New XR650L won't start help

9 replies to this topic
  • roybfr

Posted July 24, 2007 - 06:49 PM

Have a new XR650L, only put 40 miles on it and can't get it to start after sitting a month. Only mod is to remove smog stuff and it started and rode fine after that. I drained the bottom of the carb, bought and tried new plugs. Have tried the Honda flooded instructions, charged the batter. Just getting frustrated and need some ideas. My million year old TW200 with a dead battery, tons of miles, FMF pipe ect started up with just a few kicks. On the XR it just turns over, don't even get a little start and shut off. Checked the gas, the petcock. Grrr. :banghead:

• gabriel

Posted July 24, 2007 - 07:08 PM

I couldn't start my '07 XRL the other day after tinkering with it and it turned out to be that the rubber boot from the head to the carb had become disconnected. I would look at the intake system from airfilter to head just to make sure...you never know.

I would also try these:

• Check spark plug cap, make sure it's in all the way.
  • Check to make sure you have spark. Remove spark plug cap, insert screw driver into sparkplug cap and hold the screw driver about 1/8th or less from frame and crank, you should see a spark arch between the two.
  • Make sure that you have gas going to the carb. Remove gas line and turn peacock to on...fuel should seep out.
  • Check that both key switch and run switch are at the "on" position :banghead:

• Kwazimoto

Posted July 26, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Don`t let your bike sit that long!If you can`t ride it call one of your friends( like me)-we`ll be glad to keep it from going stale!

• jonr3

Posted July 26, 2007 - 10:13 AM

Like gabriel said, check to see if you're getting spark. You can also pull the spark plug and then try to start it to see if you're getting fuel to the combustion chamber. Just make sure the spark plug wire is out of the way and there is no flame nearby. (another way is to check the exhaust)

If there is a fuel/air mixture coming out of the spark plug hole (or exhaust), then your problem is most likely electrical.

• martinfan30

Posted July 26, 2007 - 02:09 PM

i know this is stupid, i have seen it. is your choke lever all the way in? mine wouldnt start with it full in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Whiteman

Posted July 26, 2007 - 06:17 PM

You may have had some crap gas from the dealer. Put some good gas in and drain your float bowl. Give her a little gas once or twice, pull the choke and hit the button. She will fire right up.

• wheelnut46

Posted July 26, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Check the "OFF" switch on the handlebar - near the throttle.

• Denn10

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:21 PM

GET R RUNNING yet???

• clfarren5944

Posted July 27, 2007 - 10:29 AM

If your bike is going to be sitting for more than a week or two try adding Sta-bil to your fuel each time you fill. Will keep fuel from causing any starting problems. I've used it for years in all gasoline fueled motors with great results!
Chris

• martinfan30

Posted July 27, 2007 - 10:47 AM

If your bike is going to be sitting for more than a week or two try adding Sta-bil to your fuel each time you fill. Will keep fuel from causing any starting problems. I've used it for years in all gasoline fueled motors with great results!
Chris

+1 on the stabil.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.