Removing Chain Guard XRL

14 replies to this topic
  • axarob44

Posted July 23, 2007 - 03:55 PM

Ok Guy's. What do you do with that tab of aluminum on the inside of the left swing arm when you remove the plastic chain guard. Not the two studs that bolt it on. It looks like it would effect the size of tire you can run because that aluminum piece would be in the way. Do you just break it off ( ). It looks like it would come off quite easily. Or, leave it:thumbsup: :thumbsdn: ?

• Bibleman

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:07 PM

Hi Ax. I was pondering taking mine off too, mainly because I go for the "minimalist" look. But after pondering the benefit of the built in mudguard I came to the conclusion that the functional benefit outweighs any other aesthetic benefit. In your case, I think it might be better to wait until you switch to a tire that won't clear - if you ever do. At that time, I think a dremel tool with the appropriate attachment would easily do the trick. Remember, however, it would be difficult to go back to the original set-up.

• axarob44

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:15 PM

Yes, I know what your saying about going back to the chain guard. I took it off so I can get at the chain more easily. Like you said, maybe wait and see when changing to a bigger tire. I have a little way to go on the stock Dunlops. I would hate to take it off and then need to go back to it for what ever reason. Andy

• truck6driver

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:48 PM

I left mine on and was running a 5.10 x 18 tire and still had room left over. The mud gaurd bibleman was talking about was the one, in front of the tire, that keeps mud from getting thrown on the rear shock. If I'm wrong bibleman correct me please.

RH

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 24, 2007 - 08:10 AM

I had to take off the chain guard to fit my teraflex, but the tire cleared the tab.

The 'flex did pick up a stick and bend the tab, though, and since it was cracked a little I flexed it a few times and it broke off clean.

I don't think there's a tire out there that will hit the tab, but it might get broken off anyway.

Dave

• Rockjockey

Posted July 24, 2007 - 09:46 AM

I removed my chain guard as well because it was ugly but, when my better half wanted to go for a ride I made a minimal guard to keep her pants clear of the chain. This led me to making a chain guide and a disc protector as well. Does anyone else here like making their own aftermarket parts?
Posted Image

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted July 24, 2007 - 10:15 AM

nice pieces!! i bet that shark fin didnt cost you over 100.00 either!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • axarob44

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:13 AM

Yes, I was talking about the tab, not the mud guard. I guess if a Terraflex doesn't hit, nothing will, so I guess I'll leave it there for now. I sure does look like it would get in the way though. Thank you guys for the heads up.:ride:

• brightman

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:50 AM

i cut all mine off and ground them smooth and polished it so it looks like there never was any there,and have a pirelli 150 on the back for street use and the clearence and look was worth it

• Denn10

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:59 AM

i left mine be i figure its not a show bike so im not worried about it and somewhere down the line someone may want to reinstall it. Im sure it does look nice with the tabs removed and cleaned up though.

• martinfan30

Posted July 24, 2007 - 12:44 PM

i left mine alone too. i run the big mt21 no prob.

• Kwazimoto

Posted July 24, 2007 - 04:35 PM

I don`t know about Ohio but in some states it`s considered a safety item and must be on the bike for annual vehicle inspections.

• Bibleman

Posted July 24, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Just for the record, the mud guard I was referring to is the part of the chain guard that keeps mud from being slung off the side of the tire onto the chain. Also, the above mention of legality is another consideration. I remember failing inspection in NJ in the 80s when I had an XL600 and took the chain guard off.:prof:

• Huffa 2

Posted July 25, 2007 - 03:01 AM

I don't find a thing wrong with the stocker :excuseme:

It's light, doesn't look bad to me, plastic, so it won't rust and serves a double purpose.

Rockjockey, your way looks like it could have a possibility of a branch/rock/whatever jamming in between the chain and plate, the stocker, being the shape it is and flexible will allow anything that might get picked up to most likely pass right thru ? Highly unlikely I guess, but does seem there is more of a chance then the stocker?

• Rockjockey

Posted July 25, 2007 - 03:19 AM

I guess anything is possible but, I have a bike for offroad and this one is not it. I use the 650L for pavement, maybe an occasional median if traffic comes to a complete halt. There is no back on the guard I made, just a piece of diamond plate aluminum roll formed along the top edge.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.