DRZ tire sizes

11 replies to this topic
  • rt_hawk

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

Hi all,

Its time for new tires on my DRZ and I was wondering how much wider size of a tire I can safely put on my bike with the stock rims (both front and back). Also what tires would be best for me since I do about 80 or 90% on road riding. I was looking at dunlop d607s. Thanks guys!

rt_hawk

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • depecherider

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

Hi,
I use trailwings for on-road rides and I used to ride MT-21 for offroad, now I've metzeler six days.

And if you search the forum, you should find lots of tyre size threads.
Have nice rides...

• Killer B

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:24 PM

One for their performance:A+
Two for their value: A+++

Here's a few pics of my '07 with the largest
size's of the K270's (5.10 rear & 3.25 front).
As you can see, they fit fine. I think a 6" wide
tire would fit on the rear, but who would want
or need that? This is great set of tires for $80.

PS. The rear is about 2/3 worn out as you can see.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• cammeddr-z

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:11 PM

i reccomend trials tires for any riding besides on track motocross and especially on road they are much more aggressive than your stock deathwings and they grab the pavement like glue and there is nothing better for trail riding...nothing
Posted Image
i run the michelin x-11 tt's on one dr-zPosted Image
and cheng shin c-186's my otherPosted Image

• smcalpac

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

i reccomend trials tires for any riding besides on track motocross and especially on road they are much more aggressive than your stock deathwings and they grab the pavement like glue and there is nothing better for trail riding...nothing

That is a damn good point, at least for street and trail. I wouldn't be able to run them in the desert, but hey for alot of other places they should work!

• cammeddr-z

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:26 PM

well my trials tire have 1/16" deeper tread than my michelin ac10 knobby. and you'd be suprised how well they do in the sand they may not grab as hard as my turbo paddle but they grab better than a knobby and feel more consistent and easier to ride than the paddle as well. and here is an article from april's "dirt bike" magazine that hopefully may shed some light on the michelin version

Posted Image

• fraflo

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

[quote name='cammeddr-z']i reccomend trials tires for any riding besides on track motocross and especially on road they are much more aggressive than your stock deathwings and they grab the pavement like glue and there is nothing better for trail riding...nothing

i run the michelin x-11 tt's on one

and cheng shin c-186's my

Any judgement on whether the cheng-chins are a factor of 4 worse (that's about the price difference to the michelins... man those are pricey...

• luissuperdog

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

I think the trail tires are not intended for high speed driving. Some guys use them in Baja for one of the races. I thnik they lasted about 50 miles before they melted.
i use Maxxis desert IT and they have work fine in Highway and offroad. They are not DOT. But they last long time.

• cammeddr-z

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

my cheng shin c-186's (second pic in my previous post) are d.o.t. and have a highway speed rating of 100mph and are incredibly durable, i use them for street tires. they last longer than my deathwings did
that is due to a harder compound than the michelin. the michelin is so soft that you can grab one of the knobs with your fingers and twist it around 180 degrees. but it actually has lasted me quite a while riding on really rock terrain that shredded my previous knobbies an it still has a lot of tread left

• GOF1

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:18 PM

Oh GREAT! One more tire to throw in the mix. I'm gonna need new sneakers soon and I've been getting headaches trying to figure out what to use.

• cammeddr-z

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:36 PM

well to sve the headache the answer is simple: use trials tires the cheng shin c186's are $30.00 for the rear and like $25 for the front so try them and see if you like them if not you're only out $50 or $60

• GOF1

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

I will definitely take a good hard look at them.
So much good info here at the TT forums.

Related Content

Wiki
Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension - last post by bmwpowere36m3

Compression & rebound DRZ400 suspension

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Sm/S riders, how often do you switch out your dirt and street tires? by carmstro2096

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • Hot  30 replies
Wiki
Lighten up your DR-Z400S - last post by motoinmoab

Lighten up your DR-Z400S

Wiki Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Buying first DR-Z, need your opinion. by adnonymous

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

Who Has The Lightest DRZ400E and How Did You Achieve It? by Positron007

• Hot  40 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.