1986 TLR200 is same as Reflex?

20 replies to this topic
  • superblond

Posted July 22, 2007 - 07:34 PM

I have heard that the Reflex had some extras, but I have also been told they are the same bike. Anyone know?

• micahp

Posted July 23, 2007 - 09:01 AM

i'm not a total expert but I believe they are the same bike.

• WRX Boy

Posted July 23, 2007 - 10:21 AM

+1

My 87 Reflex was officially a TLR200. That is not to say that a TLR200 in another market (non-US) had the name Reflex on it, and for that matter they may not have had all the street gear they came with here. So, I guess what I am saying is the Reflex is a TLR200, but not sure if all TLR200's were a Reflex. :crazy:

• superblond

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, I know that the Reflex is a TLR 200, but I've heard that not all TLR 200s are Reflex's. I was just curious.

• CharlieT

Posted July 24, 2007 - 04:53 AM

All TLR200's are a Refelx. At teh time all Reflex's were TLR200s.

You don't want to confuse this Honda Reflex:

Posted Image

With the Honda Model that currently uses the Reflex moniker:

Posted Image

I doubt that the later would do well as a trials/trail bike:excuseme: :excuseme:

Why Honda resurrected the name and used it on such a different type of bike.....:excuseme: :bonk:

• superblond

Posted July 25, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Okay, I was just making sure because I was wondering if certain parts were different.

• WRX Boy

Posted July 25, 2007 - 07:25 PM

:eek:

Posted Image

I doubt that the later would do well as a trials/trail

Why Honda resurrected the name and used it on such a different type of bike.....:excuseme: :bonk:

I think you heard that wrong, that looks more like a Defects... :eek:

• Motu

Posted July 26, 2007 - 02:34 AM

The Reflex has steel wheels,thinner forks with less travel,small steel bash plate,steel brake levers.They had full road gear as well - but so did the TLR200's sold here,although I've never seen one used on the road.They were sold and used as trials bikes over here.

http://www.trialscen...?showtopic=9579

• CharlieT

Posted July 26, 2007 - 05:00 AM

I beleive that may apply to non-US market bikes. There is considerable variances at times between what is sold/available in markets outside of the US as oppossed to the US market. My US model VTR250 bears virtually no resemblence to VTR250's sold in other parts of the world, for example.

• CRM114

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:10 AM

I've heard the TLR 200 is a rock solid trials bike and pretty darn capable for when it was produced. I know the Honda 200cc motor is a great powerplant. But when I look at it, I'm left wondering, how well does it do with those dual real springs? What's the rear travel, about 3 inches?

Just wondering,
John

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • superblond

Posted July 26, 2007 - 09:33 AM

The rear travel is about 6 in. Also, why do I keep hearing that the "TLR200 is a much better bike than the Reflex. The TLR200 has a heavier duty skid plate made of aluminum instead of the bulky steel on the Reflex and also has lighter alloy rims." I took the skid plate off my Reflex, which is steel, and then held my XR200R's aluminum skid plate and unless your counting ounces they seemed to weigh about the same. As far as the rims, I'm sure getting aluminum ones would be a good upgrade. People also say that the TLR200s ran a lot better than the Reflex's and that it took "as much money to get a decent running Reflex as it did to buy it." My Reflex starts on or before the third kick (the 1st kick, I forget to turn on the gas, the 2nd, the choke, and the third it's ready!) usually without even having to turn the choke on! And it stays running! I don't know if the previous owner changed some stuff around, but it doesn't seem he did. But regardless of the people so opposed to the Reflex's and yet fond of the TLR200s, I still think they're the same bike.

• micahp

Posted July 26, 2007 - 10:53 AM

I've heard the TLR 200 is a rock solid trials bike and pretty darn capable for when it was produced. I know the Honda 200cc motor is a great powerplant. But when I look at it, I'm left wondering, how well does it do with those dual real springs? What's the rear travel, about 3 inches?

Just wondering,
John

The stock dual shocks work pretty well -- it seems to be roughly the same level of travel as my modern GasGas. Overall the suspension on the Reflex is slower then my GG -- which makes it good for trail riding but less desirable for trials because i can't really get it to effectively bounce like I can on the GG...

The engine behavior is pretty different then an XR200 -- very low end torquey. Does not like to rev -- makes a horrible street bike, but a pretty good "vintage" trials bike and trail bike. I believe the top end is completely different then the XR200 (there is a website that goes into excruciating detail on the differences -- i can't find the link to it just now). Also, stock it seems the jetting is pretty lean.

My only real complaint is that the stock foot pegs are tiny and not low and set far back enough...

• kxracer987

Posted July 28, 2007 - 04:10 PM

All TLR200's are a Refelx. At teh time all Reflex's were TLR200s.

You don't want to confuse this Honda Reflex:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I doubt that the later would do well as a trials/trail bike:excuseme: :excuseme:

It is just like when they turned the old odyssey (sp?) into a minivan. Same for the pilot.:excuseme:

• superblond

Posted July 28, 2007 - 11:56 PM

So is it safe to say that they are the same bike?

• Motu

Posted July 29, 2007 - 10:53 PM

No - one was capable of competing in trials in it's day.The other was more a trail bike based on a trials bike.

• CharlieT

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:10 AM

Yes, in the US, they are the same. They may not be in New Zealand, the UK, Europe, etc, but I would assume you are looking to purchase one here in teh states.

BTW, this is a pic of a non-US market *tlr200*:

http://www.cmsnl.com...dia.php?id=1023

• huntmaster

Posted July 30, 2007 - 09:21 AM

There was also a TLR250 in other markets as well as the earlier 1970's TL's. Neither of which should be confused with the RTL's... which were limited edition serious trials bikes and very desirable to this day. Clear as mud?

http://metalmarkers....ials/index.html

• Triumphs

Posted August 01, 2007 - 06:54 AM

Neither of which should be confused with the RTL's... which were limited edition serious trials bikes and very desirable to this day.

You mean one of these? Yes please...
and save your money!

Posted Image

• huntmaster

Posted August 03, 2007 - 12:18 PM

You mean one of these?

Very nice!
The problem is you could probably get a better deal now on one of the latest generation trials four stokes then on one of those rarities! :cry:

• superblond

Posted August 05, 2007 - 10:26 PM

Well, I guess it doesn't seem to matter enough to worry about. Thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.