Springs and things

11 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 13, 2000 - 10:46 AM

After an hour phone call trying to order the right shock/fork springs for my weight, my "helpfull" dealer says I need a 5.0 shock for the rear and .46 for the fork springs. He said stock for a 2000 WR is 4.8 for the shock and .42 for the forks and that the ones he recommends are the stiffest I can get from Yamaha.

I weigh 210 with no gear, am 6'2", ride mostly sandy trails with a LOT of whoops but do other general riding as well (mx track maybe twice a year max), and would consider myself intermediate (riding my whole life but not competing).

Is my dealer right about what he says? I tried several different pages on the internet and got wildly differing numbers. I appreciate (much) any help...

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 13, 2000 - 11:19 AM

Did the linkage ratios change dramatically between '99 & '00? I ordered a 5.7 (or 5.8) & .48 for my '99 based off the info from the Race Tech web page. These are considerbly higher rates than the heavy springs listed in my manual - I weigh 250 lbs.

Brian

• Airastro

Posted June 13, 2000 - 11:23 AM

I have a set of stock 2000 YZ 426 springs sitting around if you are interested. The fork is.46 and the shock is 5.4. I only used the springs for 3 shorts rides before i switched them out. Let me know if you are interested. I would let them go to where you would save money, and I can recoup some of my money that I put into the new springs.

• Bill

Posted June 13, 2000 - 11:59 AM

Go to Race Techs web site. They have a chart that captures your persomal riding information and specifics. Then provides you with spring rates and valve recommendations. It will not give you the specific valve unless your a member but it will tell you what springs to use.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 13, 2000 - 12:26 PM

Race tech says .445 for the forks and
51052.000 for the shock... does anyone know if that means 5.1 when comparing to the other numbers (4.6/5.0 etc.)?

• MotoGreg

Posted June 13, 2000 - 06:25 PM

The yz400 and wr400 both use the same .46 fork springs for '98-'00 models.

The rear spring is a 5.0 for the wr400 and a 5.4 for the yz400.

Sounds like your dealer is trying to sell you the same thing you've already got, nice guys. I'm about 220 lbs. and I run .47 fork springs and 5.6 shock spring with 13mm of preload. I'm riding mostly MX now but for offroad I just soften the fork compression a few clicks. You should be fine with the stock fork springs but a heavier shock spring is a must for your weight.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted June 14, 2000 - 02:47 AM

I think I have read here that the YZ and WR front springs were also different rates. You may want to do a search in the archives.

Bill

• MotoGreg

Posted June 14, 2000 - 05:28 AM

Bill, I did research that and they are both .46, most people assume that the yz is different but it's not.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Bill

Posted June 14, 2000 - 05:50 AM

Moto-Greg,

That's to bad. I think I read it here somewhere. I was hoping my buddy with a YZ who rides Hare Scrambles and is lighter than me would trade for my WR springs because I'm heavier and ride mostly MX. Figure that out?

Thanks for the clarification.
Don't get any roost on you.
Bill

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 14, 2000 - 05:55 AM

Motogreg, thanks for the info; I am going to call my friendly dealer and see what they have to say for themselves...

It seems that any of the dealers I call don't know @#$$ about anything.

• Brad

Posted June 14, 2000 - 06:40 AM

Realize that if you live in Europe, the stock 2000 spring rates are .42 and 4.8. I'm not sure what the European springs were in 98 or 99.

Brad

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 14, 2000 - 06:49 AM

Well guys, thanks for all the help. With all of your comments and some help from Race-Tech, here is what I am going with to start:

Forks:
stay with stock springs: .46
compression: click 12
rebound: click 12

Shock:
Get heavier spring: 5.6
compression: click 15
rebound: click 12

I have to add, this forum is unbelievaby excellent, and I don't know how I would manage without it... :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.