Used WR450 Issues to check for???

7 replies to this topic
  • LeeR

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:18 AM

I'm looking for a used WR450 to build up as a dualsport and was wondering if there were any year model specific issues or problems that I should look out for?
Thanks!

• ETP

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:57 PM

I'm looking for a used WR450 to build up as a dualsport and was wondering if there were any year model specific issues or problems that I should look out for?
Thanks!

As far as major issues go, the first year 03 should have the starter mechanism upgraded, but besides that, the bikes are pretty solid.
Many little tweaks and mods to do on all year models to get them dialed in though......

• Beejay

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:27 PM

04/05/06 all reliable bikes & I presume the 07 will be as well.

• ajetmech

Posted July 23, 2007 - 10:40 PM

As with anything the more it is taken care of the better it is dont matter what it is. I would not give up my 06 WR450 for anything except an 08 WR

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DB_Cooper

Posted July 24, 2007 - 03:06 PM

Beware The 03 Models, They Have A Poor Flywheel "key" Design And Have Been Known To "funky" Time And Granade Rods!!! Ez/hard Cure Is To Split Cases And Replace Crank/rod Assy With Newer Wr Model.
[before Rod Explodes Of Course!]

• LeeR

Posted July 24, 2007 - 06:12 PM

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I needed to know...

• ETP

Posted July 25, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Beware The 03 Models, They Have A Poor Flywheel "key" Design And Have Been Known To "funky" Time And Granade Rods!!! Ez/hard Cure Is To Split Cases And Replace Crank/rod Assy With Newer Wr Model.
[before Rod Explodes Of Course!]

This is kinda the short version of a much longer story:

Cases breaking, etc, was worst case scenario, and only happened to just a hand full of bikes early on. The starter system of the 03 didn't have a torque limiter in it, so the flywheel woodruff key was breaking as the energy needed some place to go during an engine backfire.

After the 04 upgrade became available, the problem went away and stayed away on the 03's with the new parts.
The parts are about $200 to upgrade and not a big deal to install.

• VB_Racing

Posted July 25, 2007 - 05:22 PM

This is kinda the short version of a much longer story:

Cases breaking, etc, was worst case scenario, and only happened to just a hand full of bikes early on. The starter system of the 03 didn't have a torque limiter in it, so the flywheel woodruff key was breaking as the energy needed some place to go during an engine backfire.

After the 04 upgrade became available, the problem went away and stayed away on the 03's with the new parts.
The parts are about $200 to upgrade and not a big deal to install.

I bought mine used this spring, and it had all the original parts with no jetting done, or any of the other fixes that Yamaha did as a recall. My bike still was on it's original starter, drive, and idler after 4 years. The one way clutch on the flywheel wore out and that was it. I installed all the updated stuff, just for my own piece of mind.
As far as the crank, haven't heard of many problems with them UNLESS they are road ridden alot, and that goes for all of the 450's.
The nice part about the 03 WR's is the price used, they are getting real cheap.:thumbsup:

Dave

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.