XL 600 front brake hose, is it routed like this?

7 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:41 AM

I can't recall exactly how it is routed but it dawned on me the other day that it does not have it like the XR650 L's.

I think the hose possibly went from the resivoir to a metal junction elbow (by upper right triple clamp?) which had a metal tube fish thru behind light and attach to another elbow by lower left triple clamp, then that one had a hose to the caliper.

Pretty clever and wonder why Honda didn't carry this method thru to the 650?

It certainly is a cleaner look then the 650L, that's for sure.

Think you get the same lever feel from both methods? Think I could install this on my 94L? Would need a longer secondary hose from elbow to cailper I guess since it has more travel.

I had a 600 and do remember the brakes worked just as good so my ? about lever feel I probably just answered.

I looked and looked for close up shots of that area but could not find.

Detailed Pic's would be great, if anyone would kindly take some of their 83-87 600L's.

Possible the XL 350 was that way too, maybe even the XR models of those years?

:rant: That big hose going across the dash bugs me man :banghead:

Posted Image

• Denn10

Posted July 24, 2007 - 01:25 PM

MEE TOO im prolly gonna look for an aftermarket line sometime soon, id like to do more to my L but since i got my cbr i havent done much to the DS.

• Nummie

Posted July 24, 2007 - 07:39 PM

There is a short rubber hose from the master cylinder to a metal tube that drops down inside the headlight mounting bracket which then crosses over from the right to the left side of the forks between the lower tripple clamp and front fender in the space between the two front fender bolts and the two rear fender bolts.
Posted Image

Then a section of rubber hose, followed by a steel tube down the lower fork tube to the caliper.
Posted Image

These pictures kind of show it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The XL600R forks are shorter than the XR650L forks, so you might have to use a longer section of rubber hose in the lower part.
Using some stainless braided hose there would work quite well and look good also.

• gabriel

Posted July 24, 2007 - 08:52 PM

my xrl came like that

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted July 25, 2007 - 02:22 AM

Man, :thumbsup: THANKS :thumbsup: Nummie for taking the time to show all that, more then I expected for sure and for not seeing one for 20+ years I remembered something for once pretty well.

That one see thru diagram shows it GREAT!

gabriel, NONE of the 93 on up XRL's come in the above fashion, you must be confused or you have one rare L !

Like you said/I said Nummie, I'd need a longer bottom brake hose + I'd have to fab a bracket for hose since of course mine has none. My fork boots over lap the lower leg by a couple inches, RIGHT where the bracket would go, so it would take some thinking, quite a bit of thinking, maybe it would not even work? I'd have to neatly cut a section of the boot out which really have no adverse effect on anything being below the seal.

Where the clamp is, IS where the boot secures to.

Posted Image

The metal tube behind headlight and so fourth, how does that attach with those machined elbow parts, are the triples tapped out with threads or what? ALSO, the distance between both triples on bikes would have to be close to the same or the tube may not be long enough?

Are your forks pretty much topped out, (no engine in, think they would be?) why I ask is Honda seemed to give too much extra on the bottom hose?

I'm not going to knock myself out :banghead: if the project seems like there would just be too many mods to do but really would like to do it if it doesn't become to compilacted.

BTW .........Your XL looks pretty nice for an old beast :thumbsup:

original paint yet ?

• wheelnut46

Posted July 25, 2007 - 02:59 AM

There is a short rubber hose from the master cylinder to a metal tube that drops down inside the headlight mounting bracket which then crosses over from the right to the left side of the forks between the lower tripple clamp and front fender in the space between the two front fender bolts and the two rear fender bolts.
Posted Image

Then a section of rubber hose, followed by a steel tube down the lower fork tube to the caliper.
Posted Image

These pictures kind of show it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The XL600R forks are shorter than the XR650L forks, so you might have to use a longer section of rubber hose in the lower part.
Using some stainless braided hose there would work quite well and look good also.

Nummie - That's a really cool van. My friend just sold a '68 Chevy van like that, no windows except the rear doors, except his was a longer wheelbase. Hated to see it go.

I just got a Russell braided steel hose from here on TT and it's short. It's routed the same as the stock XRL hose but it bends right in the way of the trip odometer knob then crosses over to the M/C and gets in the way of the key. If it was 6" longer then it would be ok. Kind of hard to route it differently though because of the hard plastic sheathing covering most of it. It has the same type ends as the factory hose, just shorter. For now I'm living with it but I might look into changing it around come winter.

• gabriel

Posted July 25, 2007 - 08:22 AM

Nummie - That's a really cool van. My friend just sold a '68 Chevy van like that, no windows except the rear doors, except his was a longer wheelbase. Hated to see it go.

A.K.A. Rapist van.

• martinfan30

Posted July 25, 2007 - 09:46 AM

A.K.A. Rapist van.

"could ya help me load this couch in the van? my arm is broke.":busted: :naughty:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.