Flat prevention

12 replies to this topic
  • Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 05, 2000 - 02:34 PM

After having the last riding trip end in a flat tire I'm looking for advice on how to prevent this nasty little inconvenience in the future.
Granted, the flat was on the stock front tire/tube combo.
I will be installing a heavy duty metzler tube.
Any other tips/tricks? what about those liner things you see for Mtn bikes? Foam inserts - anybody use & recommend them? I truly despise changing tires in the garage and on the trail is an even worse experience. So I'm not afraid of spending a little money.....

Thanks,
Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 05, 2000 - 02:51 PM

If your looking to put foam iserts in, I noticed Dirt Rider has a how to this month on how to install them. They made it look pretty easy. :)

I usually coat the tube and the inside of the tire with baby powder before slipping the tube in. I rarely get flats, and I ride in some of the rockyest conditions god ever made.

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted June 05, 2000 - 02:55 PM

I have a solution.

Walk the trail in advance and pick up all those sharp nasty rocks and thorns from those black berry bushes.,.. :)

Just kidding...

Foam inserts? Instead of a tube? If that is the case, it sort of makes sense but rebound will be an issue. Foam does not rebound instantly and weakens on every impact. Foam is based on a cellular structure (as is everything in life) that curshes, looses strength and deforms on impact. But, hell, I could be just talkging out of my arse.. :D

Baby power? milkman, are you serious? Is that to provide a smoother surface so that the tube slides more easily in the tire to prevent pinching??????

Mitch

• Bryan Bosch

Posted June 05, 2000 - 03:08 PM

What about Slime? Any experiences anyone?

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted June 05, 2000 - 03:17 PM

Just to clarify:
My flat was caused by a thorn. I found the culprit stuck in the tire. No I didn't ride thru the bush - I missed it :) Don't look at what you don't want to hit.

Brian

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 05, 2000 - 05:34 PM

Yea Mitch, thats what I have always done. I heard that somewhere once. (I didnt come up with it myself)
I have had such good luck with not having flats, Im not going to stop it now.
I guess it just provides a bit more of a slickness to the tube. After riding 4 or 5 rides though, if you take the tube back out there is virtually no baby powder left. But, hey, it probably done some good for a while.

------------------
Darin from Missouri WR400F Pro-Tapers, Applied TC, Clarke 3.3, YZ seat, Scotts Shark Fin, FMF PC IV S.A., One Industries Hannah Retro Kit, WER Steering Dampner,Pacemaker Computer, Andrews Powder Coating-painted gloss black

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Steve_Morgan

Posted June 05, 2000 - 07:32 PM

I hate fixing flats too, but I've forced myself to learn to do them on the trail, about a 30 minute process. A CO2 kit eliminates the need for a pump. I carry a rear tube for either the front or rear. A front tube will often work in the rear, but I've seen a case where the tube split at the seam from overinflation. I also use baby powder (at home) to prevent chafing between the tube & tire. I've heard that heavy-duty tubes help somewhat, but not always. Slime often doesn't work (it won't seal anything but a pinhole), and makes for a real mess when you take things apart later anyway. Foam inserts are impossibly hard to install, and they overheat and self-destruct during extended riding.

• imported_Scott_H

Posted June 05, 2000 - 09:56 PM

I run heavy duty "Moose Off Road Super Tubes by Metzler" with about 8 oz of slime in each wheel. I also use a little baby powder coated on the outside of the tube before I install it. I have had very good results with this combination suffering only one flat in the last three years on the same set of tubes with several tire changes! This flat occurred during last year's LA-Barstow-Vegas dual sport ride when I ran too little air pressure in my front wheel. The rim snake bit the tube after hammering some sharp edged rocks at speed (my rim didn't look too good either). The tubes are a little pricey at $24.00 each but I’ve always been able to get my money’s worth from them.

Although I can appreciate the advantages foam inserts offer the hard core point A to point B long distance desert racers; I wouldn’t recommend them for the average trail rider/motocrosser for simple reason you cannot adjust the handling characteristics by simply tweaking air pressure in the tires. You have to rely solely on suspension tuning, tire selection and level of firmness of the foam insert to get your handling sorted out. Also, IMHO, installing inserts is not all that trivial no matter how simple a magazine makes it look. My 2 cents for what it’s worth...

Scott

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 05, 2000 - 11:02 PM

Forget Moose tubes..
They're expensive, feel flat to ride on, BITCH to change and are only useful for about 6 rides.. they start to fall to bits.
You have to pull them out everyride to condition them also.

Heavy tubes with a well taped rim and slime will be amost fool proof.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• CraigW

Posted June 06, 2000 - 01:18 AM

One recipe that works reasonably well is the following:

1) Slit open two old tubes, wrap them around your existing tube and then install in tyre.

2) Install slime or similar product.

3) Run tyre pressures at a minimum of 120Kpa (recommend 140Kpa).

Place in oven and bake until crispy brown.

Okay, okay. This does work. Slime and extra tubes are good protection against thorns . Harder tyre pressure prevents tube pinching during impacts . Some traction is lost with harder tyre pressure.

I've never had a puncture running the above, whereas before with only 1 tube and 100Kpa pressure I would be guaranteed a puncture almost every 2nd offroad race.

• Bryan

Posted June 06, 2000 - 07:38 AM

I hear the foam inserts are great for off-road. But they are a bitch to change and I've heard they heat up on high speed road rides and cause problems (melt?).

Baby powder: Old bicycle tire changing trick. Keeps the moisture out and allows the tube to easily slide against the tire so it doesn't bind up when filling with air thereby preventing a pinch flat during a ride.

Bryan...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 06, 2000 - 08:47 AM

There. Thats what I was trying to say. Thanks Bryan :)

------------------
Darin from Missouri 1999 WR400F

• Bill

Posted June 06, 2000 - 11:34 AM

I hear Scott Summers is working on what is little inflated balls. You put them into the tire (a bunch of them) and put the tire on. The idea is that only one ball can go flat and when you hit something with the conventional tube all the air transfers to the top of the tube and allows the rim to pinch the tube. With the balls this can't happen and makes the front wheel run truer and with more feedback to the rider.

Not sure if it's available yet but sounds very interesting.

Bill

------------------
86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.