Street legal conversion (Baja Designs)

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 08, 2000 - 01:26 PM

I almost finished with the installation of the Baja Designs kit for my 99’ WR400. Does any one have any tips or experiences on the street legal registration process in California?

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 08, 2000 - 02:10 PM

I street registered my '99 in January and it was a piece of cake. Take the paperwork from BD with the CVC sections about dual reg and the DMV will be able to muddle thru it. I got a 'teller' that had never done a dual reg and it took about an hour.

brian

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AnotherMidLifeGuy

Posted June 08, 2000 - 04:52 PM

Isn't there the potential for problems based on having a "C" or "3" in the VIN number 8 position? I'd be interested on hearing if the WR guys are getting plates, and if they have these numbers, because over on the DRZ thread there's been a lot of talk about Cal. registration -- or lack thereof!

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 08, 2000 - 05:37 PM

In 1998, I bought my new WR400 in Somerset KY. The very next day I flew to California for my very first time. I spent 10 long days in California, it was great, but I could not wait to get back to KY to ride my new Wr400. Anyway, while I was there, I dragged my wife and child to DRIVEN in LA to buy my conversion kit.(the highlight of my trip) To make a long story short, I went to the court house, presented my proof of insurance and certificate of origin. I got my plate.By law, they had to inspect my bike but they did not. (what a waste on a $500.00 conversion kit). Well maybe everyone should try what I did, but no guarantees. I love the ability to ride anywhere, and I do have the tail light assembly on my WR from DRIVEN.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.