03 YZ450F Won't Start

9 replies to this topic
  • BigBearzFan

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:46 PM

Here are the details. I am new to the 4 stroke scene. Had lots of 2 strokes. Went riding yesterday with my son and couldn't get the bike to fire at all. Changed the plug and it seemed somewhat gassy. We ended up pull starting it and it ran for about 3 laps. But it seemed to act as if was choking. It died and hasn't started yet. The carb was cleaned this spring and the bike has been riden at least twice amonth since April. The last couple times out it had been getting harder and harder to start. I have had the bike about a year and have done no engine work to it besides oil changes and carb cleaning. A couple of guys at the track said the top end probably needs redone. What are some thoughts? Carb problems or top end? It has good spark. What kind of compression should I seen on a gauge? Any help would be great.. Thanks

• whyzee79

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:49 PM

Check the idle. Last time I ran into that quirkiness was when it was too low. Just a quick easy idea. :)

• BigBearzFan

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:07 PM

I have moved it from 1 extreme to the other. It didn't help

• 642MX

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:14 PM

Have you checked the valve clearances?

• BigBearzFan

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:19 PM

No, Would that be al ogical place to start

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Quack

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:24 PM

I would prolly go thru the carb again first. What readings are you getting on the compression guage? Remember there is a compression release on these bikes, so getting a reading might take a special guage. Checking valve clearance is not a bad thing to look at also. When did you clean your air filter last? Make sure the accelerator pump in the carb isnt tore.

• BigBearzFan

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:27 PM

I havent done a compression check yet. Just trying to gather info on were to go and what to check. All good info thanks everyone

• Ga426owner

Posted July 24, 2007 - 05:12 AM

Typically thare are only 3 reasons it will not start after changing a plug

1 - carb is dirty jets clogged or bad gas, or air filter is too moist
2 - CDI - electrical issue
3 - needs a valve adjustment

most likely it is 1 or 3
when was the last time the valves were checked?
How many hrs are on the bike?

• BigBearzFan

Posted July 24, 2007 - 08:24 AM

I don't know about the hours I have put around 20 hrs on it maybe. The spark looks good.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 24, 2007 - 10:51 AM

Is the fuel screw still in the carby? They can unwind and fall out, and the open hole allows too much air in the fuel mix. If it's still there, make sure it's got an o-ring on it too(and a spring to hold the screw in place)

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.