Moab - shipping & tire selection

3 replies to this topic
  • AngryCandy

Posted June 12, 2000 - 08:38 AM

Bryan & Freezer....

Freezer, you out of the hospital yet? I certainly hope so. Bryan mentioned that you were going to check a shipping company that you had used before to get your bike to Denver...any progress?

Dougie & other Moab frequenters...

What would you recommend for tire selection? I know it's very rocky & the slickrock holds like epoxy (good & bad...can't spin the rear climbing steep hills)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Dougie

Posted June 12, 2000 - 04:07 PM

To be honest, I really don't think it is going to matter. It will get chewed up anyway. I would go with a tire that is has a hard terrain rating.

Last time I needed a new tire before we went so I put on a cheap IRC. It lasted the weekend.

If you have a pretty new tire, you will probably make it. If you have a worn tire, bring a new one with you. Fred sells tires but they are expensive.

Dougie, '99 WR400
Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 12, 2000 - 07:07 PM

Wouldn't the hard terrain tire have a shorter life in the rocks?
Hard terrain = soft compound

• paul913

Posted June 13, 2000 - 04:48 PM

Doug’s got it. Everything from a Dunlap 755 to a Pirelli MT21 will do fine. If you run a soft terrain tire, you may get the best hook-up in the sand and decent ware. We run through a rear every 200 miles (2-3 days) or so out there. Usually, Saturday night is spent cussing over a new tire.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.