Handle bar shake

11 replies to this topic
  • Trail Rider 7

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:40 PM

Ok my 07 650 L has a bad shake in the sand, any idea what to do?

• martinfan30

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:46 PM

Ok my 07 650 L has a bad shake in the sand, any idea what to do?

you too? when i changed to bettter dirt tires this helped alot. so did the fork brace. but i think its impossible to alleviate due to overall weight. certain mods help by lowering weight. also, something i need to do being 6'5" 230 lbs. is have the suspension worked over.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 24, 2007 - 08:13 AM

I never had it shake in the sand, but the front end sure does want to 'knife in' or 'tuck under', whatever the term for it.

Sometimes you can alleviate sand problems by wiggling the bars a little bit when going straight.

In some circles I'm know as 'dithering dave' because of this.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted July 24, 2007 - 08:26 AM

:thumbsup: LOL!

• tdamore

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:33 AM

Posted Image

If you don't have the coin, then look at your front tire\suspension setup.

• Rman of 237

Posted July 24, 2007 - 04:50 PM

Hey guys,
I've only had a shimmy once on my CR125 about 25 yrs ago hauling ass through a field full of ant beds.:busted: I recovered but it scared the hell out of me.:ride: Is it that common of a problem?
Rman

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gabriel

Posted July 24, 2007 - 06:38 PM

The XRL is top heavy and will always have problems when riding through sand, gravel, mud or any loose and deep surface, you will get used to it and be suprised how far you can "go with it" before falling (i've skidded sideways on both tires and still managed to stay upright!). I've found that the best--and I really do mean the best thing to do when riding in sand is to stand on the pegs, I know it sounds like it would make the problem worse but it actually lowers the weight of one of the heaviest things on the bike--you! When you are sitting on a motorcycle, your weight is resting on the seat and is pretty high up, when you are standing on the pegs, most of the weight is down lower becuase you are transfering the weight to the pegs instead of the seat which is higher. Get it? Try it and see that it does make a huge diference. Is this already common knowledge? In the end, i've gotten pretty used to the "being all over the place" feel (even when sitting on the seat) when im on sand and i've actually never totally fallen riding in sand or loam (believe it or not) Just my 2 Cents. Be careful and good luck :thumbsup:

PS Make sure your tire pressure isn't to high either, lowering your pressure will also help a bit (i like it at 15psi for sand, you can even go lower than that if you are riding 100% sand that day).

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 25, 2007 - 07:44 AM

The XRL is top heavy and will always have problems when riding through sand, gravel, mud or any loose and deep surface, you will get used to it and be suprised how far you can "go with it" before falling (i've skidded sideways on both tires and still managed to stay upright!). I've found that the best--and I really do mean the best thing to do when riding in sand is to stand on the pegs, I know it sounds like it would make the problem worse but it actually lowers the weight of one of the heaviest things on the bike--you! When you are sitting on a motorcycle, your weight is resting on the seat and is pretty high up, when you are standing on the pegs, most of the weight is down lower becuase you are transfering the weight to the pegs instead of the seat which is higher. Get it? Try it and see that it does make a huge diference. Is this already common knowledge? In the end, i've gotten pretty used to the "being all over the place" feel (even when sitting on the seat) when im on sand and i've actually never totally fallen riding in sand or loam (believe it or not) Just my 2 Cents. Be careful and good luck :thumbsup:

PS Make sure your tire pressure isn't to high either, lowering your pressure will also help a bit (i like it at 15psi for sand, you can even go lower than that if you are riding 100% sand that day).

Unleash the Jihad!

Mind you I agree 100%, and that there is an added benefit- standing, you are decoupled from the bike somewhat, and you can get the bike to react quicker because it doesn't have to start dragging your butt right away.

Most little corrections on sand standing have the bike weaving back-and-forth a little, little enough that your body goes straight while the bike weaves back and forth under you.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted July 25, 2007 - 08:04 AM

sounds good to me, never thought of it that way.

• Rman of 237

Posted July 25, 2007 - 10:41 AM

I've noticed riding in sand that the faster I go the more stable the bike.:busted: It's a 'catch 22' riding in tight woods though.:excuseme: It's a 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' deal.

• CRM114

Posted July 25, 2007 - 11:02 AM

When you are sitting on a motorcycle, your weight is resting on the seat and is pretty high up, when you are standing on the pegs, most of the weight is down lower becuase you are transfering the weight to the pegs instead of the seat which is higher. Get it?

I love a great physical insight. Lower the CG of the bike/rider system by standing. Totally counterintuitive but 100% correct. I guess that is why it is so much easier to balance when going slow if you stand up. And XR650LDave made a great observation too about partially decoupling the rider from the bike to get quicker directional response. Completely decoupled would actually be a bad thing though, because it would mean you were going one way and the bike was going another.

JB

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 25, 2007 - 01:53 PM

I love a great physical insight. Lower the CG of the bike/rider system by standing. Totally counterintuitive but 100% correct. I guess that is why it is so much easier to balance when going slow if you stand up. And XR650LDave made a great observation too about partially decoupling the rider from the bike to get quicker directional response. Completely decoupled would actually be a bad thing though, because it would mean you were going one way and the bike was going another.

JB

To be a total physics notzie, its not lowering the CG of the bike by standing, but changing where the weight is applied, and decoupling the bike CG from the rider CG.

But, it still works great!

When you stand, the combined system CG moves up, but the decoupling gives back more than that takes away.

I guess it is correct to say that since you are decoupling them, the CG of the bike alone is lower than that of the combined rider-on-seat and bike.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.