devol rad guard install?

6 replies to this topic
  • greentyler

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:26 AM

hey guys...

wondering any of you guys have put in your own devol rad guards...
I just got mine and went to put them on my 06 yz450 and they don't seem to fit like I thought they would.

I could have sworn that my buddies Devol's on his crf450 fit tight up against the rads, but this isn't the case at all with mine.

According to the brackets they would be floating about an inch ahead of the rads on my bike, and only securely fastened at the frame on the rad mounting locations...

does anybody have pics of their devols? or does this sound right or wrong to anybody else?

thanks for the help!

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted July 24, 2007 - 02:32 PM

After recieving and attempting to install my devol rad guards I promtly sent them back and bought WC rad cages. Better product IMHO. Also hear that unabikers are the shiznit but was concerned regarding airflow.

• greentyler

Posted July 24, 2007 - 04:55 PM

finally got em'!

looking good!

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tommyj

Posted July 24, 2007 - 06:54 PM

I was thinking of getting those same radiator guards. What was the problem you ran into during install?:excuseme:

• greentyler

Posted July 24, 2007 - 07:54 PM

the biggest problem i had was that the explanations for installing the guards were very vague. i thought that there would have been more to the install, but basically they only mount to the same mounts on the frame that the rads do. so the only thing holding these guys in place is two 8mm bolts on the frame and an 8mm bolt that attaches the shrouds to them... I just was trying to over complicate the install i guess.

another thing is that all of the mounting is very tight and you need TONS of patience when trying to line everything up.

but they turned out awesome and they seem super strong... i can't even come close to wiggling them even a bit... compared to grabbing a stock rad and moving it all over the place!

• Solo

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:16 PM

hey guys...

[...]

According to the brackets they would be floating about an inch ahead of the rads on my bike, and only securely fastened at the frame on the rad mounting locations...

does anybody have pics of their devols? or does this sound right or wrong to anybody else?

thanks for the help!

That is a rather accurate description of how they look when installed. I'm not 100% happy with the quality of the product but I got mine SUPER cheap.

• tommyj

Posted July 25, 2007 - 02:44 PM

the biggest problem i had was that the explanations for installing the guards were very vague. i thought that there would have been more to the install, but basically they only mount to the same mounts on the frame that the rads do. so the only thing holding these guys in place is two 8mm bolts on the frame and an 8mm bolt that attaches the shrouds to them... I just was trying to over complicate the install i guess.

another thing is that all of the mounting is very tight and you need TONS of patience when trying to line everything up.

but they turned out awesome and they seem super strong... i can't even come close to wiggling them even a bit... compared to grabbing a stock rad and moving it all over the place!

Cool, thanks! I'm going to get some, not sure what brand yrt. Yours looks good though.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.