Baja racers-what do you use to balance wheels?

14 replies to this topic
  • RdrMtn

Posted July 25, 2007 - 06:11 AM

I balanced my wheels on the 650R for the first time last night using the adhesive lead squares with duct tape. The smoothness at high speed is incredible! I was wondering what the Baja racers use for weight. I don't like the looks of my wheels with the lead squares.

• HawkGT

Posted July 25, 2007 - 06:54 AM

...The smoothness at high speed is incredible!...

:prof:

I also use lead squares. If there's a better alternative I'd like to know too.

• martinfan30

Posted July 25, 2007 - 09:47 AM

use the search for this. i started a thread awhile ago that if i remember right, got fairly big.

• NavyNuke

Posted July 25, 2007 - 01:39 PM

I use lead squares, with ductape liberally used over them, and they stick on for 1500 miles or so of mostly offroad, and sand.

however there are spoke weights that clamp on. they are more $$$ but less likely to come off. parts unlimited has them in the cataloge in different weights.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted July 25, 2007 - 10:33 PM

I've heard this stuff works well but I have never got around to trying it:http://www.innovativ....com/index.html

• ringding

Posted July 25, 2007 - 10:38 PM

i use lead solder, and melt the ends together (on the spoke nipple)

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted July 26, 2007 - 12:41 AM

You should ask this in the "baja" forum... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FZ1426

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:38 AM

You can get lead weight strips with adhesive foam tape already on it. No duct tape required.

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted July 26, 2007 - 09:13 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb here...

I've personally not used anything to balance a wheel. My personal opinion is I don't think it's necessary when riding, or racing Baja or any desert event. But I know there are a few that do ... and do swear by it.

Do the rocks I hear in my front tire (from my last crash) ruin any kind of balance?! :D ... or how about the 8oz of slime? I've heard it's self balancing. But, again... who ever knows when your getting the crap beat outa' ya anyway. :lol:

May I ask why you are enquiring (personal curiousity)? Is it just to get something more stealth?! Something that won't "fling" off in worst case scenario?!

• HawkGT

Posted July 26, 2007 - 10:55 AM

You can get lead weight strips with adhesive foam tape already on it. No duct tape required.

I've never seen them that weren't adhesive backed. Even so, after hundreds of miles off-road I've had them fall off. Now I duct tape them too.

• tdamore

Posted July 26, 2007 - 03:27 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here...

I've personally not used anything to balance a wheel. My personal opinion is I don't think it's necessary when riding, or racing Baja or any desert event. But I know there are a few that do ... and do swear by it.

Do the rocks I hear in my front tire (from my last crash) ruin any kind of balance?! :D ... or how about the 8oz of slime? I've heard it's self balancing. But, again... who ever knows when your getting the crap beat outa' ya anyway. :lol:

May I ask why you are enquiring (personal curiousity)? Is it just to get something more stealth?! Something that won't "fling" off in worst case scenario?!

Gonna agree with this. My front wheel wobbles like the flintstones and I still haul ass :excuseme: Street and Off-road :-)

• pman13

Posted July 27, 2007 - 03:03 AM

What method do you guys use to balance the wheel and to determine how much weight to put on?

• NavyNuke

Posted July 27, 2007 - 03:07 AM

I have a static balancer I got off ebay a few years ago. then just use boxing tape to attach a bunch of weights by trial and error to balance the wheel. with practice you can get pretty close to the right number of weights first try.

• HawkGT

Posted July 27, 2007 - 09:02 AM

I just use two jack stands and a metal rod. Stick the rod through the hub and place on the two jackstands. It's easy to find the heavy spot just by letting the wheel find which way it likes to "drop". I just keep putting weight opposite that spot until the wheel doesn't show any preference to where it likes to come to a rest. Pretty easy.

My settup is crude and not as accurate--I'm sure--as a purpose built static balancer. But it works well enough. I don't need them to be absolutely perfect--just close enough that I can't feel or see any imbalance when I'm doing 65mph on pavement. I've found that when my rear wheel is imbalanced it's quite hard to actually feel. But I can see it if I look down at the wheel! With no balancing weights I've been amazed how much it "hops" up and down. On one specific occasion I remember seeing a DRZ going down the freeway and its rear wheel was hopping like crazy. I though--obviously not balanced, and I bet he isn't even aware of it.

The rear is a little harder with my crude method. Since the wheel is so much heavier than the front there is a lot more drag against free-spinning. Sometimes it's hard to tell if the wheel is reluctant to "fall" one way or the other because it's balanced or because of drag.

At the moment I believe I have 2 1/2 oz on my rear wheel and 1 1/2 oz on my front. All the weight is almost directly opposite my rim locks. If I was changing tires and didn't have a way to balance them, I'd be fine with just putting two oz opposite each rim lock.

• BWB63

Posted July 31, 2007 - 12:02 PM

I balance the wheels (front and back no tires) with duel rim locks. I don't balance the wheels with the tires. So, they are not totaly balanced but, real close (much closer then one rim lock) and night and day compared to un-balanced. As you can see here the rim locks were not across from each other to balance the front wheel but, they were close on the rear.
Posted Image

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.