Starting Technique

3 replies to this topic
  • Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted June 07, 2000 - 01:47 PM

I have a question regarding the starting technique. Everything I read in the mags always says how hard 4 strokes are to start, even the manual says use the comp release to find TDC then kick it without the comp release. I have always kicked twice quickly with the comp release in and release it half way through the 2nd kick and it starts everytime, I have always done this on my xr's too. I dont think this hurts the bike at all, although some 2smoke owner told me its wrong and bad for the bike, I dont believe it, but could there be any truth to what he says,

• MotoGreg

Posted June 07, 2000 - 04:31 PM

I guess it's okay as long as it never kicks back at your leg. I know if you try to start it the regular way and the engine isn't in the right spot it'll kick back HARD.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bryan Bosch

Posted June 07, 2000 - 06:26 PM

The reason for this is that many 4's don't have an automatic decompression system like the KTM's and VOR to name a few. This does make starting easier. The entire XR line (except for the 600) is easy to start becuase of reletively low compression. I hope the new WR's have the auto decompression feature. It would be a nice touch.

• AngryCandy

Posted June 08, 2000 - 06:47 AM

This was posted by Richard on the YZ board...

>>>>
This is one I learned from a mag. During a race I would sometimes stall in a corner. I would still have momentum but not enough to turn the engine.

Pull the compression release in, let out the clutch, and release the lever while rolling on the throttle. You can do this in first gear and start. I can even get the bike started on a small whoop. Warning. Don't pull the compression release in all the way or it valve could hit the piston, only a very very light pressure on the lever is required. If you practice it is a life saver in a moto or when you are tired on a long trail ride.
<<<<<<

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.