250f Vs 450f

23 replies to this topic
  • HANDSOME

Posted July 22, 2007 - 08:10 AM

I sold my 03 450 to be a responsable 35 year old adult. What a mistake. I have never raced but I chase my kids around the track and do some trail riding and now I am leaning towards another used or new 250f. I'm 5'8" and 200lbs of pile drivin arse. Am i going to regret getting a 250f maintenance and power wise ?

• whyzee79

Posted July 22, 2007 - 10:34 AM

I sold my 03 450 to be a responsable 35 year old adult. What a mistake.

:lol: My thought on that is being responsible doesn't have to include getting rid of things you enjoy in life but enjoying them in a safer more responsible fashion. :)

I have never raced but I chase my kids around the track and do some trail riding and now I am leaning towards another used or new 250f. I'm 5'8" and 200lbs of pile drivin arse. Am i going to regret getting a 250f maintenance and power wise ?

Power. Yes. Maintenance. Shouldn't be much different.

• grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2007 - 12:58 PM

Maintenance will be higher with a 250F, not in terms of oil changes and filter cleanings, or for that matter, rear tire replacements :smirk: but they do wear out faster simply because the engines in the little bikes revs much higher most of the time (meaning the engine "goes farther" in an hour than the big bike), and they work to a larger percentage of their total capacity.

In their element, they are a lot of fun, no question. Everyone is different, but I'd miss the big bike if it were me.

• Justin89

Posted July 22, 2007 - 01:05 PM

I think that you will miss the power. My riding pal just went through the same exact thing and totally regrets selling the 450. IMO, the 250f will feel really fun,light...you will feel way more confident for the first couple rides exc, exc. After that, that feeling will start to wear off and you will start to miss the 450. Just my 2 cents.:ride:

• yz4fun

Posted July 22, 2007 - 01:34 PM

I agree, he will eventually miss the 450 power>>>>

• Bakemono

Posted July 22, 2007 - 02:52 PM

250Fs are actually pretty bulletproof. As long as you change the oil often, clean the air filter after every ride and stay off the rev limiter they will just about last forever. Granted, they dont last quite as long as 450s do, but you should be able to get 3 or 4 years of riding out of it before it needs a rebuild.
Whether or not you will be disappointed with the power is really up to you. If you are just riding with your kids you probably will never reach the limits of what a 250F is capable of, so you probably wouldnt miss the power your 450 had. Also, you may like the milder powerband and lighter weight of the 250F.
At 200 pounds you would probably find the 250F to be kind of underpowered for any serious riding or racing, but if you just want something for messing around on and riding with your kids, I think you would be happy with a 250F.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted July 22, 2007 - 07:12 PM

if your just messing around . you mise well get a 250 2 stroke... basically no maintaince for what you might do. power when you need it and you can just put around if you need to. think about it

• dirtriderr17

Posted July 22, 2007 - 07:48 PM

i have a yz450f and my friend has a yz250f we went to the track this weekend and i asked if i could ride his bike... he are both 15 and im about 115 pounds he is about 145. i like the 250f but the way you have to ride it is like a 2-stroke, high on the rpm's. i like the 450f more because its always got that power right where you need it and seems like i dont have to change gears as often around the track.

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:04 AM

Maintenance will be higher with a 250F, not in terms of oil changes and filter cleanings, or for that matter, rear tire replacements :smirk: but they do wear out faster simply because the engines in the little bikes revs much higher most of the time (meaning the engine "goes farther" in an hour than the big bike), and they work to a larger percentage of their total capacity.

In their element, they are a lot of fun, no question. Everyone is different, but I'd miss the big bike if it were me.

I cant keep up with tires on my 450, along with sprockets and chains. I ride both of my bikes, the 250f and 450 the same amount of hours and the 450 def. eats tires and drivetrain faster.

Valves are what we have to adjust more on the 250f, im 185lbs and the 450 is a little more reliable. But IMO the yamaha 250f is complete junk. Not in the hardware or workmanship part of the bike, they just didnt put anytime into it. I had to make so many chasis upgrades to make that thing turn better, and shes still not as good as the new Zook or Kawi 250fs. Those 03 yz450s were beasts, should have just put a 40 tooth rear sprocket on there to calm it down and have some fun.

• almostinvincible119

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:07 AM

i have a yz450f and my friend has a yz250f we went to the track this weekend and i asked if i could ride his bike... he are both 15 and im about 115 pounds he is about 145. i like the 250f but the way you have to ride it is like a 2-stroke, high on the rpm's. i like the 450f more because its always got that power right where you need it and seems like i dont have to change gears as often around the track.

But the big bike also makes you lazier. You can lug corners draggin feet and still clear the 120 foot double.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • leanin

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:14 PM

It depends on where you ride and how you ride. For the tight trails we have, the 250F is quicker and easier to ride. For the tracks with big jumps right out of corners, the extra umph of a 450 is nice. One of the things I like about the 250F is the feeling of actually "flogging it". I'm not good enough to ride a 450f hard enough to keep it pinned for any length of time on a MX track.

• nicholasd450

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:24 PM

did u ride your 450 anywhere near its full potential?

are you going to just play around or try to go as fast as possible?

you sold your bike to stay safe, in my opinion you will get hurt easier on a 450

• felix 222

Posted July 23, 2007 - 07:00 PM

Yes....

i rode a friends 250f and hated it.

• yz_for_me

Posted July 23, 2007 - 09:45 PM

I think you'd miss the 450. I've debated this same thing myself. But I stick with the 450 because every time I ride a 250f I feel like I'm riding in mashed potatos. You twist the throttle expecting to go and it just feels like slow motion. Once your used to 450 power I think it would be very difficult to give up the extra ponies. You know what they say... you can always ride a fast bike slow, but you can never ride a slow bike fast. :D :D

• HANDSOME

Posted July 24, 2007 - 07:39 AM

I am going to try and find a deal in Bellingham Washington because its close to Vancouver (closest to the boarder for me ). Anyone have any suggestions where to call ?

• greentyler

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:04 AM

every time I ride a 250f I feel like I'm riding in mashed potatos.

hahahahahaAHHAHAHAHAHA:applause: :thumbsup: :p

• mn519

Posted July 24, 2007 - 03:08 PM

I am not from there, sorry no idea on who to call. But if your still trying to decide 250-450 I would go 450. I switch back and forth on which one I ride right now, and everytime I get on the 290(bigbore) I am like, WTF is something wrong? It had soooo much more power before I rode a 450, lol.

• leanin

Posted July 25, 2007 - 12:33 PM

You know what they say... you can always ride a fast bike slow, but you can never ride a slow bike fast. :D :D

Considering the lap times of 250Fs isn't much off the lap times of 450Fs, I wouldn't call the 250Fs slow. But, my experience has been that its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

• HANDSOME

Posted July 26, 2007 - 07:52 AM

I rode an 07 450 last night and thats what I want. What a difference from my 03 450. I think my 03 was more violent an harder to ride . Time to find an 07.

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2007 - 08:01 AM

I think my 03 was more violent an harder to ride .

...and who could argue with that?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.