Spark Plugs...

4 replies to this topic
  • ButtonFly

Posted June 12, 2000 - 06:21 PM

Fouled my first plug today (too much lugging around maybe, or rich low speed circuit?) and I accidently tossed a CR8E in my gear bag, although I another stock plug. The CR8E is the same dimensions and identical in appearance. It is what I run in my FZR600. I tossed it in, and ran it back to the truck through about 10 miles of sand dunes, mostly rolling hills. Question is, what did I hurt, or can I run this plug? The stock Denso U24ESR-N is fouled. Can anyone give me a background on plugs, and the like? Thanks.

• ButtonFly

Posted June 12, 2000 - 06:27 PM

Nevermind, I missed the mention of the CR8E in the manual in my frantic flipping through. You can run the CR8E, as per the manuals two choices (NGK or Denso). And now a new question, is Denso short for Nippendenso? I remember hearing that name somewhere, but I don't know where... thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 12, 2000 - 06:56 PM

It is short for Nippondenso. I use to swear by these plugs, but can no longer find them. I am presently running a Splitfire in my WR.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark.

Moab bound for 2000!!

• Bryan Bosch

Posted June 13, 2000 - 06:06 AM

Are Splitfire plugs hype or real? Can you REALLY tell the difference from a Denso or NGK?

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 13, 2000 - 07:35 AM

Bryan,
I used to own a 1976 Kawasaki KS125 dual purpose, rotary valve induction 2 stroke. It came stock with an NGK. The main jet was off, and being a 14 year old kid, maintenance was filling it up with gas. I put in the ND Hot U plug and the bike immediately ran great. The plug had a good burn color to it.
My 91' CR had a cold fouling problem. I switched to a projected tip NGK plug as recommended by Eric Gorr. The fouling was histroy but the burn wasn't perfect. I switched to the ND Hot U equivalent and my CR ran perfect too. One ENTIRE season, I used the same plug!
The Hot U has a u shaped groove in the electrode. ND claims the U groove helps shape the burn and contain the spark better. It may be hype, but I do know for a fact every bike I have put them in, which is every bike I have owned (7) since 1977, runs very good with a good burn. I run them in my car too. I know Dennis Kirk sells ND, but I am not sure if they have the right plug. The Splitfires are cheap ~$3.50 through Dennis Kirk. I figured if this plug can keep me from fouling out miles from home/vehicle, it is worth every penny.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark.

Moab bound for 2000!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.