Big Gun SDS

10 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 31, 2000 - 01:02 PM

Does anyone know if the Big Gun SDS exhuast system will fit onto a 2000 WR with the Clarke 3.3 gallon tank? I believe it is lower on the right side by a couple of inches but there is no petcock on the right either. Thanks for any info.
Angel Boy

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted May 31, 2000 - 01:48 PM

There was a post on this issue.

IMS tank, I believe the petcock is on the right side rather than the left? Is that correct? In any case, there is a pic that shows how close the SDS header is to the tank.

Mitch

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted May 31, 2000 - 01:53 PM

Goto the Technical section. There are 3 pics.. :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 01, 2000 - 10:54 AM

I know that the IMS tank clears the Big Gun. When comparing pictures of the wr with the IMS tank and then looking at my bike with the CLARKE tank the Clark tank looks lower by a couple of inches than the IMS.If anyone has used the Big Gun with the Clarke 3.3 gal tank please give me a response. Thanks for the info.
Angel Boy

• Eric_in_WA

Posted June 01, 2000 - 11:06 AM

I have the BigGun SDS and the IMS 3.4 gal tank. The fuel petcock clears the pipe by about 0.1 inches - it is close. Take a look at my post "BigGun SDS = Less shifting and a much lighter front end" for more details about the BigGun and the joys and pains associated with it.

Eric in WA
++++++++++
’99 WR400, YZ timing, BigGun SDS exhaust, air box lid on without the snorkel, WB air filter, IMS Tank, YZ Seat, Acerbis Handguards, Scotts Steering Damper, Renthal Bars, Devol Rad Guards, Dunlop 755F & 756R Tires
’99 Polaris 400 Scrambler –“Trail Couch, Toolbox and Lunchwagon”, ’99 Honda Z50R, ’97 Honda XR70R, Kubota L275DT and an assortment of farm equipment.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike

Posted June 01, 2000 - 07:30 PM

Eric

What kind of sound levels do you get with this exhaust. Been tested. I am pondering this pipe and exhaust but won't touch it if it is to loud.

thx

Mike

------------------
98WR White Bros E Series stock head pipe, IMS Tank/seat Pro Tapers Works Connection guards. Stock timing

• Eric_in_WA

Posted June 05, 2000 - 11:00 AM

Mike,

With the competition core it is at least as loud as an uncorked WR. (Earplug time.)

I have the quiet core spark arrestor on order - it should arrive later this week. According to Paul at BigGun the quiet core spark arrestor will get it to 98-99 dB. I will post how the 'psychoacoustics' are since I don't have any way to objectively measure it.

The BigGun SDS makes the bike soooo much more fun to ride!!!

Eric in WA
Eric

• Mike

Posted June 05, 2000 - 11:54 AM

Eric,

thx for the info. I spoke with Mike at big gun and I think I am leaning towards this system. Mike at Big Gun stated that I would need to purchase the Spark arrestor and the quiet core. Do you know if this is true. Are these two separate parts. He also said that they make a "super quiet core" that only loses about 1 HP off the overall gain. If thats the case then I am all for this setup.
What did you have to rejet to. Main? and Pilot? Big Gun suggested 180 to 185 main an pilot one up from stock. Did you do this. Also did you have to install the yz collar (bolt, washer, collar and damper) to get the exhaust to fit? What cost did you end up with as well. I have called a few places and can get it cheaper through mail order vs Big Gun directly. Appreciate all the info.

Mike

------------------
98WR White Bros E Series stock head pipe, IMS Tank/seat Pro Tapers Works Connection guards. Stock timing

• YZFWrench

Posted June 05, 2000 - 07:29 PM

Hey guys-

I took the pictures of the IMS/SDS clearance-
excellent pipe but my riding pants hit the head pipes quite a bit. I'm going to try some heat shield tape from White Bros to solve that. Also, I found the rear shock spring slightly rubbing the exhaust pipe, so I "modified" (hit-with-hammer) the pipe for clearance.

Phil
'00 YZ426

• Eric_in_WA

Posted June 06, 2000 - 03:07 PM

Mike,

Take a look at my post "BigGun SDS = Less shifting and a much lighter front end" for more details about the BigGun and the joys and pains associated with it.

I am experimenting with a 180 main jet now. It seems a little better.

I do not have the spark arrestor/quiet core yet so I can not describe it to you.

Any other questions let me know.

Eric in WA

• Eric_in_WA

Posted June 07, 2000 - 05:28 AM

Mike,

Here are the YZ parts needed from Yamaha for mounting the BigGun on a WR:
Bolt, Washer (90201-081R9-00), Collar (90387-0814J-00), Damper (5BE-14747-00-00). Total cost is about $15.

As far as a good place for mail order of the SDS check out RockyMountain at 800-336-5437.

BigGun also recommends sealing the pipe with high temp (red) silicone sealant.

Another difference with the BigGun SDS is that the machine takes much longer to warm up.

Eric in WA

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.