WR Pipe For My YZ?

11 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:06 PM

Would an 07 WR450 Pipe fit my 07YZ450? How would my bike run with it on there? I can afford a few ponies, I just need to get my bike quiet for the private tracks I ride.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:16 PM

I wouldn't waste my time with the WR pipe, there are plenty of options out there that are quiet and still perform well- Leo Vince is particularly well known for being quiet but still performing well. I've heard the WB E2 is fairly quiet, but doesn't really do much for the bike. How big of an issue is the sound? I have the new style Dr. D on my 06 and I'd almost put money on the fact that it would pass a 96 dB test.

• 02YZ426

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:23 PM

I wouldn't waste my time with the WR pipe, there are plenty of options out there that are quiet and still perform well- Leo Vince is particularly well known for being quiet but still performing well. I've heard the WB E2 is fairly quiet, but doesn't really do much for the bike. How big of an issue is the sound? I have the new style Dr. D on my 06 and I'd almost put money on the fact that it would pass a 96 dB test.

Well the quieter the better. These 2 private tracks I ride at make you run the db dawg.. it won't fit my 07 exhaust though. I would like to be at or under 96db for these 2 tracks.

• cowboyona426

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:30 PM

Give the Dr. D some serious thought, it's pretty quiet for not being sold as a quiet pipe. A little trick that works, but is kind of tacky, is to zip-ty an old piece of inner tube to the end of the muffler to deaden the sound. I wouldn't imagine it would hurt performance much if any, and may keep the neighbors from whining.

• mj2412

Posted July 23, 2007 - 11:12 PM

Hello, if you can wait a little bit, the original exhaust of the YZF450 2008 in Europe will have a 94db. It is not the short version like the US will get but it is similar to the 07 pipe. 94db is the new standard in europe starting in 2008.

Martin

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 24, 2007 - 01:01 AM

Would an 07 WR450 Pipe fit my 07YZ450? How would my bike run with it on there? I can afford a few ponies, I just need to get my bike quiet for the private tracks I ride.

I would like to hear a yes or no on your question as well, a buddy of mine has a WR takeoff exhaust that's brand new that he would sell me for dirt cheap money. I need a USFS approved S/A to ride at our New Hampshire state trail systems (and they trout troopers are actually checking your exhaust for the tag, and the screen).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2007 - 06:54 AM

The best way to get something definitive at this point would probably be to post over on the WR side with a question as to whether an '06-7 YZ450 pipe fits an '07 WR. That has a lot better chance of having been tried than the opposite proposed here.

Just guessing by how things have been done in the past, I'd say it would fit.

• bg10459

Posted July 24, 2007 - 09:36 AM

Also just a guess, but I'd say it will fit, too. You will probably need to re-jet smaller across the board, but at least a smaller main. I know I had to go the other way when I put a YZ pipe on my WR.

• CROGGR

Posted July 24, 2007 - 12:35 PM

I would like to hear a yes or no on your question as well, a buddy of mine has a WR takeoff exhaust that's brand new that he would sell me for dirt cheap money. I need a USFS approved S/A to ride at our New Hampshire state trail systems (and they trout troopers are actually checking your exhaust for the tag, and the screen).

The whole pipe will fit on your YZ. The header on the wr is a smaller diameter than that of the YZ so you would have to modify the exhaust gasket if you just want to use just the rear tail section of the pipe. It won't run very well and you would be much better off running the WB E2 with the spark arrestor in. This combo will be really really quiet and will actually put out more peak power with a smoother transition as it revs through the power band!

• SXP

Posted July 24, 2007 - 07:37 PM

The best way to get something definitive at this point would probably be to post over on the WR side with a question as to whether an '06-7 YZ450 pipe fits an '07 WR. That has a lot better chance of having been tried than the opposite proposed here.

Yes, it does fit. I'm running a 07 YZ pipe on my 07 WR. The only problem is I had to get a header adapter/collar (from FMF) for the pipe-header junction as the stock WR header is much smaller in diameter than the YZ header. On the other hand I could have just transferred (or bought) the stock gasket from the WR pipe to the YZ pipe but wanted to keep the WR pipe ready for a quick swap if necessary.

• BC3

Posted July 25, 2007 - 10:53 AM

Just install it and listen to how loud it is :excuseme:

• Messa

Posted February 08, 2008 - 04:15 PM

Due to the different header pipes, wuou may need to get an entire system off a WR.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.