07yamaha chaingrinds frame

30 replies to this topic
  • ekim08

Posted July 22, 2007 - 06:46 PM

ok guys i have a problem, my stock chain when it gets kinda loose it rubs the side of my 07yamaha450f and grinds a bit of my frame it seems to happen almost evry ride for the past 3 rides, is this common for the yamahas or is there a sollution?(i was thinking new chain butwill it work?)

• bigbluerider4life

Posted July 22, 2007 - 06:55 PM

is the chain adjusted properly?

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted July 22, 2007 - 06:55 PM

dude your chain might be 2 loose. and how is it hitting your frame? your rear wheel may not be straight.

• ekim08

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:19 PM

well i know what i am doing and so does my uncle and we both know thie tire is on straight andboth sides are ajusted properly this never was a problem before ill take my back tire off to see if i notice somthing strange but i realy dont think there is

• xrmarty

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:22 PM

sounds like you have a brand new bike and the chain "broke in" (normal initial stretch) Mine got really loose after about 3rd or 4th ride and was slapping all over the place.

as said above, check your slack.

• dirtriderr17

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:26 PM

hmm actually i have the same exact bike, i havent noticed it grinding on my frame. but if you look in the manual it will tell you to measure 15 links in your chain and if it is past a certain length then its time for a new chain... and im sure its way past that. or you might need to adjust it

• ekim08

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:40 PM

i ajsted it 3 times the past 2 days and the chain is 3 fingers loose thats it and i can see it scraped some more of the frame i mean its not bad but i want it to stop but the yz frame is so much closer to the chain then ne other bike by far it seemed like i had this prob as soon as i put a new tire on my bike but its the same model tire and i put it on perfect ,it seemed as soon as i put the tire back on i needed to ajust the tire back about 4 dashes and a chain canot streach over night

• ekim08

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:40 PM

but do u guys have the stock chain on or no

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:46 PM

i used the stock chain a few times but i dident notice that problem. i have a rkxring on my bike

• Roostin_Honda

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:48 PM

Check the front sprocket, is it allined with the back? Is it loose?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtriderr17

Posted July 26, 2007 - 10:19 PM

hmmm replaced my tire 2 times... never had that problem before.

• bg10459

Posted July 27, 2007 - 05:29 AM

Do you use a lot of engine brake? This puts a lot of slack in the top of the chain. I noticed wear on the inside of my subframe so I made a stainless guard for it.

• Darvo

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:04 AM

The chain hitting the frame on that bike is faily common. It's caused by the chain being too loose, or the chain is wore out.

Stock chains don't last long on 450's.

• biker t

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:19 AM

i noticed when i changed my chain from standard to an o ring chain it started rubbing on the inside of my swingarm. immediately removed it and put new standard one back on. no more problems.

• Jeekinz

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:25 AM

Stock chains are garbage. I had to adjust mine on my new 98 KX250 every time I rode. Get a new chain before you kill off your sprockets.

• kxman

Posted July 27, 2007 - 03:33 PM

The stock chain is junk. Replaced mine before I ever started it. Also, it is best to use a straight edge to align the wheel. If you do insist on using the marks on the axle blocks be aware that they are to be read starting from the rear instead of the front mark.

• grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2007 - 04:16 PM

Stock chains are, in fact, junk. However, the chain will hit the frame even if the chain is in good condition and a high quality part if the rear wheel is not correctly aligned. Don't go by the blocks until after you check the alignment to see if they're right or not.

• hi everybody

Posted July 27, 2007 - 06:10 PM

how would you go about properly checking the alignment? Ive noticed wear on my frame and my swingarm also.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:25 PM

ok guys i have a problem, my stock chain when it gets kinda loose it rubs the side of my 07yamaha450f and grinds a bit of my frame it seems to happen almost evry ride for the past 3 rides, is this common for the yamahas or is there a sollution?(i was thinking new chain butwill it work?)

Don't worry, it happened to my '06 too, the wear will slow down once it's worn a nice little curve into the frame. Making up a stainless frame guard like bg10459 did is probably the best thing to do. My rear wheel is always straight and the chain is always adjusted. My chain eats the frame and the shock mud flap(yours probably is too), so the chain is bouncing to the left side and to the right. You'll probably also notice that the chain eats the knobs on your tyre too. If everything's adjusted properly, it probably just means you're just riding the bike hard like it should be ridden! A new chain won't help the problem, but most people agree that the stock chain is not very good quality.

• WB450

Posted July 27, 2007 - 07:30 PM

Toss the stocker, and don't go by the blocks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.