426 compression release cable?? How do I get one?

13 replies to this topic
  • klxnewguy

Posted July 22, 2007 - 02:34 PM

I just bought an 01 426 and while trying to start it up for the first oil change snap went the compression release cable. I need to get another one but can't find anything online? Any help would be great, thanks!

• Markopolo400

Posted July 22, 2007 - 03:50 PM

www.oem.thumpertalk.com

• buzzgrizz

Posted July 22, 2007 - 04:42 PM

yep oem and theyre very tight fitting brand new i had to adjust the compression lever down the bar and it was still hard to get it to reach.

• 642MX

Posted July 22, 2007 - 06:28 PM

I just bought an 01 426 and while trying to start it up for the first oil change snap went the compression release cable. I need to get another one but can't find anything online? Any help would be great, thanks!

You need to leave the cable off and install the 450 exhaust cam instead. There is plenty of info on the cam swap at the top of the YZF forum page. :thumbsup:

• klxnewguy

Posted July 22, 2007 - 08:08 PM

How much would a 450 exhaust cam cost?? With the decompression lever as stock the bike fires up just fine but maybe it would be worth looking into?

• 642MX

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:09 AM

How much would a 450 exhaust cam cost?? With the decompression lever as stock the bike fires up just fine but maybe it would be worth looking into?

I think $100 or so will get you everything you need. Read this http://www.thumperta...078#post3706078

• felix4x4

Posted July 23, 2007 - 03:35 PM

I have one or two of those cables lying around. I dont need them as I have the 450 cam in my bike already.. If you need it let me know.. I can have my wife ship it to you

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jrny426

Posted July 24, 2007 - 06:20 AM

Do the Mod it's like kicking over a 125 I also have a cable and lever assembly and a 426 exhaust cam if needed......LOL

• King_Air

Posted July 24, 2007 - 08:44 AM

+ 1 for the decomp cam mod. I also have a cable laying around as I don't need it anymore!

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted July 24, 2007 - 10:59 AM

there is a guy on ebay with an 01 426 that he is parting out, had several....not me but I was shopping last night

• crazyal426

Posted July 27, 2007 - 10:18 PM

Lots of people do the yzf 450 cam swap. Only problem is cam gear tooth pitch is a little differant. You are better off buying a Hot Cam with the auto decommpressio. I got mine for about $150 from Luke's racing. It is a better match. I do not miss the manual decompression lever. Last cable I bought from yamaha was about $15. Good Luck!!

• crazyal426

Posted July 27, 2007 - 10:22 PM

Oh, I also have my old cable that is not that old and still in good shape complete with the handle and all. Let me know if you are interested.
crazyal

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2007 - 07:49 AM

Lots of people do the yzf 450 cam swap. Only problem is cam gear tooth pitch is a little differant. You are better off buying a Hot Cam with the auto decommpressio.

That's highly debatable. Of all the people who have done the swap with the OEM cam, none that I'm aware of have had any unusual timing chain problems, and many prefer the performance of the 450 cam over that of the aftermarket grinds.

The pitch is actually the same, but the cut of the tooth profile causes the chain to ride slightly higher on the sprocket. Again, there have been no problems as a result.

• crazyal426

Posted July 28, 2007 - 09:10 AM

You could be right Grey, I did not do the 450 cam mod because the 5 guys that I know that did it all said that the teeth did not mesh the same but still worked. They said it looked as if the chain did not seat all the way in the teeth. I don't know for sure, I put a hot cam set in mine.

That's highly debatable. Of all the people who have done the swap with the OEM cam, none that I'm aware of have had any unusual timing chain problems, and many prefer the performance of the 450 cam over that of the aftermarket grinds.

The pitch is actually the same, but the cut of the tooth profile causes the chain to ride slightly higher on the sprocket. Again, there have been no problems as a result.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.