Fantastic place to ride in Nor Cal

26 replies to this topic
  • Mike

Posted June 04, 2000 - 06:32 AM

Went to Stoneyford on Saturday in the Mendocino National forest about 2.5 hours from Sacramento. This place is incredible if you like trail riding. We rode about 60 miles and I don't think we hit the same trail twice. Everything from fire roads to some snotty shale. Good variety of everything you could imagine. Elevations changes of 2 to 5 thousand feet. Only glitch, we had was a flat tire, 20 miles away from our stagging area. Low and behold the little general store has motorcycle assessories so our day was not ruined. Riding back on the rear flat was not fun, at least for John who had the flat, talk about fish tailing back and forth. Some incredible vistas, good river crossings and endless forests. I guess I souund like a marketing rep but this place was great. On top of all that we saw only 3 other bikes the entire day. Talk about tranquil. You will all like this as well. The forest ranger came up to John and I looked at our WR's and got in the bit about sound levels. I am thinking great here we go again. John and I both have E Series exhausts. I run the quiet core and John does not. John's of course is considerably louder. At any rate we all know how loud these pipes are. The ranger said, I think the White Bros pipe is the quietest pipe made. The ranger must have been smoking some of that Nor Cal weed, because thats the first time I have every heard that.
At any rate, this place is great and I cannot wait to get back their again.. If any of you can get to this place it is a must rider area.

Mike

------------------
98WR White Bros E Series stock head pipe, IMS Tank/seat Pro Tapers Works Connection guards. Stock timing

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 05, 2000 - 09:37 PM

Hey Mikey,
It was a grand day wasn't it. We virtually had 60,000 acres to ourselves. But alas my friend, I think we have just shared our secret with the world. I suppose these gents are the right ones to share it with. I think I'll make the Ranger happy and put my quiet core in for the next trip. Don't want to give the enviros any ammo. Thanks again for the help with the tire fix.
P.S. In case the "Stoney"ford Ranger is a visitor to this site. Mikey was just kidding. He has nothing against the local (NoCal) agriculture. After all your mascot's name is Smokey, what do you expect him to think you guys do on your break? :)

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted June 06, 2000 - 04:49 PM

Mikey,
My bike went in the shop today. I'll be ready to cash in that rain check shortly :) .

• Mike

Posted June 06, 2000 - 05:01 PM

As John stated, 60000 acres are awaiting 3 guys with 4 strokes. you won't be sorry. Let me know when you are ready to roll.

Mike

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 07, 2000 - 08:48 AM

So when are going AFTER the 4th of July? My bike won't be up here until then.

Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 07, 2000 - 03:39 PM

After the 4th huh? How bout the 5th? Or, the 8th, 9th?

• Mike

Posted June 07, 2000 - 04:26 PM

Brian, How does the 8th sound. John and I are in. Mike in Silicon Valley, You good for this date? We can arrange meeting when the time gets closer.

Mike

------------------
98WR White Bros E Series stock head pipe, IMS Tank/seat Pro Tapers Works Connection guards. Stock timing

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted June 09, 2000 - 09:37 PM

Mike,
Sounds good. I still need to make sure I'm not scheduled for anything. I'll let you know for sure shortly.

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 09, 2000 - 09:47 PM

I'll do my best to make July 8th. I'll keep you posted as we get closer to the date.

Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 09, 2000 - 10:14 AM

If you need a guide for that area i my be able to make it. I know ridding in stoneyford that no one goe's to back side of love laddy ridge up high and you can ride to upper lake.July will be hot let me know a date.
monty

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 09, 2000 - 10:19 AM

P.S. there is over 90,000 acres to ride and thats the marked ones.

• Mike

Posted June 09, 2000 - 07:37 PM

We are looking at July 8th, maybe the 9th now, I may have an appointment on the 8th, but I am sure we can work something out quick. Monty if you know the other side, would love to check it all out. This place is so cool to ride. I can't get it out of my head. Been jazzed ever since I got back.

Mike

------------------

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 09, 2000 - 07:56 PM

man you an't seen nothing yet i got hill climbs,lost trails, unmarked old enduro trails lots of ridding in bearcreek,summit spring, indian valley trail,bartlet spring.No body go,es to thses aera there not on the maps.It will be hot temp get into 102 we can ride up high but it will be in the 90's.are you daul sport? wr on drit only?the 8th or 9th looks good for me.It would be best to stag at mill creek[cooler]
monty

• Mike

Posted June 09, 2000 - 08:02 PM

Can't wait. Not a dual sport. Dirt only. Snuck on some roads though when I get lost. Best way back sometimes. Just to let you know I am intermediate at best, my buddy John is advanced. So make sure where we go I can get out.

Keep in touch.

Mike

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 09, 2000 - 08:08 PM

I take my wife with me on some of the trails i'll show you some good spots you will get in and out ok just good fun ridding i don't ride fast anymore to many miles under me i just have fun.
monty

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted June 10, 2000 - 03:45 AM

Count me in guys. This keeps sounding better and better :D . Mikey, my riding ability is also intermediate at best. But the way I see it the only way for us to get better, and get ready for MOAB 1, is to keep pushing it :) . Sunday works better for me but I can go either day.

• Mike

Posted June 10, 2000 - 02:24 PM

Lets do Sunday the 9th. I do have a committment on the 8th. A buds BD.
speak with you soon.

Mike

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 10, 2000 - 03:25 PM

I'm good to go for July 9th and lookin forward to it.

Monty (or should I say Stoneyford Master)you are a find! Too bad you're already married. I want my sister to marry someone that knows Stoneyford like you. Thats the kind of inside info one wants in the family tree! But in lieu of that oh Master, I am ready to eat your dust to learn my way around that hidden 30,000 acres.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 10, 2000 - 04:31 PM

OKKKKKKKKKKK BOYS WERE ON FOR THE 9TH OF JULY I ALSO HAVE BOB BICTHIN GOING WITH US HE RIDES A HUSKY 610 2000 .He hleps lay out the jack hammer enduro.We will talk about a meeting place.There a cafe in maxwell we can meet at or at davis flats.e-mail me at wilmexrs@cs.com

• Mike

Posted June 10, 2000 - 05:13 PM

Ok, we currently have Mike, John, Monty, Bitchen Bob, Mike in Silicon, and hopefully Brian from Long Beach. We can all think of a meeting place that we will all recognize and have a great day of it. Some may not go through Maxwell, so maybe somewhere within the park , or maybe either the general store, by the ranger station, or the ranger station, or one of the staging areas. Choose and we shall be there. 5 to 6 riders currently. Any more takers. Maybe a mini Moab day, ala Nor cal.

Mike

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.