XR650L/600R CDI box????

10 replies to this topic
  • gregman_1

Posted July 25, 2007 - 06:45 AM

Does anyone see any reason I can't use an aftermarket CDI for a 600R on my '93 XR650L? The connectors are the same and I don't see any reason why the programming would be different...:excuseme:

• martinfan30

Posted July 25, 2007 - 06:54 AM

:thumbsup:

Does anyone see any reason I can't use an aftermarket CDI for a 600R on my '93 XR650L? The connectors are the same and I don't see any reason why the programming would be different...:excuseme:

the problem is the 600 cdi runs on AC voltage and the 650l runs off of DC voltage. if can rig up an inverter to convert the 650l DC output to AC 60-500 Hz. it would work. there is another thread on this here. the concensus is that the 600 cdi has a more aggresive advance and for us 650l riders, this is something we want. problem is no one has yet actually done it yet! we are lazy like our pigs!:busted: :thumbsup:

• gregman_1

Posted July 25, 2007 - 06:56 AM

Well, I needs a CDI, so I may just give it a shot. Thanks!

• martinfan30

Posted July 25, 2007 - 06:58 AM

Well, I needs a CDI, so I may just give it a shot. Thanks!

it wont run! best get one for a 650L!!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 25, 2007 - 07:36 AM

:thumbsup:

the problem is the 600 cdi runs on AC voltage and the 650l runs off of DC voltage. if can rig up an inverter to convert the 650l DC output to AC 60-500 Hz. it would work. there is another thread on this here. the concensus is that the 600 cdi has a more aggresive advance and for us 650l riders, this is something we want. problem is no one has yet actually done it yet! we are lazy like our pigs!:busted: :thumbsup:

Someone tested a cig-lighter inverter, and it only worked up to 3200 rpm, or something like that.

So we know it needs to be more than 60Hz.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted July 25, 2007 - 08:01 AM

Someone tested a cig-lighter inverter, and it only worked up to 3200 rpm, or something like that.

So we know it needs to be more than 60Hz.

Dave

60 hz. at idle tho, right?

• gregman_1

Posted July 25, 2007 - 09:54 AM

it wont run! best get one for a 650L!!

well yeah, I know, I meant I might try to rig an inverter. My pop's an electrical genius, he might could get something to work.

• martinfan30

Posted July 25, 2007 - 11:06 AM

well yeah, I know, I meant I might try to rig an inverter. My pop's an electrical genius, he might could get something to work.

sweet! have him or you check out this post im going to bump up. another cdi discussion goes a little further.:thumbsup: :prof:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 25, 2007 - 01:48 PM

60 hz. at idle tho, right?

60hz was good enough to get it up to a few-thousand RPM, beyond that it was theorized it was not charging the cap fast enough.

Dave

• cleonard

Posted July 25, 2007 - 03:23 PM

I have done a little more studying and I'm now pretty sure that a 60Hz power transformer running from the lighting coil is a viable option for powering a magneto style CDI.

I have tested this on my XR600. My stator semi failed one day and I could not start the bike with the kick starter. I was able to roll down hill and get her going. I then rode directly back to the truck. I ended up rewinding my stator myself. Since I was not 100% sure of my work, I tested the transformer idea for backup use. I used a 12 volt AC "wall wort" type. The bike was difficult to start, but one going it seemed to run fine. This was using an unloaded single phase stator that my bike has.

The 650L has a three phase system. Just wire the transformer between 2 of the yellow stator wires. It doesn't matter which. Wire that to the 12 volt AC side of the transformer. Use the 120 volt side to connect to the CDI. One to ground and the other to the CDI. With the electric start it should get spinning fast enough to start easily.

There are two possible issues. The high frequency may cause transformer heating. The voltage regulator action may as well. Someone needs to give it a try and see if it works without undue transformer heating.

As far as transformer selection goes, something rather small would be best. Around 10 or 12 volts AC on the secondary and about 1 Amp. Not too sure on how low it could go, but I would stay above 500mA.

No guarantees here. You are on your own. While it worked for me it might crash and burn for you.

• martinfan30

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:53 AM

cleonard maybe pm me with a better description of the transformer(model, brand, etc.) and if you know of anyone or somewhere to get a 600r cdi? thanks!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.