Wiring the WR for Street? Heywood~!

1 reply to this topic
  • fershy

Posted June 09, 2000 - 04:59 PM

Heywood et all, what type of connectors do you recommend using for the connections? I am in the process of making my own harness so anything you could pass on would be much appreciated. I am going to receive a turnsignal switch from Baja D shortly. What type of connector will I need to tie into the unit?
I heard for a turn signal flasher one should consider a digital unit. Uses less amperage I guess? Any thoughts on that? Do you have a picture of your harness or a wiring diagram that you can share?

I have decided that I will retain the AC system for the headlights and brakes and run just the horn and signals from a DC Source. ( Small POwerSonic Gell Cell that fits smartly in the airbox) Total loss system of course, but the battery tender will take care of recharging.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Heywood

Posted June 12, 2000 - 08:55 AM

Hi Fershy:

If you get the turn signal switch that comes with the kit, they use a square white molex connector (not sealed, readily available, cheap). I think it's 12 pins. I am away from my bike, so I don't have the details right now, but can post them later. I used one of these in my headlight assembly, mainly because I had one laying around.l

I have looked at a number of connectors. I prefer a sealed connector, the problem is most of them are huge and / or have limited pin counts.

I used a Switchcraft "EN3 Mini Weathertight Connector" on my rear fender, but am not all that happy with it. They are a little hard to work with and only come in a max of six pins (for the cable to cable type).

You can get them from a number of distributor- www.digikey.com / www.mouser.com / www.alliedelec.com These guys also carry the Molex connectors Baja uses.

A couple others I was looking at were ITT "Sure Seal" types (they are large) PH (800) 523-0727

Waytek, Inc. Molded Connectors (these are large too) www.waytekwire.com.

I have a picture of my headlight assembly and rear fender I can post after work (shows the connectors).

Hope this was of some help.

Heywood

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.