Pipe testing

6 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 07, 2000 - 07:59 AM

Don't you guys think that Dirt Bike/Rider etc, should do a 400/26cc pipe test which includes the sound & power rating, especially as buying a pipe these days seems to be a gamble (never as quiet as claimed). All us enduro, trail & dualsport riders get the short end of the stick when trying to bolt on a bit more POWER...

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted June 07, 2000 - 08:54 AM

Ben, You are right on the money! That pipe test didnt offer me any information at all, if you look at the dyno results none of them are exceptional, Yes I do understand that track results are different. At least they could have posted DB's on these pipes. In order for me to spends hundreds on a new pipe I need to be convinced that it's worth it, so far im not convinced!! It seems as though Yamaha has produced a nice stock unit not your typical 10lbs piece of metal. Dan

• Heywood

Posted June 07, 2000 - 04:08 PM

Right On Ben / Dan! What is up with that? Why couldn't they include a comment on the noise level. I know the 426 is a motocrosser for closed course competition only .... yada, yada, yada,..... but I also know there are a few of us out here that consider noise levels when looking at pipes.

[This message has been edited by Heywood (edited 06-07-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • James_Dean

Posted June 07, 2000 - 05:23 PM

Yes Ben Yes, they missed our big concern about any pipe. Somebody needs to give a good comparison of sound and power. Whoever can make a good balance will win my money.
James Dean

• brurag

Posted June 07, 2000 - 08:09 PM

I road a poker-run last Saturday. For water-cooled 4-stroke they had a maximum db reading of 98. I run a Powercore IV SA with the Hi-Flo Head-pipe and the db reading on my 2000 WR400f was between 100 - 102 db's. They let me ride anyway!

• Clive_in_York

Posted June 10, 2000 - 12:03 AM

I have a 2000 WR.

I'm lucky enough to have a track at home to ride. It's quite near the village so noise IS a consideration. The stock Euro silencer is also a big consideration! DOMA, FMF, WB silencers are anything but (silencers) and for trail riding they're irresponsible.

For a silencer that fits well, looks good, performs very well and sounds acceptable give Edmondson Racing a call. I think their pipe is better priced than some others too. Incidentally, I run the air box lid on, snorkel out and the bike can holeshot in Expert class MX races so no prob with power.

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 10, 2000 - 03:53 AM

I don't wan to sound irresponsable of anything but we have no db. testing over here in New Zealand and in my mind a loud pipe is a safe pipe.
It lets people know you arecoming.. but there is such thing as a obnoixious sound level.
I'm just dissapointed that recreational riding has come to a point where you have to be quiet to the surrounding trees..
Show me a test in which trees are damaged by sound/noise.

Saying all this my W/Bros bike with 10 disks IS quieter than the stock YZ400 pipe..

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.