. Ride her more often to keep in shape.

• Bryan

Posted June 21, 2000 - 04:52 AM

JJ
If you don't get much arm pump, I'd go for the dual sport fishing jacket for sure. Then the seat tank combo next.

For some reason Sony spells it: Wega (sound like Vega). Must be a Japanese thing.

They also tried to talk me into the $2000 surround sound system. My wife said no. That was a good thing because when I hooked the DVD up to my normal stereo at home, it sounds freak'n AWESOME!

We must all be starved for entertainment when we get 30 something posts on this silly topic!

:)

Bryan...

• paul913

Posted June 21, 2000 - 07:50 AM

JJ - I've got it!
Spent the $500 on a trip for you and your wife to come riding in Colorado! Then, pick up the dampener on the sly later... Score the points now and beg forgivness later :)

Jake

• jj

Posted June 21, 2000 - 08:24 AM

God I wish! I would kill to be able to go to Colorado to ride, maybe someday! Who wouldn't want to ride above 12000 feet!

JJ

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.