steering cone nut size?

7 replies to this topic
  • Henry

Posted June 16, 2000 - 12:06 AM

hi guys!
does anyone know the nut size of the steering cone nutis it 31mm? I need to grease it on this weekend.
Thank guys! :)

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 16, 2000 - 12:41 AM

Shes a 30mm Henry.. just did mine this mornig.. NO **** !! :)

I now have MORE bearings to replace.. races are evenly marked and the bearings are a little rough.

I though about putting a nipple in the headset but the cavity there is large enough to hold about 1# (0.5kg ish) of grease!
Want to loose weight .. not gain it!!

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• Henry

Posted June 16, 2000 - 07:46 AM

hi there!!
thank for your reply.
I will be greasing this weekend!
thank alot !! :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 16, 2000 - 08:26 AM

Matt, Youre right. It is a fairly large cavity but its not enough grease to make a difference. Trust me, you will never know its in there.

------------------
Darin from Missouri 1999 WR400F

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt_Porritt

Posted June 16, 2000 - 01:59 PM

Originally posted by milkman2544:
Matt, Youre right. It is a fairly large cavity but its not enough grease to make a difference. Trust me, you will never know its in there.

Yes I will!!!
Just 'knowing' its there will mae the bike HEAPS heavier!! :)
I'm just ging to have to lube they a little more often...

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 16, 2000 - 03:37 PM

If you enjoy taking your bike apart to grease, dont let me stop you. :)

------------------

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 16, 2000 - 10:55 PM

Saving 1 pound (of added weight) from not having the steering stem full of grease and taking the bike to bits to lube the bearings is cheaper than spending ALOT of cash on carbon fibre etc to loose a pound and make you bike the weight it was before the grease nipple!! :D

Would rather spend the money on carbon fibe etc and have a bike thats 1# lighter than it is now.. (but have to pull it to bits!) :)

I depends on what you're after..... grease nipples are a GREAT idea..
Yamaha have holes in the center of all the linkage bolts and holes in the sleeves.... but no hole in the side of the bolt to let grease from inside the bolt onto the sleeve and the bearing.
The bolts are hardened which makes drilling the hole on the side ALOT harder.. possibly have to use an air-arc system to do it..

------------------
--
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 17, 2000 - 06:33 AM

I guess I have to keep in mind that I used to ride a 95 XR600. And my WR feels like a 125 compared to that thing.

------------------

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.