2006 yz450f .. common issues/probs??

18 replies to this topic
  • yamasaki

Posted July 22, 2007 - 03:12 PM

hey,

picked up an 06 yz450f yesterday.

i was just hoping you guys could chime in and give me a list of the common probs/issues guys are seeing with their '06 yz450's.

thanks.

:ride:

• bboyce

Posted July 22, 2007 - 03:17 PM

Uhh, I crash to much and bust up my bike...thats about it for problems with this bike.

• yamasaki

Posted July 22, 2007 - 03:19 PM

Uhh, I crash to much and bust up my bike...thats about it for problems with this bike.

lol. i practiced that trick today a few times. it's been a while since i rode a 450. sold my '03 yz450f a few months back.

• bboyce

Posted July 22, 2007 - 03:21 PM

Yea, I really havent had a single problem with my bike. I have however bent my subframe awhile ago..then today, I trashed it again to the point that I need a new one, I bent my bars down, my shrouds are trash, as with my right sidepannel. Man, I hate crashes.:banghead:

• Justin89

Posted July 22, 2007 - 03:26 PM

The 06 motor if freaking awesome. The bike is not the the best at turning but others may say otherwise. I think that it tends to "push and shuv" alot. The motor also gets a really loud knocking sound sometimes when it is running. This is normal. Toss the stock chain and ride a lot!:ride: :thumbsup:

• yz375

Posted July 22, 2007 - 06:44 PM

The bike is awesome, no complaints. I wish I could make it turn better but that is on the rider.

• yz375

Posted July 22, 2007 - 06:45 PM

forgot - ditch the stock chain!

• AlkalineOne

Posted July 22, 2007 - 10:22 PM

maybe you guys that are having problems turning this bike should try riding a unicycle instead... its the only bike i know that turns better than the 06 yz450f

• TMAC25

Posted July 22, 2007 - 10:25 PM

Bike is bullet proof, just put gold chain, o-ring chain or gold o-ring chain on it, taller bars and youl love it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted July 23, 2007 - 01:34 AM

maybe you guys that are having problems turning this bike should try riding a unicycle instead... its the only bike i know that turns better than the 06 yz450f

You need to ride a few other brands. The Yamaha's turn "OK", but thats IT. Go and try something like a RMZ450, and you will be awakend as to how well OTHER 4 strokes turn, but like always there is a trade-off.... as the RMZ's tend to have some headshake on straights...

yamasaki, I would suggest giving the steering head bearings a GOOD inspection and greasing, my buddies '06 trashed a set of head bearings from moisture getting into the bearings, and siezed the upper bearing over this past winter.....

• yamasaki

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:06 AM

i'm used to the argument of the yz450 not turning too great. i heard that when i had my '03 and everyone was in love with the crf and its handling, then the rmz came out and now everyone is in love with the rmz's handling.

i've ridden all of them, and i can feel a difference in handling on the rmz, but i think at least for right now (and a long time to come), there's nothing my bike can't do, that i can!

i guess i'm just really brand loyal too.

i was also looking for the most bulletproof motor, and i think it's pretty much a fact that the yz has the most reliable motor out there. the crf's swallow valves, the kxf's blow up, the rmz's....well, cam tensioner minor issues aside, i just dont like yellow.. :thumbsup:

:ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:13 AM

problems
steering head bearings need to be regreased immediately
The top seal needs to be replaced with the newer part to seal out moisture
the bar bend is way too low - needs higher bars if you are 5 10" or taller
the stock chain is junk
The front end will push from transitioning right to left vice versa

The reason to buy one
The motor is magic...imo...better than the 07
smoothest motor and great overall package
suspension is the best of every 06
Great handling

the reality
all of the problems can be fixed and addressed
the bike can be made to corner perfectly fine

I came off a 03 also and it is night and day better

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:40 AM

You need to ride a few other brands. Go and try something like a RMZ450, and you will be awakend as to how well OTHER 4 strokes turn, but like always there is a trade-off.... as the RMZ's tend to have some headshake on straights...

Having ridden representatives of all the current "big 5", lots of older two strokes, and older 4-strokes that you may have heard of, but never seen, I have never, from the first time I rode my own '06, really understood this complaint. The RMZ does turn in better, but it oversteers at mid turn under power a little too easily, and is too skittish at speed for my tastes. The KXF strikes me as a very confusing bike to go fast on, because it seems to work backward, oversteering on turn in, then understeering under power on exit. The rear suspension is just weird. The CRF would be my favorite except for its unfortunate tendency to completely loose the front wheel without warning. If you get on the gas quick enough, you can recover, but it's not a big confidence builder.

The current YZ450's are, IMO, the most neutral handling MX bike I've ridden in a very long time, and one of the most neutral of any dirt bike, regardless of class. It will push the front (the truth is that they all will), but it doesn't have to. It will understeer, oversteer, or slide both ends at once. It's all up to you. It isn't, of course, but it feels 20 pounds lighter than a CRF once it's moving, and for those who have been on YZF's for a while, the improvement from the older models is beyond amazing.

If you adjust your approach to cornering so that you do more of the braking/turning earlier, and spend more of the time you're in the turn on the power and accelerating, you'll like the results. The bike will run over just about anything oversteering under power and stay pointed where you want. You can even turn under your chosen line under power. Part of that is the extreme controllability of the power of the engine. It responds to you, rather than making you respond to it. No two stroke can do that.

One of the first things I noticed about mine is that it is very responsive to fairly small changes in setup. Things that don't make any difference on my '03 change the entire character of the '06. Experiment.

I should say that, as Polar Bus pointed out, there's a trade-off, but there is with all MX bikes. The YZ won't turn in like an RMZ, but I think it corners better overall anyway. Neither of these bikes can be tossed around like a YZ250 or an RM250, but those bikes can no longer match the lap times the new thumpers can crank off on the whole. For that matter, none of those mentioned come close to turning like a '72 CZ 380, or a '71 BSA B50MX, at least, not until the limits of the old suspensions are reached. There's that trade-off thing again.

• Wiz636

Posted July 23, 2007 - 10:49 AM

I have never in my life ridden a bike that turns better than my RM250 but my '06 YZ450 is pretty sweet in the corners too, just have to ride it a bit differently. Looking at the overall package I prefer my YZ hands down.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 23, 2007 - 02:31 PM

I have 5 buddies I relegiously ride with every week after work. So over the years we have always swaped bikes, and not just for a few laps, but for an hour. I have ridden virtually every bike out there but a newer CRF450, the last one I rode was an '03, and I didn't like that bike at all. It's a great thing to ride different bikes, . My '07 YZ doesn't stand out as a "stellar" performer in any area, but the main popularity of the '06 and 07 YZF's is they are very easy to ride, (and keep riding for a 20 min moto) for the masses of riders. You can be a pro, and go fast, you can be a squid novice and go faster... they are that "forgiving" for EVERYBODY. My buddy's 03 YZF will beat me by a few bike lengths every time in a drag race, but all's I have to do is keep some pressure on him and he'll make a mistake (from the brutal low to mid grunt engine on his '03 he gets tired). Nothing IMO tracks so controlled and perfect like the new YZ's, high speed swapping out is totally non existant. The most admirable thing about my '07 is it's ability to keep me upright when I make a mistake, and THAT'S why I went Blue for '07 (actually I went white, but you get my point....

• bleetham

Posted July 23, 2007 - 02:49 PM

I agree with Polar Bus. I'm on the small side so my 06 450 fits me like a glove, and as an older Vet rider I appreciate how easy it is to ride. It is very forgiving and doesn't wear you out. I don't know about pro level, but at my Novice level it's the ideal bike for keeping me out of trouble. I'm not saying the bike is slow, I've had my share of holeshots on it. It just conforms to what I want it to do better than any bike I've ever ridden.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 23, 2007 - 03:00 PM

I have 5 buddies I relegiously ride with every week after work. So over the years we have always swaped bikes, and not just for a few laps, but for an hour. I have ridden virtually every bike out there but a newer CRF450, the last one I rode was an '03, and I didn't like that bike at all. It's a great thing to ride different bikes, . My '07 YZ doesn't stand out as a "stellar" performer in any area, but the main popularity of the '06 and 07 YZF's is they are very easy to ride, (and keep riding for a 20 min moto) for the masses of riders. You can be a pro, and go fast, you can be a squid novice and go faster... they are that "forgiving" for EVERYBODY. My buddy's 03 YZF will beat me by a few bike lengths every time in a drag race, but all's I have to do is keep some pressure on him and he'll make a mistake (from the brutal low to mid grunt engine on his '03 he gets tired). Nothing IMO tracks so controlled and perfect like the new YZ's, high speed swapping out is totally non existant. The most admirable thing about my '07 is it's ability to keep me upright when I make a mistake, and THAT'S why I went Blue for '07 (actually I went white, but you get my point....

I agree also - the 06/07 and probably the 08, you can not go wrong with....I think everybrand has some shortfalls as I listed the 06 Yami's earlier. But these on the 06 can be remedied very easy. The Yamis are very forgiving when you do make a mistake. And no one can argue which brand is the most bulletproof. When I want shear power I get on my 03 470 when I want to last a while at speed I get on my 06 450.
Bottomline....they both are a ton of fun to ride. :thumbsup:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:13 PM

I've noticed on my 06 about turning(cornering)that I can go around curves or turns better if I really lay the bike over!!! actually sitting almost on the side of the seat.I dont know how far one can lean one over until it slides out but I know since I have been leaning mine over far to where as I have to sit on the side of the seat that I can go around turns faster and carry my speed through them.

• pace

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Overall I've been extremely pleased with mine. The only 'bad' thing I've noticed is that the upper shock bearing needs replacing after just a half season on the bike. Conversely, my CR250 went two seasons under similar conditions before any play was perceptible.

Maybe it's a four-stroke thing.. :excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.