07 WR450 chain cleaning

7 replies to this topic
  • Tireguy63

Posted July 24, 2007 - 08:07 AM

It seems that the O-ring chains rust easily even after I lube it w/ PJ 1. I especially notice this after washing the bike, as it is difficult to keep water off the chain when washing the bike other parts of the bike. Also, if there is mud on the chain after a ride, I like to clean the mud off and re-lube the chain.

Any suggestions to prevent rusting of the chain? (use a wire brush to clean the chain maybe?) Will a wire brush clean the rust off the chain nicely?

Thanks for your help guys.

• Murray Dorward

Posted July 24, 2007 - 09:30 AM

If Your chain gets to rusty, try the following. Put your bike up on a stand. Get a freind to help you. Start the bike and put it into first gear and SLOWLY let the back tyre turn. Take your wire brush and let it run against the chain after your chain guide. This can be dangerous if you let the tyre turn to quickly so be carful you dont to loose fingers, but if you use common sence the chain will clean up pretty well. Turn the bike off then take a clean rag and wipe the chain clean then apply a WD40 oil to penetrate the links then use a chain oil (not chain wax).

Good Luck

Muz
:ride: :sa: :ride:

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:51 AM

Spray and wipe off WD-40 to displace the water then use good quality 0-ring chain lube.

No more rust.

• WR_Dave

Posted July 24, 2007 - 02:02 PM

Do Not use a wire brush on your O-Ring chains guys. The wires will rip the o-rings off of the chain and then you have no more sealing. Go to http://pitposse.stores.yahoo.net/ and order a grunge brush. I like to run it on the chain after washing while the dirt is still wet and easy to remove, then I lube the chain right away after that. :thumbsup: WR Dave.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Beejay

Posted July 24, 2007 - 03:45 PM

Use a wire brush if you have to on the sides only, as WR Dave says, otherwise the 'o' rings will get damaged if you brush the rollers.

Wash your chain with kero if need be but all I do is staright after the bike wash before even drying the bike I spray librally with WD40 then take it for a ride around the block to throw off excess water. Never had a rusted chain yet.

• Murray Dorward

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:24 AM

Sorry forgot to say use the wire brush only on the side of the chain. Keep on forgetting to elabirate everything as if its a manual for the clueless

Muz

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:59 PM

It seems that the O-ring chains rust easily even after I lube it w/ PJ 1. I especially notice this after washing the bike, as it is difficult to keep water off the chain when washing the bike other parts of the bike. Also, if there is mud on the chain after a ride, I like to clean the mud off and re-lube the chain.

Any suggestions to prevent rusting of the chain? (use a wire brush to clean the chain maybe?) Will a wire brush clean the rust off the chain nicely?

Thanks for your help guys.

I dont grease my chain at all. Keep it clean and some light oil is fine. But after cleaning to prevent rust, I use Maxima chain wax. It will stop all rust, lubes the chain and you get no dirt build up at all. My chain always looks dry. Makes a little more noise, but I get little to no sprocket wear. Heck, its a "roller" chain, and its also an oring chain, so the areas that need lube are already lubed and sealed. So far, its been working great.

• David37

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:08 PM

After each ride, I wipe down both sides and the rollers with WD40 and then lube with Maxima chain wax or any quality chain lube that is O-ring safe.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.