Riding Rutted corners

7 replies to this topic
  • jasonmcc

Posted June 05, 2000 - 12:23 AM

Hi

I have been riding my wr on a tight supercross style motocross track recentely. I have bee ngoing real good but cant seem to keep the bike in a corner rut. My bike doesn't seem to keep in the rut. Anybody got any tips?

Jason

• Matt_Porritt

Posted June 05, 2000 - 01:16 AM

Originally posted by jasonmcc:
Hi

I have been riding my wr on a tight supercross style motocross track recentely. I have bee ngoing real good but cant seem to keep the bike in a corner rut. My bike doesn't seem to keep in the rut. Anybody got any tips?

Jason

Try riding a gear higher through the corners.
Aslo tip the bike into the corner more.
Either that or maintain momentum and ride around the outside of the ruts.

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• Bill

Posted June 05, 2000 - 02:29 AM

LOOK AHEAD, DO NOT look at the front wheel. Once in the rut us it like a berm and GAS IT!
Don't forget to weight the outside peg. It will feel like your trying to standup with one foot while your sitting.

Bill

• Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted June 05, 2000 - 03:50 AM

When I was racing MX in Pennsylvania, the ruts use to get 12"-18" deep. I too had a rough time. I agree w/ Matt and Bill. What worked best for me was to KEEP MY SPEED UP instead of slowing down. I would drive right through/over the ruts at a ~90 degree angle right to the OUTSIDE of the turn (this corner was wide and had several ruts to choose from). Once at the outside of the turn, which was relatively smooth, I would square off the corner and shoot to the inside, again riding over/through the ruts at ~90 degree angle. I do not think this was the fastest way through the corner, but it was the fastest for ME. I would end up high siding through these deep ruts otherwise. These ruts were causing me to twist my (right) knees pretty severely. This approach saved my knees from any more abuse.

[This message has been edited by Kevin in New Hampshire (edited 06-05-2000).]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kris_Stratton

Posted June 05, 2000 - 08:11 AM

I would agree with that as well. Keep your speed up and look ahead.
Did you guys see Pastrana at Glen Helen this year? He was in those deep ruts in the corners standing up, on the gas so hard his front wheel was two feet off the ground. I need to learn to corner like that!
For now I think that I will sit down and bash through the corners like everybody else.

------------------
99 YZ400 Stock!!

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted June 05, 2000 - 03:08 PM

Try this.

1. Maintain speed. When the bike fallsm into the rutt, it is difficult to fall out.
2. Weigh the outside peg and look at where you are going, NOT YOUR FRONT GAURD or at the big bad old rutt.. :)
3. Push the bike down. If you are turning left, place your butt crack on the right side of the seet edge. Your weight should be directly above your bike
4. Your right wrist wil almost be in your mouth and your left arm straight out. This will hwlp by forcing the bike into the rutt...

It is almost like riding a tiny version of Daytona and the banking turns. Ride it like you are speedway riding on a flat corner. That is the body position you want... :D

Good luck
Mitch

PS. It took me a long time to get this working, so be patient.

• MotoGreg

Posted June 05, 2000 - 04:52 PM

Lightly drag the front brake as you go around the rut on the throttle. This keeps the weight shift more towards the front and keeps the front wheel from wanting to climb up over the edge of the rut.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

• Mitch_from_Oz

Posted June 05, 2000 - 05:04 PM

Hey Greg,

I never thought of that. i will certainly give it a go next time out

Mitch

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.