Are the torque limiter and starter clutch are different parts?

My 03 wr450 started making a whining sound when i hit the e-start. It still kick starts and runs fine. I bought the bike used and don't know any of the starter upgrades have been done. If i get the parts for the 04 upgrade will that fix my problem. Or will i most likely need a new starter clutch also?

My 03 wr450 started making a whining sound when i hit the e-start. It still kick starts and runs fine. I bought the bike used and don't know any of the starter upgrades have been done. If i get the parts for the 04 upgrade will that fix my problem. Or will i most likely need a new starter clutch also?

Just went through this on my 03, bought it used, and the starter would not engage. I took the bike apart, and it had all the old parts, and a broken starter clutch.

When my starter clutch was broke the bike would not start with the starter. the starter would spin, but it would not engage the engine. The starter clutch is attached to the flywheel.

The torque limiter is real easy by sight if it is the new style or not. THe new style torque limiter requires a new idler gear cover. The new cover has a protrusion , and the old style cover is flat. If you have the flat cover the torque limiter was not upgraded. there is also a bushing needed to finish the job.

If you take off the idler gear cover, you can see if your starter clutch is bad or not. take the idler gear(torque limiter) out, and see if you can turn the starter clutch in both directions. If you can it is broken. Take a good look at your starter gear on the starter to make sure there are no teeth missing, and make sure you have the rest of the upgraded parts. PM me if you need any help!!?

Dave

I suggest that you go to wr450.com, study the parts and pictures for the starter upgrade, then take your bike apart to see if its been done yet. While its apart, you may want to dis-assemble the starter, clean it, and replace the brushes. There should be some old threads telling how to do this. Possibly its the cause of your starter noise.

Oh, and don't forget to thank Dave (and Dan?) for putting the upgrade info together for us. ?