2001 WR426F Announced

6 replies to this topic
  • James_Dean

Posted June 08, 2000 - 07:59 PM

Yamaha USA has the WR426F, WR250F, and YZ250F models pictured on the yamahausa.com web site. The WR426 and WR250 look like they have aluminum silencers. The YZ250 revs to a claimed 13,500rpm. Maybe we will need some new forums Bryan.
James Dean

[This message has been edited by James Dean (edited 06-08-2000).]

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 08, 2000 - 10:14 PM

I'm VERY dissappointed in Yamaha...

2 reasons:
1: for bumping the WR to 426.. now its in with the big boy enduos not the big boy in the 400 class.
2:For using a poxy 660 roadbike engine in their new quad.. they have the 426 engine already and its been raced and is holding up v.well.
So they go and use a STREETBIKE engine in a race bike instead of a race engine!?!

Comeon Yammy!!
I don't want to turn green next year! :)

Compliments with the YZ/WR250F though.. going to change the 250 4st scene.

**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 11, 2000 - 08:57 PM

Mr. Porritt: What new quad are you refering to? Where can I find info on it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt_Porritt

Posted June 11, 2000 - 10:45 PM

Its called the Raptor.
Prob find it on Yamahas Website! :)
Either that or find it at www.motorcycledaily.com.. About the 7th of this month.

Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 12, 2000 - 05:17 AM

I'm VERY dissappointed in Yamaha...

Matt, Are you crazy? If there's one manufacture out there producing state of the art bikes and changing off road racing it is Yamaha!!! Personaly im really happy that the 400 is a 426 now. I feel as though Yamaha has neglected the WR for 2000, They need to keep up with the competition and they did it with the WR426, thank god it doesnt have the E-button!!! Did you say you want to go green? Whatever! Dan
ps. How about the 250f's? Not too shabby!

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 12, 2000 - 10:09 PM

You didn't read my post fully.

My reason for being dissapointed in them is for (as I said) bumping the WR into the next class... its now the SMALLEST of the open enduro bikes.. while before IT was the big boy of the mid sizes.
Their quad is v.similar to the DS650 (which was basically a flop).. why not use the 426or400 engine?.. its a proven, powerful offroad engine..
The 660 engine they used is a> heavier than the 400 b>never been offroad c>puts less hp to the countershaft than the 400.
They are the reasons for my dissapointment.

The 250Fs are great.. and wil really change the small bore scene

Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• PSC

Posted June 13, 2000 - 07:11 AM

Possible Reasons for the 660 ...

1. Already has E-start and bigger magneto.
2. Easier to modify to fit reverse ?
3. More reliable (i.t.o running all day WOT)
4. Better torque ?
5. Nice big parts bin :)
6. Cheaper ? (see 5)
7. Used by MZ (see 5)

The engine appears to have been changed a bit since the SRZ660 (roadbike), which used to redline at 7250RPM (waste of 5 valves), the raptor appears (according to rumour) to rev to 9000RPM.

Have to agree on the YZ250F :D

Paul Card

[This message has been edited by PSC (edited 06-13-2000).]

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.