Cleaning Chain?

20 replies to this topic
  • axarob44

Posted July 21, 2007 - 11:16 AM

Anyone have any info on how to clean that thick grease Honda uses on the chain from the factory? It has the consistency of grease or anti-seize. If I use some kind of degreaser to get the outside of the chain clean, the o-rings will protect the lube sealed inside of the o-rings right? The crap from the factory is picking up a lot of dirt and grime, which seems to me, it will wear out the chain and the sprockets faster. I guess I just want to know if a degreaser will penetrate the o-rings. I want to get it clean and just use a chain wax type lube to maintain it.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 21, 2007 - 11:28 AM

I rode myn 35 miles with the factory grease on it, then used WD and a rag to clean it off, there was all kinds of dirt and grass like you said. Im gona use Gear Oil on the chain cause i find chain wax is so sticky it gets all over the swingarm and sprocket and makes a mess.

• exaresix

Posted July 21, 2007 - 11:30 AM

WD-40 is used by many to clean o-ring chains. Some speculate that even this could get past the o-rings, but the consensus of experience over the years says it is harmless. You probably know this, but you should never clean a chain with the engine running and the wheel spinning around. I know of more than one person who lost fingers when the got dragged between sprocket and chain.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 21, 2007 - 01:34 PM

I rode myn 35 miles with the factory grease on it, then used WD and a rag to clean it off, there was all kinds of dirt and grass like you said. Im gona use Gear Oil on the chain cause i find chain wax is so sticky it gets all over the swingarm and sprocket and makes a mess.

NO NO dude, don't use gear oil.

Try Bel Ray Super Clean or Honda brand. They don't attract dirt and the Honda brand is sort of invisible.

The Bel Ray goes on like a gray color but really works well. I hate a grimey, diorty, greasy chain ...........I would not recommend these if they did that.

Try em, you"ll like em! :thumbsup:

http://www.faster-mo...chain-lube.html

http://www.worldofpo...8209-013HP.html

I got chain wax once by mistake, I wouldn't give that stuff away, just terrible :thumbsdn:

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 21, 2007 - 01:41 PM

so you never explained whats wrong with gear oil? The manual suggests 80-90 gear oil. Most guys i know in the area that ride use it on there chain driven bikes.

• nate992v

Posted July 21, 2007 - 02:00 PM

I use Maxima chain/sprocket and air filter degreaser. It works awesome. I'll stretch a chain and tear up sprockets before the orings are damaged. For lube, Maxima has a silicone-based lube. Once you have that on there, it's easy to get off with a regular citrus based cleaner.
The problem with gear oil is that once the chain and oil get hot, the oil tends to fling all over the place. No matter how good you wiped it down.

• Huffa 2

Posted July 21, 2007 - 02:00 PM

so you never explained whats wrong with gear oil? The manual suggests 80-90 gear oil. Most guys i know in the area that ride use it on there chain driven bikes.

To me that stuff can be messy too and it's old school but I do admit it must be 15 years since I used it so that's just from memory.

I would think even the 80/90 weight can fling off too and would attract dirt ?

Sort of odd that the manual does not suggest to use honda chain lube :excuseme: don't you think?

• axarob44

Posted July 21, 2007 - 07:02 PM

I've been reading a lot since I posted this. It seems everyone has a different method. Lots of conflicting ideas. It's kind of like a " Which is the best oil" thread. I was looking for the best way to get the grease off. Ended up using Aluminum safe "super cleaner" with lots of low pressure water and a nylon scrub brush. It works surprisingly well. Now I have to figure out what to use for the lube. I have a can of Suzuki chain lube with moly. I sprayed a little on my finger before I bought it. I think its a wax type lube. It dry's real quick and it seems like its going to be a dry film of moly . I don't know about the gear oil. If anyone runs the gear oil like the manual says, how does it work out?

• bosshog

Posted July 21, 2007 - 07:58 PM

As strange as it sounds I started using silicone spray. Tried it on my old chain first than on the new one when I installed it well over a year ago now. No ill effects that I have seen yet. I dosen't seem to have any effect on the O rings and the chain is still as tight as it was when first put on. The best part is that the chain is as clean as new and never has a build up of gunk or lube. Any overspray that lands on the swing arm or rim can be wiped right off and it dries clear in seconds. I use it befor each ride and again after if the bike is going to be sitting for more than a few days. No rust, just a clean shinny chain and nothing sticks to it once it dries. Just an experiment I tried and has been working out great so far. Infact I gave all my other chain waxes and lubes away and use nothing but.:thumbsup:
Bosshog

• wheelnut46

Posted July 21, 2007 - 08:30 PM

I've been using gear oil. I filled an old 2 stroke oil bottle and drilled a hole in the top. I keep one of those metal handle chemical brushes in it and brush it on then wipe with a rag. The brush cleans and coats and the rag just keeps it from dripping. I've never found it to be a big mess. The only problem I find with the gear oil is that it flings a small bit onto the rear wheel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • murgatroid42

Posted July 21, 2007 - 09:39 PM

I've been using gear oil. I filled an old 2 stroke oil bottle and drilled a hole in the top. I keep one of those metal handle chemical brushes in it and brush it on then wipe with a rag. The brush cleans and coats and the rag just keeps it from dripping. I've never found it to be a big mess. The only problem I find with the gear oil is that it flings a small bit onto the rear wheel.

The Honda lube is great, it isn't messy, is virtually invisible, and doesn't attract dirt. After using that PJ1 on my street bike a long time ago, the Honda stuff is fantastic.

• axarob44

Posted July 22, 2007 - 03:14 PM

I just sprayed my chain with the Suzuki Moly-S chain lube and I dont think I'm going to like it. The stuff is super STICKY!:eek: I know it won't sling off, but I bet it really holds the dirt like a magnet. I'm going back to the Maxima chain wax. You might have to put it on more, but will not get as nasty. I'll report back if the moly-s turns out to be alright, but I doubt it.

• Denn10

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:14 AM

Gear oil will lube for a little bit but it will fling off and you dont want that, I use Maxima chain wax also (for my XRL and my street bike) and i dont have it all over the place. Im not saying you HAVE to use chain wax but it was designed like that for a purpose. You cant have the best of both worlds here, you will never have a chain lube that does its job incredibly well and have no mess it just doesnt happen like that. I think alot of people over spray chain lubes off and thats why they think its so messy. next time you use your chain lube take a rag and hold it around the chain and spin the wheel to get the excess off and im gonna bet you will see less lube flung all over. I personally love the chain wax and have used it for years. Cleaning your chain and trying to keep it nice and clean and dirt free is a pain in our ass but its just a dirty messy part of a bike JUST like a nasty air filter part of the gig.

• HeadTrauma

Posted July 23, 2007 - 01:56 PM

I use Maxima chain wax also (for my XRL and my street bike) and i dont have it all over the place.

+1

I clean chains with kerosene-based parts washer solvent. I coil them up and soak them in a pan of it. When everything is soft, I might use a nylon brush to get the crud off. Then after it dries out, it gets sprayed down with Maxima chainwax.

I'm thinking about trying the silicone lube next time around. I don't care if it flings a little bit as long as it's easy to clean off(unlike chainwax or gear oil).

• axarob44

Posted July 23, 2007 - 02:19 PM

When I sprayed the Suzuki Moly-s it went on the chain and stuck like glue. It's not messy, it's just super sticky. I put some miles on it today and the lube did not fling off one bit. So it's good lube, but I think its going to be a chore to maintain it. I like the chain wax for that very reason, Easy Maintinance! :ride:

• cleonard

Posted July 23, 2007 - 03:07 PM

I use the Maxima chain wax and I never clean my chain. I usually get 3 or 4 years of riding 3 out of 4 weekends from a chain. I am is Socal so my chains don't see the mud you eastern guys see and mud/sand kills chains.

• HeadTrauma

Posted July 23, 2007 - 04:35 PM

I use the Maxima chain wax and I never clean my chain.

That is really how I go about chain "care".....I just didn't want to admit it. :busted:

I actually do clean them sometimes, but only if I have to handle it at all like when changing the back tire. Then I'll just drop it in the solvent and let it sit while I cuss at my tire spoons.

Posted Image

• bosshog

Posted July 23, 2007 - 05:00 PM

I'm thinking about trying the silicone lube next time around. I don't care if it flings a little bit as long as it's easy to clean off(unlike chainwax or gear oil).

People call think I'm nuts when I tell them that's what I use but it works. Now if you had a non o-ring chain I could see all the cleaning and lube requirments may be different. Nothing sticks to the chain with this stuff. We have lots of mud and sand here too and neither is a problem.

• Billahjack

Posted July 27, 2007 - 11:44 AM

WD-40 is used by many to clean o-ring chains. Some speculate that even this could get past the o-rings, but the consensus of experience over the years says it is harmless. You probably know this, but you should never clean a chain with the engine running and the wheel spinning around. I know of more than one person who lost fingers when the got dragged between sprocket and chain.

I use WD-40 also. After a ride, I wash down my bike. As for the chain, I just spray it off with the hose. I let the bike sit for about 10 minutes, then go out to the street and spray WD-40 on it. I pull the bike over so it is balancing on the kick stand and front tire. I spin the back wheel with the bike in neutral while spraying the lower portion of the chain under the swing arm. I let the bike sit for another 10 minutes before I roll it into the garage. Don't spray it before a ride!

I have a 2001 XR650R with the original chain and sprockets on it.

Be careful, some lubes pick up dirt and grind it into your sprockets and rollers. This wears out the chain and sprockets much faster.

KTM recommends a dry lube that doesn't look too bad. It looks like a white haze on the chain when applied and doen't seem to pick up much dirt.

• creeky

Posted July 27, 2007 - 01:18 PM

I use WD-40 also. After a ride, I wash down my bike. As for the chain, I just spray it off with the hose. I let the bike sit for about 10 minutes, then go out to the street and spray WD-40 on it. I pull the bike over so it is balancing on the kick stand and front tire. I spin the back wheel with the bike in neutral while spraying the lower portion of the chain under the swing arm. I let the bike sit for another 10 minutes before I roll it into the garage. Don't spray it before a ride!

I have a 2001 XR650R with the original chain and sprockets on it.

Be careful, some lubes pick up dirt and grind it into your sprockets and rollers. This wears out the chain and sprockets much faster.

KTM recommends a dry lube that doesn't look too bad. It looks like a white haze on the chain when applied and doen't seem to pick up much dirt.

Have you been peeking in my garage window? This exactly what I've been doing for years. Anything sticky that you put on the chain is just a magnet for dirt/sand/crud that turns the whole chain/sprockets system into a self-destructing grinding machine. I just sold an '01 XR250R that was not abused but trail ridden quite a bit, still had the original chain and front sprocket. I toss the rear aluminum sprocket as soon as I get a bike and replace with steel, extends the life of the chain/sprockets quite a bit.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.