New 07 XR650L - Woohoo!!!

22 replies to this topic
  • Suds

Posted July 22, 2007 - 04:50 AM

Hi all. I just sold my 230f to my buddy and bought a new 650L. I had the 230 for a year, my first bike, and it was great to learn on, but I wanted something street legal so I wouldn't have to load and unload every time I wanted to take a quick spin.

Wow, what a fun bike. Having a blast riding around town and on a few dirt roads. And I thought the 230 had balls!:bonk:

I used these forums to research both bikes. Thanks TT for all the great info.

One question: For my first oil change I was going to use GN4 10w40. The manual says to use 10w30 or 40 depending on the average temperature. I figured 10w40 would be ok for the summer up here in New England. I was just wondering if the 10w40 would be ok year round, or should I switch to the 10w30 for the Fall/winter?

Thanks for any help,
Suds

• Huffa 2

Posted July 22, 2007 - 05:31 AM

Hi all. I just sold my 230f to my buddy and bought a new 650L. I had the 230 for a year, my first bike, and it was great to learn on, but I wanted something street legal so I wouldn't have to load and unload every time I wanted to take a quick spin.

Wow, what a fun bike. Having a blast riding around town and on a few dirt roads. And I thought the 230 had balls!:bonk:

I used these forums to research both bikes. Thanks TT for all the great info.

One question: For my first oil change I was going to use GN4 10w40. The manual says to use 10w30 or 40 depending on the average temperature. I figured 10w40 would be ok for the summer up here in New England. I was just wondering if the 10w40 would be ok year round, or should I switch to the 10w30 for the Fall/winter?

Thanks for any help,
Suds

10/40 - 10/30 would be fine for the F/W although going with 30 would of course be a little better.

How cold of weather will you be riding in?

• Bibleman

Posted July 22, 2007 - 08:42 AM

If I may toss my two cents in, I would stay away from the 10-30. Yes the manual recommends it, but a very knowledgeable Honda mechanic told me that they have put that in the more recent manuals to try and keep the gas mileage higher. It seems to be pretty common knowledge that the "L" runs on the hot side which would be bad with a 30w. If you're concerned about cold start oil flow in the winter, I would at least go with 10-40. Again, just my two cents!!:ride:

• Huffa 2

Posted July 22, 2007 - 10:11 AM

Keep the gas mileage higher :lol:

I don't know how credible that is, going with a lighter weight to save gas.

I tried different weights in my automobile and never noticed much gain or loss no matter what I used.

Ready for a MAJOR ride soon Bibleman ?

• Bibleman

Posted July 22, 2007 - 12:30 PM

I'm overdue for a major ride:prof: Let's not put it off until the cold weather gets here:cry:

As far as the light weight oil and better gas mileage, it could be a bunch of malarky, but I was under the impression that it is the reason most cars and trucks are going to lighter oil too - even 0-20 weight:eek: Maybe someone with an older bike can check their owners manual, but from what the mechanic told me, the 10-30 was not originally recommended for the "L". Since the engine is unchanged through the years I can't see why else they'd change the oil specs..:excuseme: That being said, I doubt anyone will blow an engine with the 10-30 either.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 22, 2007 - 12:41 PM

Mines a 94 and my manual says 10W30 can be used also.

I don't think that guy knows what he is talking about.

I should be ready by next week, will let you know :thumbsup:

Waiting for Mefo tires, Honda CS sprocket & EK chain .

You already ?

Posted Image

• Suds

Posted July 22, 2007 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll stick with the 10w40. According to Huffa 2's 94 chart, this should cover me year round.
Suds

• Bibleman

Posted July 22, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Hey Hufster, thanks for posting that. I hate going around with bad info and now I know it is a bunch of malarky!:ride: :ride:

PS You didn't have to post the pic - I woulda believed you:busted: :busted: :busted: :thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted July 22, 2007 - 04:35 PM

Hey Hufster, thanks for posting that. I hate going around with bad info and now I know it is a bunch of malarky!:ride: :ride:

PS You didn't have to post the pic - I woulda believed you:busted: :busted: :busted: :thumbsup:

:lol: Yea, I know >> I'm a pic nut though, I take pic's of everything, soon time to delete a few 100 ! :bonk:

Posted Image

OH .........and your welcome Suds :thumbsup:

• wheelnut46

Posted July 22, 2007 - 04:58 PM

So what's the consensus on 15w40?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huffa 2

Posted July 22, 2007 - 05:00 PM

So what's the consensus on 15w40?

That's what I use in almost EVERTHING I own.

15W40 Shell Rotella T :thumbsup:

• 05 trx450r

Posted July 22, 2007 - 05:05 PM

beleive it or not they due use "thinner" oils for better mileage, and they also have addatives to make the oil more "slick". but we are taling about 5w20 or 0w30 those kinda weights.. and the bottles now say "energy conserving"

so he was half right.. and this is in cars

JOSH

• Huffa 2

Posted July 22, 2007 - 05:24 PM

beleive it or not they due use "thinner" oils for better mileage, and they also have addatives to make the oil more "slick". but we are taling about 5w20 or 0w30 those kinda weights.. and the bottles now say "energy conserving"

so he was half right.. and this is in cars

JOSH

All that slick junk is just that, JUNK ! Beleive me, I know, I'm one of the suckers that tried some of them. :lol:

Energy conserving, that's bull. :naughty:

• Bibleman

Posted July 22, 2007 - 05:54 PM

Rotella 15-40 here too.

• 05 trx450r

Posted July 22, 2007 - 11:22 PM

i didnt say it worked..

heres a quote which i got from the API website.. you know the people that "approve our oil"
got it from here.. http://new.api.org/a...ality-marks.cfm

"Oils labeled as "Energy Conserving" have passed the test that measures an oil's ability to conserve energy. Widespread use of engine oils with this designation should result in an overall saving of fuel in the vehicle fleet as a whole, but a particular vehicle operator may not experience a fuel savings as a result of using these oils."

so basically they even say it doesnt work, or it works in such small useless amounts you have to use it in 500,000 cars to see an increase..

JOSH

• Denn10

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:17 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll stick with the 10w40. According to Huffa 2's 94 chart, this should cover me year round.
Suds

thats a good choice but if you are riding in temps of 90+ degrees i would recomend going to 20/50

• Motosprtman

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:29 AM

I run Castrol 20-50W all year around, if you choose to uncork the bike, you will realize a difference in cold starts and pull on the bars.

• Ruffus

Posted July 23, 2007 - 10:20 AM

Just a thought ,, 10w40 would be great for spring, summer, fall,,, winter time, if you're gonna ride it, go with a 5w30 or even 0w30, the first number refers to cold temp rating, the second higher number refers to high temp rating, & synthetics flow better at cold temps than dino oil, also better high heat stability

• Suds

Posted July 23, 2007 - 03:39 PM

Just a thought ,, 10w40 would be great for spring, summer, fall,,, winter time, if you're gonna ride it, go with a 5w30 or even 0w30, the first number refers to cold temp rating, the second higher number refers to high temp rating, & synthetics flow better at cold temps than dino oil, also better high heat stability

I will probably not be doing much winter riding, but unfortunately my only storage option is in my shed for the winter. I figure I will at least start and warm it up every week or so during the cold months. Is this ok to do this? Or is it better to winterize it and just let it sit for a few months?
Again, thanks for any help...
Suds

• pwrpapa

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:44 PM

Rotella 15-40 here too.

Same here for the 15-40 rottella.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.