Is it okay to mix oil brands?

15 replies to this topic
  • nickeenoo

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:16 PM

Hi All,

I am about to do an oil change and have several brands of oil but only one quart of each. I read in the manual that the WR450 takes just over a quart for a full oil change (oil and filter). One, am I correct in the amount of oil, and two, is it terrible to use two different brands of oil if they are the same weight? Also, would it matter if the oils were synthetic or dino? This is my first oil change so I'm not exactly sure how much oil the bike will use.

My gut says don't do it, but I really don't want to go to the store for oil tonight (we have a ride tomorrow).

Thanks,

Nate

• dmoney1074

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:23 PM

You will be okay... just ride then change it again. I mixed rotella w/ yamalube one time with no ill results...

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:28 PM

just DON'T mix synthetic and dino oil together.

• nickeenoo

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Nate

• Mutu

Posted July 24, 2007 - 09:15 AM

just DON'T mix synthetic and dino oil together.

Why? :excuseme:

• Bakemono

Posted July 24, 2007 - 01:16 PM

Dont mix brands of oil together. A lot of times the oils can have bad reactions to each other and cause sludge inside your engine.
Just go buy some more oil, its not that expensive.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted July 24, 2007 - 01:48 PM

Why? :excuseme:

because they don't mix together. They stay separated.

• Oldsmobiler

Posted July 25, 2007 - 08:31 PM

because they don't mix together. They stay separated.

WRONG....synthetic mixes just fine with conventional oil. They are very compatible.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted July 26, 2007 - 12:00 PM

WRONG....synthetic mixes just fine with conventional oil. They are very compatible.

That's what I thought..... hence semi-synthetic oils!

• Oasis_Flame

Posted July 26, 2007 - 01:08 PM

Ever heard of synthetic-blend? Castrol GTX makes it.

• ed563

Posted June 28, 2011 - 12:16 PM

what about pre-mix oil. can u mix brands and synthetics?

• gsa102

Posted June 30, 2011 - 08:46 AM

I have always been told not to mix Syn premix with dino. Don't know why.

To me, oil is so cheap, why take a chance that you happen to find the two kinds that aren't compatible? Especially in your expensive high performance dirt bike. Run the leftovers in your lawn mower. It is easier to explain to your wife that you need a new mower.

• YHGEORGE

Posted June 30, 2011 - 08:50 AM

Ever heard of synthetic-blend? Castrol GTX makes it.

As does EVERY other mfg.

• ewr2004

Posted June 30, 2011 - 05:53 PM

My friend not only mixed different manufactures and weights, but also conventional with semi-synthetic. On his first kick start the bike blew-up in a gigantic ball of flame (Hollywood style). He was lucky to escape with his life and only had some singed hair on his arms.

HE WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!

• ed563

Posted June 30, 2011 - 11:10 PM

My friend not only mixed different manufactures and weights, but also conventional with semi-synthetic. On his first kick start the bike blew-up in a gigantic ball of flame (Hollywood style). He was lucky to escape with his life and only had some singed hair on his arms.

HE WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!

LOL, good to know. thnks for passing this information on.

• gsa102

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:25 AM

Umm ... sounds more like he had a gas leak somewhere...oil will not burn rapidly like gas UNLESS it is pumped through a fine orifice into the air as an ultra fine mist, and then needs a high energy ignition source, like in an oil furnace. Mixed brands of oil are all still oil...

Edited by gsa102, July 01, 2011 - 08:31 AM.
more info

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.