2007 yz450f turning issues

34 replies to this topic
  • matts06yzf

Posted July 23, 2007 - 08:14 AM

One reason that the sag dimension can and will vary from stock suspension vs. those with suspension work is that taken by themselves, the sag numbers don't say anything about the amount of front end dive that occurs at the turn entrance. That does often change once the forks are redone. Some people, especially those who rely heavily on the rear brake, or who don't brake very hard entering a fast turn, will have more trouble with the front end pushing that those who brake hard. Rule of thumb, the more the front compresses, the better the turn in.

Some might want to read this as well, or not:

http://www.thumperta...663#post5050663

Thats deff. not me Its either brakes or gas. I am a front brake man all the way riding sport bikes for the past 10 years has kinda made me that way. I have actually bottomed in several turns being on the tank and brakes so hard. I dont know gray but I am with these guys the bike pushes, and i cant get mine to stop.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 23, 2007 - 10:44 AM

Thats deff. not me Its either brakes or gas. I am a front brake man all the way riding sport bikes for the past 10 years has kinda made me that way. I have actually bottomed in several turns being on the tank and brakes so hard. I dont know gray but I am with these guys the bike pushes, and i cant get mine to stop.

You're not supposed to be on the tank and on the front brakes at the same time, no wonder your front suspension is bottoming out, your carrying your weight "high". Body position entering a corner is off the seat "agressive" with your head over the bars, hard on the brakes, starting to lean over, then you slap your a$$ into the seat right up on the tank, and smoothly throttle to "rail".

Now I wish I could only DO this as well as I can yap about it... :)

• Climber

Posted July 23, 2007 - 11:11 AM

You're not supposed to be on the tank and on the front brakes at the same time, no wonder your front suspension is bottoming out, your carrying your weight "high". Body position entering a corner is off the seat "agressive" with your head over the bars, hard on the brakes, starting to lean over, then you slap your a$$ into the seat right up on the tank, and smoothly throttle to "rail".

Now I wish I could only DO this as well as I can yap about it... :)

This is true, and I forgot to mention it. Depending on how tight the turn is and if there is a berm, this helps to get the suspension loaded. Kind of like loading it on the face of a jump. This is what helps the bike to bounce off the berm and out of the corner. Doesn't really bounce but helps to get the energy moving in a different direction...the direction you want to go, hopefully ;)

• The Italian Stallion

Posted July 23, 2007 - 03:05 PM

Grey nailed it on all accounts. I to had issues with the handleing but I was determined to find the missing link in this bike and do you know what it is? The damn seat! I know I' sound like a broken record lately about this seat but I have to spread the word I 've read GA426racer try to tell peaple this I finaly took notice. If you have a crf450 you can test ride you will find that your natural riding position is more to the front and more over the tank and youy feel more on top of the bike and it is very easy to get up on the tank you don't really even have to try.And the stock Yamaha seat? forget it. You are trapped in the sucker kind of like the 84 RMs and it is not easy to move forward or backward..with a tall seat on you will feel better as soon as you let out your clutch believe me. Aside from the seat for sure taller bars . Offset clamps help out alot to .I have let guys with stock 07s ride my 06 with 22mm offsets and they come back saying this bike icorners way better.{grey will disagree with me on this one] But the best bang for your buck must have is the taller seat hands down.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 24, 2007 - 05:18 AM

Grey nailed it on all accounts. I to had issues with the handleing but I was determined to find the missing link in this bike and do you know what it is? The damn seat! I know I' sound like a broken record lately about this seat but I have to spread the word I 've read GA426racer try to tell peaple this I finaly took notice. If you have a crf450 you can test ride you will find that your natural riding position is more to the front and more over the tank and youy feel more on top of the bike and it is very easy to get up on the tank you don't really even have to try.And the stock Yamaha seat? forget it. You are trapped in the sucker kind of like the 84 RMs and it is not easy to move forward or backward..with a tall seat on you will feel better as soon as you let out your clutch believe me. Aside from the seat for sure taller bars . Offset clamps help out alot to .I have let guys with stock 07s ride my 06 with 22mm offsets and they come back saying this bike icorners way better.{grey will disagree with me on this one] But the best bang for your buck must have is the taller seat hands down.

it is by far the cheapest way to get a 06/07 to turn better....89.00
And because the 06/07 are already lower to the ground than a 03-05 a tall seat makes little impact to the height issues for those that are vertically challenged.:thumbsup:

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 24, 2007 - 05:23 AM

You guys whine too much! You think a YZF's seat has you "trapped"??? Heres a pic of my stock KX500:

Posted Image

My KX500 has 2 riding positions: "Agressive", hanging off the back of the seat, and "agressive cornering", still hanging off the back of the seat !! :)

• Ga426owner

Posted July 24, 2007 - 05:42 AM

You guys whine too much! You think a YZF's seat has you "trapped"??? Heres a pic of my stock KX500:

Posted Image

My KX500 has 2 riding positions: "Agressive", hanging off the back of the seat, and "agressive cornering", still hanging off the back of the seat !! :)

PolarBus - I rode one of them a few times.....it is like sitting on a toilet that has nitrous turned on at all times.....the shear power on just holding on to the handlebars at full throttle....I never gripped so hard in my life....instant arm pump, a fear that I have never felt on any dirt bike.And to get it to corner at speed.....well that will make anyone a man. A mans bike for sure.Too bad they do not make them anymore - if they were in modern frames and suspension....they would be great bikes....scare the hell out of you but great bikes....I almost bought a CR500 a year or so ago.....but it is simply way to fast for the tracks I ride on.....but damn I miss 500cc MX racing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted July 24, 2007 - 06:24 AM

it is like sitting on a toilet that has nitrous turned on at all times.....

A toilet on nitrous????!!!!!! How dare you insult the MAN bike........ well......actually....., yea that's exactly what it feels like, great annalagy!! :)

since I purchased my 500 back in '05, my arms are about 3.5" longer than they used to be..... (It's great for reaching over my shoulder and scratching my own a$$ now) :)

• Ga426owner

Posted July 24, 2007 - 08:34 AM

A toilet on nitrous????!!!!!! How dare you insult the MAN bike........ well......actually....., yea that's exactly what it feels like, great annalagy!! :)

since I purchased my 500 back in '05, my arms are about 3.5" longer than they used to be..... (It's great for reaching over my shoulder and scratching my own a$$ now) :)

hey that was the $hit back then...not cutting it down..all us 40 + agers remember sitting in the bowl seats from the 80/90s ....before that the heavy padded flattop seats.....nothing makes power like those 500s...I hope one day they come back after everyone realizes how much these darn 4strokes cost over time.....:thumbsup:

• ben_suhard

Posted July 24, 2007 - 10:40 AM

The September issue of MXA mag has an article on the 2007 YZ450F steering. They conclude that changing triple clamp offsets will change the steering, but not "fix" it. They said that the majority of their test riders preferred the 24mm offset, and team Yamaha have chosen to use 25mm offset. They said they'd recommend the ZIP-TY 17mm clamps to YZ450F steering haters, short of recommending a CRF450. They aren't as good at turn in and exit, but they don't push in the centre of the turn.

• adamdf

Posted July 24, 2007 - 11:24 AM

I dont know what you guys are talking about the YZF seat trapping you.. I own the 06 250F and the Yamaha has the flattest easiest seat to move around on in my opinion. Sometimes a bike may push a bit, but as Grayracer was saying, i think the best fix (aside from testing different clamps) is not letting your head get caught up in all this bad steering talk and instead work on your fitness and technique. I say this because while i agree that my 06 250F does not have the most front end traction, it is definitely the best handling bike i have ever owned and i can charge corners hard with the best of them, i just had to get used to the bike.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 24, 2007 - 12:15 PM

I dont know what you guys are talking about ...

The 250F and 450F are very different animals.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted July 24, 2007 - 01:32 PM

Posted Image

Ha ha yeah I've had a few 500s over the years but the one that I remember the most is my 85 cr500 first year of water cooling what a beast that thing was like going for a bulll ride every time you got on it.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted July 24, 2007 - 03:07 PM

You can't nock it until you try it. A taller seat is only about 100 bucks if you don't like it [wich I seriously doubt ] you still have an extra seat.Or you could spend the $100 on more important stuff like some coloured engine plugs.....another great thing about the tall seat is when your sqeezing the bike while standing [alla Ron Lechien] there is alot more meat to hold on to and you are locked to the bike very comfortably and easy on your knees and inner thighs

• RCannon

Posted July 24, 2007 - 03:37 PM

The Sept 07 issue on MXA has a decent article on the different triple clamp offset for the yzf 450. Probably worth reading as soon as the issue comes out.

All of the available offsets from 17mm (zip ty racing) to 25mm (stock) are covered with almost decent details.

They do everything they can to not declare anything a "winner" but the article is worth reading.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.