Front tire always feels like its flat, but its not

I have a 2006 CRF250x. I am 2 clicks to the stiff on the front forks, otherwise, no changes. The tire has plenty of tread left, and I am running typically 12 to 15 psi in the front, depending on were I am riding (rocks or not). The front tire always feels like its flat, meaning, it wants to roll out from under me all the time. It did not do this when it was brand new. I am wondering if I have a seal leak and I am way low on fluid????? I don't see it though if it did. It really sucks, the front end is so unstable, any ideas?

2 things to try 1st: Put the bike up on a stand, front end off the ground. Check to make sure the steering moves free; ie. no tightness in the steering stem bearings. Then pull off the front wheel and manually compress each fork. If you have a damaged or defective one you will feel it as compared to the other. I guess the factory front tire is a real crummy one, you might want to invest in a new tire as well.

There's a mouthful!!!!

That Dunlop D742 is a complete POS. It washes out constantly.

The ONLY thing that I have ever heard that makes it passible is running 18psi in it. That stiffens the sidewall enough so that it doesn't want to roll under.

Run 18psi and start looking for a real tire now.

What tire do you recommend? I run in hard pack, light rock, sand, mud.....well, pretty much everything really.

I still have the stock front tire and I am stupid for it... I have the same problem like you.. always washes out, thought it was my suspension... I will be getting a new front tire as soon as my wallet thickens up a bit...

But considering it is a new bike I would try the tire first!

Good luck!

Thanks for the input, I am going to be rid of the tire today. I am up in Montana riding and don't have a Cycle Gear close by like we have in Phoenix to just run and buy a tire, but I need one, can't ruin my vacation with this piece of crap tire.

I have a 2006 CRF250x. I am 2 clicks to the stiff on the front forks, otherwise, no changes. The tire has plenty of tread left, and I am running typically 12 to 15 psi in the front, depending on were I am riding (rocks or not). The front tire always feels like its flat, meaning, it wants to roll out from under me all the time. It did not do this when it was brand new. I am wondering if I have a seal leak and I am way low on fluid????? I don't see it though if it did. It really sucks, the front end is so unstable, any ideas?

You stated that you did not notice this problem when the bike was new--since you haven't changed the front tire, I wouldn't be too quick to assume the tire is at fault. While a different front tire may well work better under conditions out west, the Dunlop D742 is a great tire for eastern conditions--softer soils, mud, roots, ruts and the like. Tire choice depends a great deal on What you ride on, and HOW you ride. I would suggest that you check your rear suspension sag adjustment, which has a major impact on how the front end sticks in corners, and may well have changed since the bike was brand new.

Like all the others stated the tire could be the main culprit. I would also suggest playing with your rear sag setting (105-115mm) depending on your preference. I have found as much as 115mm works to get the front end more planted. You might want to take a look at your rebound and compression dampening. Turn both to full soft then begin with the rebound clickers (bottom of fork). Keep adjusting until the front end feels stable then do the same with the compression adjusters (top of the fork). This should get your front end sorted out.

There's a mouthful!!!!

That Dunlop D742 is a complete POS. It washes out constantly.

The ONLY thing that I have ever heard that makes it passible is running 18psi in it. That stiffens the sidewall enough so that it doesn't want to roll under.

Run 18psi and start looking for a real tire now.

i still have my stocker and i never have a problem and it isnt because im not riding it hard, trust me. maybe its a little better in NJ than California.

I took off the 742F and put on a 755 and problem solved, bike planted like never before! And by the way, I bought the bike new in March and only had about 500 miles on that POS! My sag is set perfect using the R spring, I weigh about 180 lbs, so I did not think that was the issue.

• Like 1