Stealerships

6 replies to this topic
  • veetwo tls

Posted July 24, 2007 - 03:24 AM

8 mths ago i had no spark on my XR630.

[COLOR="Blue"]clic on pics for big:[/COLOR]
Posted Image

Posted Image

i pulled the plug placed it against the cyl fin & kicked over to check for spark (the usual test) NO SPARK.

so i replaced the plug = no spark
checked the coil lead & felt very suspect (like it was broken internaly) so i replaced it. the shop says as they hand me a new one its not exactly for the XR600's. its a universal one. but it will do = replaced

still no spark
ok then i'm thinking it must be internal EG: stator or the exciter. ( i had the 200W stator rewound/checked for a previous electrical problem + complete loom rewired in heavier wire approx 10,000klm ago) so off the bike goes into the shop = fixed & was the exciter.

8mths later as in now.
this last 2 months the bike has been hit & miss starting.
last thursday 9th the bike was last used & it was 2 weeks starting with no problems (first kick no choke frosty mornings) i went to start the bike monday 16th no spark.monday after work check plug no spark. i replaced with new plug no spark. WTF in the mean time been kicking my guts out & now have jelly like calve muscle from kicking the mongrel thing.
i'm thinking whats wrong now everything is replaced

so i get the shop to pick it up to fix it thinking its the exciter or stator this time again (i'm stumped as what it could be)
anyway get the bike back yesterday afternoon.

result the bloody universal coil they said should be ok . it shit it self $45AUD replaced

LABOUR: $132AUD WTF
just to undo 2 x bolts to release the seat. undo 2 x hose clamps & lift the tank off (no bolts holding the tank on) check a plug for spark which they were informed theres no spark at the plug , check the coil with a multimetre i presume = the problem. replace coil 1 x bolt reassemble tank & seat.

$132AUD labour just to do that a F*#!en 60min job :excuseme: all up in & out

TODAY:

went to start the bike this morning kick kick kick about a dozen times & fires up. ok just cold
ride to work about 4klm .
i switch off the bike & my boss says you got no lights they were working the other day.
lunch time.
kick the bike over about 30 times no spark just not firing at all **** **** ****

i undone the 2 x seat bolts 2 min job light wires are not even pluged in WTF also looked at the wires & they dont look right

i did'nt touch anything & just put the seat back on.

so i try & ring the shop to pick it up & fix it again at there cost. not open today why i dont know usualy are open

anyway my boss runs me home & i pull out the wiring diagram (custom wireing which they know & done) as i thought they pluged it up wrong.
they have it so 200W are running into the regulator through the loom.
suppose to be 100W through the loom & 100W direct to HI-beam.
hope the hell nothing has been cooked/fried

is this the bull shit all you find at the bike dealers now days or is it just this mob are so incompetent. i always though bike mechanics do courses to fix thing not **** them.............

there lucky they are shut because i think i'd lay some one out if they answered wrong at the moment.

sorry admins for the language im just absolutely pissed off & ive had a guts full paying so called professionals to do a job that they just **** up everytime.

i need to go & do a couple of hrs slaughtering to make me feel better

• philipstjohn

Posted July 24, 2007 - 04:12 AM

Sounds like the dealers in my area- I just went in to ask a few questions in both my local Honda Dealers and knew I would not leave my bike in the hands of "Billy Bob" in the shop. These dealers do not even sell the 650R, so how would they have a clue on how to repair it? Get a manual, and do it yourself. That is what Billy Bob is doing- well, maybe his boss is reading the manual because Billy Bob can't read- so they can attempt to fix the bike. They probably charged you an hour to read the manual! :rant: :censored:
Do the work yourself, and you will be happy knowing it is done right, and you will probably know right were to start is something goes wrong. :ride:

• martinfan30

Posted July 24, 2007 - 01:06 PM

i agree, even though i am a toyota tech myself. i have seen the lack of talent out there in my field and its sad. the new kids coming up are brfain dead! there is no one to replace us!:crazy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kawabuggy

Posted July 24, 2007 - 01:16 PM

martinfan 30, I could not agree with you more. I work for an automotive repair shop. We often get graduates coming to us from a well know technical institute (no, I won't say their name) inquiring about work. We previously hired 2 of them who had graduated at the top of the class. Can you see where this is going??

Anyway, to say they were under qualified to work at a fast food restaurant was an understatement. Now when others from the same place come by inquiring about work, I ask them questions that I know they won't know the answers to. If I find one that is sharp, I will give them a shot.. I have yet to find one sharp enough to make it past the 2nd question.

The future for SHARP technicians is great.. It is just too easy to get ahead in this field with so many who are so grossly under-qualified. I can imagine that the motorcycle dealerships are not much different.

As mentioned above, buy the manual, and do it yourself. Sure you will need tools, but what you save yourself over what the dealership will charge you will pay for those tools many times over. Plus, your tools should last you a lifetime if well cared for.

• martinfan30

Posted July 24, 2007 - 01:35 PM

martinfan 30, I could not agree with you more. I work for an automotive repair shop. We often get graduates coming to us from a well know technical institute (no, I won't say their name) inquiring about work. We previously hired 2 of them who had graduated at the top of the class. Can you see where this is going??

Anyway, to say they were under qualified to work at a fast food restaurant was an understatement. Now when others from the same place come by inquiring about work, I ask them questions that I know they won't know the answers to. If I find one that is sharp, I will give them a shot.. I have yet to find one sharp enough to make it past the 2nd question.

The future for SHARP technicians is great.. It is just too easy to get ahead in this field with so many who are so grossly under-qualified. I can imagine that the motorcycle dealerships are not much different.

As mentioned above, buy the manual, and do it yourself. Sure you will need tools, but what you save yourself over what the dealership will charge you will pay for those tools many times over. Plus, your tools should last you a lifetime if well cared for.

i know exactly where this is going! i was actually one of the few who came out of probably the same school you are referring too that (not to toot my own horn) actually made it up to MDT status and can actually take tests and diagnose! but i do see the new ones coming out that like we both said cant flip a burger! oh well, lets ride!!:ride:

• Kawabuggy

Posted July 25, 2007 - 10:10 AM

I agree-Let's ride!

• veetwo tls

Posted July 25, 2007 - 02:44 PM

they picked up the bike again yesterday morning 9:30am with a wiring diagram i supplied. i got a call around 1:30pm bike is ready to pick up.

wires reconnected properly this time = lights working :thumbsup:
& 1 kick it fired straight up no choke = normal for my bike :)

now off it goes for a trade-in on a KTM950SER :applause: yep lets :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.