Loud pipes save lives....

70 replies to this topic
  • XR Twitch

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:23 AM

In time I'm going to change the exhaust on my 07 650L. But for right now I was wondering if removing the baffle is going to make it run even leaner than it does. I know it will have to be rejetted with new pipes. As it is now nobody hears me coming and I have been cut off more times than I care to count. It's driving me crazy. I plan on doing the carb mods, and the exhaust over the winter, don't want to get in to it right now. Thanks for any help.

• glasseye

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:39 AM

I have to disagree. IMO, loud pipes do nothing more that annoy drivers as you pass them. Even with loud pipes, you'll continue to get cut off on the roads, it's something yoiu need to always be prepared for. It doesn't even piss me off anymore because I expect it.

Be alert out there and ride safe!

• Rockjockey

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:41 AM

I bought the Al Bakers complete system for just this reason. It is louder than stock but not obnoxiously loud. You can't stop it from happening but I feel being heard helps you be seen as well. If you remove the baffle and change the air filter re-jetting should be done as it will run leaner (hotter). More air in and more air out will require more fuel in also.If no change is made to the air filter it might not be as lean but, I would do it all at once. The changes made mine run alot cooler than it was with the stock set-up. Rejetting these bikes is really simple and can be done in an hour or less.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 22, 2007 - 10:33 AM

I have to disagree. IMO, loud pipes do nothing more that annoy drivers as you pass them. Even with loud pipes, you'll continue to get cut off on the roads, it's something yoiu need to always be prepared for.

I'd have to agree, even loud, when your behind someone they still will not hear you.

A motorcycle IS a lot harder to see, I have trouble at seeing them sometimes, everyone does ant one time or another.

Just drive and have your reactions ready for what could possibly happen ahead, aside and behind and you'll be fine.

Critters are also darn dangerous :foul: >> they jump/dart out from anywhere!!

I try to always where bright colors/helmet too.

Amazing, just AMAZING how poplar BLACK is and that is the worst color you can wear.

We should get a insurance discount for wearing bright colored cloths! I think it means a lot.

My bike certainly can't be much brighter :thumbsup:, that's for sure!

• XR680RR

Posted July 22, 2007 - 12:05 PM

The big difference on this argument is where you ride. A huge difference is in California where you can leagally split lanes. I know it sounds crazy for the rest of you but, once the traffic is slowed down to 30mph or less you can split traffic. You can only go 15mph faster then traffic at anytime you are splitting traffic. LOUD is a big plus, but, better is when you let a loud Harley go first then you fallow. My ST1300 is wisper quiet but, I can see a huge difference when a Harley goes first. The traffic splits like thet red sea has they go through. If I run high beams with the head light moved up (Head lights on the ST1300 are on a motor that adjusts there beam up and down) I get a few to move as I split. It is a fact that loud pipes make a difference here when splitting traffic but, I don't have a loud street bike. In the dirt I have been on both end of the loud pipe saving me from a high speed crash. I don't care about the politacaly correct and there screwed up views that it's all about what bugs them or others; throwing out what works.

• jonr3

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:36 AM

IMO, loud pipes do help somewhat, although, I think the biggest factor is the location. I rode for 20 years in California and had less "close calls" than anywhere else. I believe it is because there are so many motorcycles in CA and that they can ride all year round, that other drivers are much more aware of them and become used to looking for them.

In the midwest, it seemed like I had a brush with death at least once a week from people cutting me off or trying to change lanes. I now live in North Carolina and it's not much better here - although a little.

My last bike was a black HD Electraglide and my current bike is a bright red XR650L. On average, I have probably had more scares on my XR than on my HD and I think some of this is due to the loudness of the pipes - my HD had basically straight pipes.

Granted, oncoming traffic can't hear the loud pipes, but the cars who are traveling the same direction in other lanes and those that may pull out in front of me usually can. And, most of my "pucker" times have been people trying to merge into my lane without looking. When I put the loud pipes on, I noticed that they would look a little more often - mostly to find out where the noise was coming from.

After 30 years of riding on the street, I have come to one conclusion: There are always going to be people out there who don't look, don't care, or are too busy talking on their cell phone or putting on make-up to notice that they are about to take out a motorcycle. I just have to be careful and look out for them.

• Motosprtman

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:31 AM

I have to disagree. IMO, loud pipes do nothing more that annoy drivers as you pass them. Even with loud pipes, you'll continue to get cut off on the roads, it's something yoiu need to always be prepared for. It doesn't even piss me off anymore because I expect it.

EXACTLY CORRECT!

• Motosprtman

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:33 AM

if you are interested I just happen to have a White Brothers E-2 pipe for your XR650L for sale, like new. I also have a FMF Powercore IV for an XR250R for sale.

• captb

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:55 AM

Wheelies save more lives than loud pipes, ever notice how everyone looks when the front wheel is pointed towards the sky.

• dezracerE

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:12 AM

When you ride on the street, [COLOR="Red"]EVERYONE[/COLOR] wants to kill you.
That is the attitude you need to stay out of trouble.
I have ridden with all levels of sound and types of bikes and pipes- no difference in the respect from fellow drivers.
Remember this- [COLOR="red"]cars are getting smarter and people are gettin stupider[/COLOR].
I dont think pipes make much difference.
MY $.02.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR Twitch

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:14 AM

How much for the pipe ? Is it the slip on, or head pipes and all ??

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:44 AM

In time I'm going to change the exhaust on my 07 650L. But for right now I was wondering if removing the baffle is going to make it run even leaner than it does. I know it will have to be rejetted with new pipes. As it is now nobody hears me coming and I have been cut off more times than I care to count. It's driving me crazy. I plan on doing the carb mods, and the exhaust over the winter, don't want to get in to it right now. Thanks for any help.

To handle the tech side of the question, yes, removing the baffle will make it a little leaner.

Dave

• XR Twitch

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:47 AM

Wow !!!! Le me check, is this "Pipepolice.com"? Don't know were to start with some of you. My question was about jetting. If I want my bike loud, so be it. Welcome to the land of the free. Not to hurt anyones feelings, but I have been riding on the street for near 30 years, and "LOUD" will save your but. I'm not looking to bust any windows mind you, but it could stand to make a little more noise. Some of you folks have been great with the help I'm looking for. Then there are a bunch that get way off the subject. As far as what Tom, Dick, and Harry think when I go buy, can't really say that I care. Because they are the same ones that will turn left right in front of you. I've been hit twice, both sideswipes. Once on a TS 250, and again on a GS1100. Both stock tubes. Both people said the same thing. "I didn't see him or even hear him". Well, I'll play there silly game. CAN YA HEAR ME NOW ??? Living in New York, I think we have more idiots per square mile than anyplace in the states. I'm not going to spend the rest of my days in a wheelchair, because Barbi did't know I was next to her, because she was on the phone, and doing her hair a 70 mph. Thats all. Anyone got a good point to start with the jetting ????

• XR Twitch

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:50 AM

Thank you Dave........ very much.

• martinfan30

Posted July 23, 2007 - 09:16 AM

Wow !!!! Le me check, is this "Pipepolice.com"? Don't know were to start with some of you. My question was about jetting. If I want my bike loud, so be it. Welcome to the land of the free. Not to hurt anyones feelings, but I have been riding on the street for near 30 years, and "LOUD" will save your but. I'm not looking to bust any windows mind you, but it could stand to make a little more noise. Some of you folks have been great with the help I'm looking for. Then there are a bunch that get way off the subject. As far as what Tom, Dick, and Harry think when I go buy, can't really say that I care. Because they are the same ones that will turn left right in front of you. I've been hit twice, both sideswipes. Once on a TS 250, and again on a GS1100. Both stock tubes. Both people said the same thing. "I didn't see him or even hear him". Well, I'll play there silly game. CAN YA HEAR ME NOW ??? Living in New York, I think we have more idiots per square mile than anyplace in the states. I'm not going to spend the rest of my days in a wheelchair, because Barbi did't know I was next to her, because she was on the phone, and doing her hair a 70 mph. Thats all. Anyone got a good point to start with the jetting ????

im with ya when its put that way! search for daves mods here.

• XR680RR

Posted July 23, 2007 - 10:18 AM

I agree!
I sure don't need someone to tell me I need to be careful when riding a bike on the street or if loud pipes work or not. I can see for myself all five days a week all year long (So. Cal. never rains) what works and what doesn't, who cares and who don't. All the PC poeple who know better then you and will tell you that loud pipes are wrong. I just don't get it, if you have loud pipes you stop looking out for the morons with the cell phone? I don't have loud pipes on my ST1300 and can see the difference between my quiet bike and a loud Harley. Driver will look to see where the Harley is coming from and will never look for me inless my light hits the mirror and then they look. I am the guy with a quiet bike and for sure see a difference. I like this bike quiet (I like hearing my music in my helmet) but, loud gets more attention before the bike gets to the car in front of it. When splitting traffic a loud Harley first and I have a clear shot as he gets everyone to remember there are bikes coming through.
I think most car drivers don't like loud pipes because it disturbs them from there day dreaming.:p

• Rockjockey

Posted July 23, 2007 - 12:09 PM

Here you go:
http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

• lufin

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:21 PM

Took the baffle out of my xrl and I couldn't believe the difference in the low end torgue. It's a little louder now and maybe it runs a little hotter but it seems to run a lot better.

• XR680RR

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:32 PM

Took the baffle out of my xrl and I couldn't believe the difference in the low end torgue. It's a little louder now and maybe it runs a little hotter but it seems to run a better.

Make sure you rejet for the change.

• GIANTac1

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:55 PM

I like my loud pipe! Guess its a piece of mind thing. In the woods on the street......I just dont care! Sure I can hear it now " your the reason our sport is getting a bad name":blah: :blah: :blah: !
By the way, do Daves Mods, re-jet, and throw on a loud ass pipe! Be SAFE and ride SAFE!:ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.