A left side airbox cover?????

8 replies to this topic
  • jdilpkle

Posted July 22, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Firstly, is this correct, or am I missing something on my new (to me) '97 650L.
When I pull off the left side-cover on my 650l you can see the filter element.
It looks like there should be a cover on that side of the airbox.
I just removed the snorkle, rejetted (158/55) drilled the slide, shimmed the needle.. Now the box is open on top, and on the left side too.
I rode it for about a half hour with the above mods done before getting the 55 pilot - ran great but the plug was waaay to white, and the motor was hotter than usual for sure. I then put in the 55 pilot and the plug now has a tinge of light gray on it. It even smells richer, and when putting on the choke now it stumbles all over itself. Richer fer sure.
Do you think the addition of the WB pipe will mean more rejetting with all the above mods done? It didn't seem to run quite as crisp with the bigger #55 pilot installed, but I didn't want melt-down either. I do have some main jet available up to #170 and one #60 pilot in my garage. Does anyone have the above mods done with the WB pipe installed? At least I could be in the jetting ballpark. The bike is on the way to 'tardem. Getting the rims bought and laced is the $$$$ holdup.I want to Bucannans (around since 1950's) in Azusa CA and they want $880 (if I bring them my bare hubs) to lace on 3.25 front and 4.50 rear rims. Right now I want to get the jetting nailed down.
Thanks in advance for your help.
jdilpkle

• Huffa 2

Posted July 22, 2007 - 12:56 PM

Your L side cover IS the cover.

What do you mean it is open on the L side too?

Can't be if you have the side cover on .

• jdilpkle

Posted July 22, 2007 - 07:31 PM

So once I pull off the large outside left side cover (three half twist fasteners), I WILL be seeing the filter. That's kinda weird.
Thanks.
jdilpkle

• jdilpkle

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:32 AM

What a stupido. Now that I looked at the left side cover - it does close in the airbox on that side. For some reason, I was thinking (???) otherwise.
Sorry for the supreme ignorance on my part.
Let's see.... the front wheel points towards the front...:bonk: :bonk:
Thaks guys.
jdilpkle

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted July 23, 2007 - 09:18 AM

What a stupido. Now that I looked at the left side cover - it does close in the airbox on that side. For some reason, I was thinking (???) otherwise.
Thaks guys.
jdilpkle

it happens!:crazy: :busted:

• Huffa 2

Posted July 23, 2007 - 09:30 AM

Thaks guys.
jdilpkle

:lol: :lol: Yea, when you asked that I had to reread it thinking you meant something else possibly.

Matter of fact that airbox cover fitment makes it hard to get the cover on sometimes.

Sometimes in 15 seconds I get it, other times it take me over a minute! One time it took me TWO !! :banghead:

Is there a trick to get it installed QUICK everytime?

I think Honda should have made the gap double the widtth, then there would be no problemo.

• Denn10

Posted July 23, 2007 - 09:35 AM

if your plugs white then yeah you need to fix something. i have a WB and im just up the hill from you and im using a 162 main. If you just checked the plug after a ride it doesnt really tell you exactly what part of the jetting is lean so you have to do a few tests at like 1/4 throttle and 1/2 and full to see where you need to adjust.

• martinfan30

Posted July 23, 2007 - 09:36 AM

i start by looking from the rear inside to line up the tongue/groove, then look from the front inside to line up that part of the tongue/ groove. then just lock down the latch's.

• FZ1426

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:23 PM

if your plugs white then yeah you need to fix something. i have a WB and im just up the hill from you and im using a 162 main. If you just checked the plug after a ride it doesnt really tell you exactly what part of the jetting is lean so you have to do a few tests at like 1/4 throttle and 1/2 and full to see where you need to adjust.

This is very true. Trying to jet based on plug color is about as rough a scale as I can imagine. (Density) altitude has a lot to do with it (plug color) as well. In California we could be talking Motard at sea level to 5000ft.

"Riding" for a half an hour is also a very rough description. You could be riding the freeway at 1/8 throttle or a sand wash at 3/4 to full. Start with a known baseline. In my case years ago, I installed the Baja Designs recommended carb kit and a white brothers pro meg (8 discs) and enjoyed a fantastic running bike thereafter.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.