shift linkage problem

20 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 29, 2000 - 10:03 AM

Hi there...
Last night my mechanic gave me a call about my 00WR400. He tells me that the 00WR has a problem with it's transmission locking in gear at approx 80 - 120 kms into it's life.

Has anyone else heard of this? I'm only at the 60 km mark and nervous about potentially causing for damage

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted May 29, 2000 - 11:29 AM

My 2000 WR (Canadian model) has these very same symptoms. It's got 77km on it and it no longer shifts. According to the feedback to my previous post (single speed WR) it apparently is a problem with a shifter shaft pin falling out and not the tranny. I'm taking my bike to the dealer this week and I'll post the results.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 29, 2000 - 01:38 PM

thanks, for the reply.

now, do we have to wait for this thing to break, or will the dealers fix it proactivley. :) heheh ok, get up off the floor.. I'll go run it 'til it stops working.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 29, 2000 - 05:24 PM

Is this just a problem with the 2000's or the 99's too?

Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

• Matt_Porritt

Posted May 29, 2000 - 09:55 PM

Its a quality control problem with the 2000 YZs and WRs.. other years have had no prob.

**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• mcarp

Posted May 30, 2000 - 03:15 AM

I am very interested to hear if this is a common problem. So far 350 miles on the '00 and it just runs/shifts better and better each ride. First 100 miles were easy, then roosting ever since. I don't gas it on landings. Clutch or no clutch. I hope it's not a time bomb!

Please let us know happens!

• Speeder

Posted May 30, 2000 - 05:28 PM

Interesting. I've got 688 desert miles on my '00 and haven't had a problem. Hope this makes some of you feel a little better. Anybody suggest a new tire?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 31, 2000 - 11:41 AM

Actually it does make me feel a little better. I talked to the shop that sold it to me and they were in denial. They claim that Yamaha Canada has only heard of 2 instances and that the unit is strong.
here's hoping. :)

Thanks for the replies.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 31, 2000 - 12:12 PM

I´m still wait for more news, in 15 days I will buy a 2000 wr400 and I see its the best dirt bike before I had klx650r. the new honda 650 overheating a lot in tigh secction so no good for me, and now I see wr no oveheating but shift gear problems is only with thats two bikes?

• Randy_Bell

Posted May 31, 2000 - 01:48 PM

Hi Neil
A friend and I were riding about 2 1/2 weeks ago in the Hat. Just East of you and his 00 wr locked in 3rd.To it back to Blackfoot Cycle and Yamaha Canada is foot'n the bill. My question is will there be a recall or are we screwed after so long.

note: he only has 28 kms on it (12miles)

[This message has been edited by Randy Bell (edited 05-31-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted May 31, 2000 - 03:20 PM

Apparently the business to be in is Yamaha service right now. I know the economy's hot right now but the dealer closest to me said it would be three weeks before they could work on my bike :) . I found another dealer a little farther away that can get me in next Wednesday. From what I have gathered talking to these people there is a rebuild kit for the shifter assembly (with a pin that doesn't fall out!). What pisses me off is Yamaha not doing a recall on the bikes. Many of us go on long rides and to have your bike get stuck in a tall gear in the middle of nowhere would be pretty unfortunate to say the least. I haven't seen any hard data regarding the failure rate so my anger may be unfounded. But we all know that most corporations do a cost analysis regarding potential mechanical failures (even those that maybe potentially fatal, i.e. pinto gas tanks) before they do any recall. I just got back into riding and love my bike. I just pray Yamaha isn't an immoral company.

• Paul_Mooney

Posted May 31, 2000 - 04:45 PM

Originally posted by '00 in Calgary:
Actually it does make me feel a little better. I talked to the shop that sold it to me and they were in denial. They claim that Yamaha Canada has only heard of 2 instances and that the unit is strong.
here's hoping. :)

Thanks for the replies.

If Yamaha Canada has only heard of 2 instances , they must be near Toronto, Ontario/ both 2000 YZ 250's . Both guys are my friends, and they both had the problem in the last 6 weeks.....

• smrmx

Posted May 31, 2000 - 05:31 PM

you guys have me to thank for the redesigned part..... I have had my 426 in 3 times and called and bitched yamaha out for the shift assembly problems... I just hope there aren't any other problems that come up on them......

Posted June 01, 2000 - 03:33 PM

I had this problem with only 5-6 miles on my WR.After having it fixed i've put over 300 miles on it with no problem.

• Brad

Posted June 01, 2000 - 11:10 PM

I've got over 1000+ miles on my '00 with no problems. All the problems I've heard so far have occurred at relatively low miles, so it sounds like it will most likely happen when the bike is still under warranty.

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted June 06, 2000 - 05:06 PM

My bike went in the shop today, the work is scheduled for tomorrow. As I'm offloading my bike at Redwood city Yamaha the mechanic comes out to the parking lot and asks me how I like my bike. I tell him that I love it in spite of the fact It's pretty tall for me. It turns out he also has a 00' WR. Next thing you know he and I are in the shop checking out his bike and all the mod's he has made. Super friendly guy. Now I know there must be an A**hole out there somewhere but so far my experience with the WR clan has been nothing but positive. I'll post the results of my bike repair soon.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 12, 2000 - 02:10 PM

Originally posted by speeder:
Interesting. I've got 688 desert miles on my '00 and haven't had a problem. Hope this makes some of you feel a little better. Anybody suggest a new tire?

I changed to the Michelin S-12 on the front and back. The tires are the greatest. I ride in mostly sandy soil, Michigan. After changing to the Michilen's i also had to chande to a 13 tooth front sproket due to a massive gain in traction.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 13, 2000 - 04:26 PM

Ive got about 700 miles on my 2000 WR, no shift problems at all. I have an absolutely wonderful dealer, asked them if they have heard of any problems, they said no, but they will let me know if they do. I know it may sound like they are blowing smoke, but I also have a 99 yamaha warrior ATV, and had problems with that almost 6 months past the warranty was up, and they took care of it(top end overhaul). Just remember that a little loyalty to your local dealer goes a long way.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 17, 2000 - 02:25 AM

When and where in Calgary did you buy your WR? How much did you pay? Mine was $7500 with GST. I got mine from Walt Healy and so far they don't seem to be very willing to help me resolve problems. (See Backfire, and Float bowl overflow posts.) My bike has 90Km on it and now I'm a little paranoid about the shift linkage.

Where do you ride?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 19, 2000 - 07:04 AM

Actually haven't ridden off-road much at all. My schedule is pretty tight and I've had it out to McLean creek once and the to local MX track once. I bought my WR from Bow cycle and they're poor to average (with average being poor :D ) as far a dealership goes.

Although I have 25 years of street riding and some racetrack experience, my skill level in the dirt is novice. I have a couple of buds that have offered to head into the hills with me, but schedules keep changing. :) I have a standing invite to teh MX trtack for tuesdays as one bud is parenting his kids through the junior MX stuff. .. so I rip around a bit and then hang with him while intaking water.

I have the WR pegged as a long-term scoot so I am not too worrried about how many hours I have on it. ... ask tme that question in 5 years and it'll be a totally different answer. :D

so.. I wait.... and rip-up the street in the mean time.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.