tire question

18 replies to this topic
  • 650_shark

Posted July 25, 2007 - 03:50 AM

I just put a Trackmaster II on my 650L a few weeks ago. I have about 130 mi street and about 30 mi offroad on the tire so far. Rode it to work today, during the ride I noticed a funny feeling in the rear. I get to work to find the tire chunked to hell. This also happened to a D606 when I had about 1500 mi on it.

What's the deal, my pressure was about 22 psi. The bike is uncorked. Is this a defect in the tire in which I can warranty? I know offroad miles can cut or damage knobs causing chunking but with a tire that has 160 miles on it??

• Huffa 2

Posted July 25, 2007 - 04:07 AM

I don't know a thing about them but did notice that they are sort of hinting to the consumer they are more for off road then on the street. With that low of milage I'd try to get a refund being that they are DOT approved although I'd have to say they should not be if others had this problem too?

" Beefed up with new stiffer sidewalls using an all new compound. The new Trak Master is more aggressive and still maintains a DOT approval. For maximum performance, these tires should be primarily used off road."

They certainly look to me like they don't belong on the road?

Posted Image

• Denn10

Posted July 25, 2007 - 05:44 AM

Sounds like it shouldnt be coming apart that quickly, i would contact manufacturer and see if they will help you out.

• 650_shark

Posted July 25, 2007 - 07:55 AM

Update

I bought the tire through Bikebandit.com, thru bikebandit Kenda is replacing the tire. Bikebandit is shipping me a new tire asap, in hte meantime I need to take my tire off and ship it back to bikebandit. Easy customer service call.

• COAL RUN

Posted July 25, 2007 - 07:56 AM

I have run both of those on the rear of my XR650L & have not had any problem with them, But I never ran that mutch air in them, I run between 12-18 PSI. The TM is the best DOT tire I have run on the rear, never tried the front

• gabriel

Posted July 25, 2007 - 07:58 AM

my dunlop d606's have over 1500 miles of street use and there isn't anything but normal wear...good thing you got a new tire.

• martinfan30

Posted July 25, 2007 - 07:58 AM

Update

I bought the tire through Bikebandit.com, thru bikebandit Kenda is replacing the tire. Bikebandit is shipping me a new tire asap, in hte meantime I need to take my tire off and ship it back to bikebandit. Easy customer service call.

now this is the type of cust. svc. that should be voiced more often.:thumbsup:

• 650_shark

Posted July 25, 2007 - 08:41 AM

now this is the type of cust. svc. that should be voiced more often.:thumbsup:

Its actually not a call, the have "Live" online chat for the customer service. It was funny, I explained what was going on and her only response was "Do you want a new tire?" I said yes, she said hold on.

I am going to run a lower pressure in the tire when I get the new one on. Maybe because of the rocks here in New England that the knobs get wrecked? Who knows but at less than 200 miles, the tire should be as good as new.

The TKII is not the best street tire but I view my XRL as dirtbike that by chance can be ridden on the road, rather than an On/Off Road bike. That's why I put knobs on it. I'm not concerned with street performance, except for a tire being to dangerous for the street. But so far I've tried a D606 and TKII on the rear, I feel comfortable on the street. Fronts, I have a Kenda Enduro 776 currently, used to run a Dunlop int-to-hard knob (non-DOT). No problems with either. The road is just to get me there and back, I'll go slow if need be to be safer, but off-road is key because that's when I'm having the most fun!

• cleonard

Posted July 25, 2007 - 10:11 AM

How fast were you going when you chunked the tires? The rubber in the Kenda is an older formulation than the D606 so I'm not surprised about the Kenda chunking. I am somewhat surprised about the D606 chunking. Usually it is heat that causes the chunking. Higher pressures reduce heat on the pavement. You might consider carrying an air pump. Run 25 or even 30psi on the pavement and then air down to 15 to 18 psi for off road. Pump them back up when you hit the road.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 650_shark

Posted July 25, 2007 - 10:26 AM

I noticed the funny, chunking feeling at about 50 mph. The D606 chunked after I did a mixture of moderately rocky trails and dirt roads. The tire did have over 1200 miles.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 25, 2007 - 02:03 PM

I'm curious here, is the chunking on the side knobs that are slanted outward?

They look to me like on the road they will chunk no matter how you air the tires.

A few other guys had chunking problems too, maybe you want a different tire ?

http://www.thumperta...=Trackmaster II

• bosshog

Posted July 25, 2007 - 06:56 PM

I run one on my 650r which is street plated aswell. I find that it's the roads that wear them down much more that off road. High speed blasts on pavement where there is no slip like there would be on dirt wears them the fastest. There is still no reason for them to chunk like they did in such a short time on your bike. The faster you go on the street the faster they'll wear out even chuck if the speeds are great enough. Price is the only reason I keep buying them.

• 650_shark

Posted July 25, 2007 - 07:29 PM

the chunking is on the middle knobs, only on the knobs with 2 squares. It looks like the 3 square blocks are ok. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. One guy on that previous thread mentions chunking in rocky terrain. The real test will be when I get the new tire, I will hit the same trails and see if it happens again. If so, then maybe new tire choice is needed.

• 650_shark

Posted August 20, 2007 - 10:50 AM

Here is a pic of the defective tire. Finally got the new replacement on and guess what......same thing happend but it only took 30 miles on the road to do it.

Posted Image

• Denn10

Posted August 20, 2007 - 11:45 AM

Time to contact maunfacturer(that right ??? LOL too hot today) What pressure you running that tire at?

• 650_shark

Posted August 20, 2007 - 12:08 PM

it was at about 20-25 psi both times it happened. Already in touch with the manufacture/retailer, I guess I switch back to the good ol' D606. Putting rear tires on and taking them off 2 times in month is no fun.

• Denn10

Posted August 20, 2007 - 12:54 PM

yeah i can imagine LOL take that tire off the list that ill ever look at even if its $10 Sorry for your bad luck but glad we have a good test dummy HEHEH

• Barkmagnet

Posted August 20, 2007 - 05:16 PM

I'm on my 3rd set now and have never had a chunking problem. I run 20-25 psi on street 10-14 offroad. They will wear quick on the street, I think mostly due to it being soft compound. The front will feather wear from hard braking. I recently aquired an extra set of wheels so I might be able to swap back and forth from street to dirt. I can usually only get about 2500 miles from these tires. Probably 75/25 street/dirt. For the money they work well for me in the Florida sand.

• 650_shark

Posted August 21, 2007 - 03:42 AM

2500 miles on the TrkM II....wow. My bike is an animal I guess, can't keep rear tires on. The tire is pretty damn good in the dirt but the chunking at 30 miles is crazy. I got a refund for the tire and now I'm waiting on a D606, I know that one is good since I had one on there before this situation.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.