BROKEN RADIATOR! F*CK

5 replies to this topic
  • ray_lebreton

Posted June 05, 2000 - 04:57 PM

the first ride after spending 400 dollars canadian installed on a new clutch i hit a tree with my radiator and it leaked al over the place. After a long uphill walk back to the truck i took it off and discoverd nothing had gone through the core but two of the alluminum hose attachers where practicly ripped off. i hit the tree going about20kmh or about 15 mph . can this be fixed or do i have to buy a new one? how much is a new one(its on the left). do thoes rad guards help against stuff like that? if so what is the strongest rad guard made? i don't want this to happen during a race or ever again.

• ScottyR

Posted June 05, 2000 - 05:55 PM

Ray, sorry to hear about your luck!! You have those magnetic trees in BC also!! Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Left said rad retails for about $400. My dealer, Machine Racing in Newmarket ONT looked after fixing mine for me. John told me that he hasnt had one they couldnt fix. Costs between $75-$100 to get it fixed, depending how bad. I had a hard time getting anyone to even attempt to fix mine. My dealer is about 2 hours away so I was hoping someone closer could fix it ASAP. Give them a call and purolate it to them. They had mine fixed in 2 days. 1-905-830-0254 About the rad guards, dealer told me to be careful with some rad guards as they block off too much air going to rad and make bike overheat in the tight stuff.
Good Luck, Scott Rocher

• Mike

Posted June 05, 2000 - 07:15 PM

after learning the hard way I purchased works connection rad guards and have saved other disasters. worth the investment. $50 vs $400, lets see, believe me the additional $350 can go towards a lot of other cool stuff.

Mike

------------------
98WR White Bros E Series stock head pipe, IMS Tank/seat Pro Tapers Works Connection guards. Stock timing

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGreg

Posted June 05, 2000 - 07:42 PM

That's a simple/cheap fix, just take the radiator to any car radiator shop so they can solder them back on.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• GNCCYZ400

Posted June 06, 2000 - 05:13 PM

Originally posted by ray lebreton:
the first ride after spending 400 dollars canadian installed on a new clutch i hit a tree with my radiator and it leaked al over the place. After a long uphill walk back to the truck i took it off and discoverd nothing had gone through the core but two of the alluminum hose attachers where practicly ripped off. i hit the tree going about20kmh or about 15 mph . can this be fixed or do i have to buy a new one? how much is a new one(its on the left). do thoes rad guards help against stuff like that? if so what is the strongest rad guard made? i don't want this to happen during a race or ever again.

Ray,

I just replaced my left radiator after a tree ran across the trail in a va. hare scramble. Mine was twisted and torn at the lower left corner. I didn't have time to send it off so I bought a new one. The dealer charged 175.00 w/ freight, and I was racing the next weekend and now I have a spare.

Jeff ,98yz400

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted June 06, 2000 - 05:41 PM

Ray,

It can be fixed! Check my post from last week about "Leaking Radiator".

There are two shops that that claim to fix " Clogged, bent, Smashed or leaking" MC Radiators. Both were highly recomended by folks here on the forum:
Myler's 800-367-7699
Fontana 800-430-7234

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.