WHITE BROS. R-SERIES?

13 replies to this topic
  • ray_lebreton

Posted May 31, 2000 - 03:38 PM

has anyone heard of this pipe? i was thinking about it instead of a big gun or an e-series what pipe do you recomed for all around power gain mostly low end though.

• ray_lebreton

Posted June 01, 2000 - 04:31 PM

hello anybody there?

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted June 01, 2000 - 04:36 PM

Nothing on the WB web page... I know of the E-series, I use to have one. But the R series... No flippin idea.. Sorry.. :)

• James_Dean

Posted June 01, 2000 - 06:20 PM

Ray,
See Dirt Bike July 2000 issue, 11-pipe shootout. It is included in the test. Their performance grade was: B. "less power than stock down low,... outpulled the stocker 4000 to 7000rpm", no mention of spark arrestor.

• MotoGreg

Posted June 01, 2000 - 08:07 PM

It has a spark arrestor that is removable with three screws, this pipe is identical to the DSP. It isn't available yet, I work about a mile from White Bros and go in there every week and they keep saying the R-series is still delayed and now they are saying they don't even know when it might be out.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• MotoGreg

Posted June 01, 2000 - 08:08 PM

Hey, which one outperformed the stocker from 4-7k? The S-bend or the Pro-meg?

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

• James_Dean

Posted June 02, 2000 - 08:36 PM

Motogreg,
The Dirt Bike article tested 3 White Brothers silencers, E-series S-bend, E-series pro-meg, AND the R-series with tapered header! How can the R-series silencer not be available when Dirt Bike ran a test on it??? Was it pre-production? It wasn't as impressive as the DSP although it looks identical. Maybe you should ask White Bros next week.

The most impressive WB silencer on their dyno was the E-series with S-bend inlet and large diameter header. Exceeds the stock performance almost everywhere. It had a performance rating equal to the DSP and Yosh pipe. (With a price much less)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted June 03, 2000 - 04:40 PM

Thanks, I went to the bookstore last night and that magazine still isn't in yet.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

• MotoGreg

Posted June 06, 2000 - 05:35 PM

I still can't find this magazine in any stores and my friend wants to buy my exhaust before the weekend. I need info on this test so that I can decide which exhaust to buy. Can someone help me that has the magazine? Tonight possibly? I want to get my new exhaust ASAP. I'm interested in the DSP but I need to know how it is, someone said here that it got a good grade but that doesn't help me. I need to know where it made its power... midrange torque is way more important to me than ultimate top end HP is. How does the DSP compare to the others in midrange and bottom end power? Is the new Pro Circuit T4 in the test? If so, how did it do?

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted June 06, 2000 - 05:46 PM

Hey Greg,

I have a DSP and in my opinion, it helps dramatically in the mid and top, but not in the low. It is a motocross specific pipe not a trail spcific pipe. So, if you want mid and top, great. If low and mid is what you are after, bad pipe.

Mitch

• James_Dean

Posted June 06, 2000 - 08:18 PM

The Top Performers:

DSP-
Performance grade: A. "The DSP pipe made the quick-revving 426 rev even more freely. Our tester felt there was a bit more power everywhere, which calmed the 426 big bottom-to-midrange hit." (revs higher on dyno)

GYT-R - (Yamaha Racing)
Performance grade:A. "Its alot like the DSP"

Yoshimura Ti Pro System-
Performance grade:A. "one of only a few that made the low to mid step in the 426's power more manageable without making it feel slower."

White Bros E-Series w/S-Bend inlet and large diameter header-
Performance grade:A. "most of the pipe makers were going for the same type of power... Like the others this pipe made the 426 pull stronger in the middle but without the noticeable loss on the bottom or top some pipes caused..... This pipe was a real winner on the dyno."

Pro Circuit T4-
Performance grade:A-. "only beats the stock pipe in the midrange on the dyno... by a fair margin."

Motogreg,
The dyno curves make the White Bros pipe above look best for torque out of the best performers. Keep in mind the test was on a 426 not a 400. All the pipes were going after midrange power, not really low end torque. A different exhaust tip might change the results too.
Good Luck deciding on just one.

• MotoGreg

Posted June 06, 2000 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the help guys. So did the T4 make more midrange than all of the others? Was that with the middle sized endcap?

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

• James_Dean

Posted June 07, 2000 - 06:45 AM

The T4 did not make more midrange than all the others. Looks like about average among this top group. They did not say what endcap.

• MotoGreg

Posted June 08, 2000 - 08:24 PM

I bought the DSP yesterday and rode with it today. It has the same killer low end/midrange as my E-series s-bend. Where the e-series felt the same from the midrange on up to the top this DSP rips hard into the top end like the stock yz426 pipe does. I didn't like the 426 pipe because there was no bottom end to it, this DSP is like the best of both, I'm very happy with it. I only rode for two hours today at the track but this weekend I'm going to try it with and without the spark arrestor screen and see if I notice any difference. Also, it seemed quieter to me but my riding buddy said it was quite loud. I think it was quieter to me because it shoots the exhaust out the back away from me where my e-series shoots it out all around the sides. One other thing I noticed is the where the header tapers it's a bigger change of diameter than the White Bros tapered head pipe, maybe this is why it works so good at both high and low rpm? Also, there are no ugly clamps, it slips together with a very snug fit and there was no exhaust leak at the connection. I always get stuff from White Bros (because I get dealer cost) and when I called yesterday the R-series still isn't available and there isn't even a release date scheduled. They also didn't have the T4 yet.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.