chain cleaning

36 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted August 02, 2007 - 01:22 PM

In the years I have been on TT this subject has been beat to death and nothing has even been decided. :banghead: Just do a search and you’ll see. IMHO, get the dirt off, displace the water and spray it with a dry lube……..

• ccoates445

Posted August 02, 2007 - 03:00 PM

So why bother with your reply? Someone with your years of sage experience must have better things to do. :worthy: Go shake your finger elsewhere.

• byggd

Posted August 03, 2007 - 11:56 AM

I think you took my post wrong. I wasn't shaking my finger at anyone or trying to sound above anyone. I was simply trying to point out that this subject has been covered over and over again with no resolution much like the "should my head pipe glow red" subject and a simple search would avoid it from being covered over and over again.

• GCannon

Posted August 03, 2007 - 01:28 PM

byggd Hey what oil do you use?:p :p :p :p :p

• creeky

Posted August 03, 2007 - 01:55 PM

wd-40 will penetrate the seals and break down the grease inside the chain.
Your chain will last a lot longer if you didn't use wd-40 on it.

I have been using only WD40, no chain lube of any kind on my O ring chains for years, tell me why they last so long, am I just lucky?

• byggd

Posted August 03, 2007 - 02:02 PM

byggd Hey what oil do you use?:p :p :p :p :p

What ever oil my bike asks me to :smirk: :goofy: Actually I tried vegetable oil, and even extra virgin olive oil but if I don’t do as my bike asks it wont cuddle later :awww:

• ccoates445

Posted August 03, 2007 - 02:30 PM

I think you took my post wrong. I wasn't shaking my finger at anyone or trying to sound above anyone. I was simply trying to point out that this subject has been covered over and over again with no resolution much like the "should my head pipe glow red" subject and a simple search would avoid it from being covered over and over again.

First of all, I think I may have been a bit nasty in my reply and for that my appologizies. But remember that almost every thread on this site is recycled in one fom or another and thats ok because there can be 1 or 2 new takes that are fresh and thats what I'm looking for. Cheers

• ccoates445

Posted August 03, 2007 - 02:41 PM

I have been using only WD40, no chain lube of any kind on my O ring chains for years, tell me why they last so long, am I just lucky?

How long is that? He's only saying that the chain will last longer. Fact.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • shinermiller

Posted August 03, 2007 - 02:45 PM

ever tried white lithium grease? besides coating lower swing arm and some other things with overspray, this stuff will keep that chain from rusting and it repels water. they sell it at walmart, and even have a can that is for bikes/atvs.

• ccoates445

Posted August 03, 2007 - 02:45 PM

One very important requirement for chain life is proper adjustment. The chain can be dry, lubed with WD, 30 weight or your favorite flavor of pork fat, but if you forget to keep up with the adjustment, it won't last long at all.:prof:

• byggd

Posted August 03, 2007 - 05:11 PM

First of all, I think I may have been a bit nasty in my reply and for that my appologizies. But remember that almost every thread on this site is recycled in one fom or another and thats ok because there can be 1 or 2 new takes that are fresh and thats what I'm looking for. Cheers

You may be right, it's just that two or three subjects seem to resurface over and over with the same result. Nothing wrong with a couple of new opinions though. The first round is on me! :cheers:

• Bamster

Posted August 04, 2007 - 06:59 AM

In the years I have been on TT this subject has been beat to death and nothing has even been decided. Just do a search and you’ll see. IMHO, get the dirt off, displace the water and spray it with a dry lube……..

So true and the same bad and good advice still surfaces.

I have found spray silicone to be the best at not gathering dirt and creating a grinding paste. No chain lube is better than grit filled gook. I also change out the counter shaft sprocket as soon as it starts to wear , before it stretches the chain and starts to wear the rear . I get a longer life span out of the chain a rear sprocket that way. I may go through 3 fronts before I change every thing out.
Front sprockets are cheap.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 05, 2007 - 11:42 AM

In the years I have been on TT this subject has been beat to death

Oh boy has it....... :thumbsup: It's the debate that keeps giving....

For the record I use a wire brush and Chainwax.. I've been told for years not to use Chainwax by some good folks on TT but it's been a great product that protects the chain from rust and doesn't fling off. (plus I like the smell) :busted:

Dan

• kjr247

Posted August 05, 2007 - 04:20 PM

I try to spin the rust off the chain. KJR

• Matt James

Posted August 05, 2007 - 07:41 PM

After washing my bike I start it up and pull it over on the kick stand so the rear wheel is not touching. Put it in 5th gear and let the wheel spin for a minute until the water is out of the chain. Then I spray chain lube on it.

• ccoates445

Posted August 05, 2007 - 08:02 PM

I try to spin the rust off the chain. KJR

I hope your using a lefthanded rust catcher whil you do that!

• BigcahunaK

Posted August 05, 2007 - 11:01 PM

So true and the same bad and good advice still surfaces.

I have found spray silicone to be the best at not gathering dirt and creating a grinding paste. No chain lube is better than grit filled gook. I also change out the counter shaft sprocket as soon as it starts to wear , before it stretches the chain and starts to wear the rear . I get a longer life span out of the chain a rear sprocket that way. I may go through 3 fronts before I change every thing out.
Front sprockets are cheap.

This is exactly what I've been doing for years. Its the best way to get as much life out of your chain and sproket. 3 sets of 13t countershaft sprocket makes 39t altogether. Thats still less that 50t of the rear sprocket to come in contact with the chain in its life circle.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.