Gearing Ratio!

9 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted July 20, 2007 - 05:08 PM

Pretty soon with in two months Iam going to have to get a front and rear sprocket and chain for my 06. I was just wondering if I should go to a 52 tooth rear and stay 14 on the front. I have a 14 on the front and 51 on rear but seems like I am still having to shift from 3rd to 2nd alot when approaching sharp turns. I hardly ever use 4th gear at the tracks just maybe once at a couple of tracts on the straights. If I went to a 52 on the back would it help me to stay in third gear more around curves without having to pull the clutch in so much due to high speed when approaching the turn. How would a 13 front and a 51 rear do or can you all think of a good combo. I just want to be able to ride most of the tracks in 3rd gear with out having to shift from 2nd to third all the time around turns...........just be able to let off the throttle while braking then reapply the throttle WO when exiting without having to shift.

• dr x

Posted July 20, 2007 - 05:13 PM

1 tooth on the front = 4 on the back
front is easier to change and cheaper to buy ...

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2007 - 08:42 PM

Actually, 1 at the front is closer to 3 at the rear. But here's the thing; your bike is geared higher than stock.

I know that we went through this before once, but stock gearing on U.S. model '06 YZ450's is 49/13. If you look in the manual on page 2-3, you'll see that. 49/13 produces a secondary gear ratio of 3.769:1. The nearest equivalent of that using a 14 front would be by using a 52, which would give you a ratio of 3.714:1. 51/14 is 3.643:1, roughly the same as a 48/13 combo.

The bike was designed for a 49 tooth rear. It will accept sprockets within a range of sizes close to that, but if you go much bigger than 51, you'll end up with the chain dragging on the chain guide too hard, and other problems. If you think you'd like a 52/14 better, go to the stock 49/13 instead. That will give you the flexibility to run gearing higher or lower than stock without modifying anything.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 21, 2007 - 08:51 AM

But.... would a 13front and 48rear be too much of a decrease. I just dont wont to go so low that I will be able to take turns in 4th gear. If Iam correct gray! did you say a 13-49 is a little better than my 14-51 set-up. If so would the 13-48 be a little bit better than that or be too much of a drop?

• Ga426owner

Posted July 21, 2007 - 10:37 AM

better? It sounds like you are not happy about shifting too much right? Gear it down to get more intervals between shifts - go stock 13/49 or 13/50 if you want to have to shift quicker...a 52 is going to be too big to clear the stock guide as Grey mentioned

dont worry about too low....I use a 47 on my 470 and ride in 3rd all day long:thumbsup:

oh and what brand sprockets ? Ironman last the longest....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2007 - 10:53 AM

48/13 is the same as what you have now. If your problem is simply that you find yourself in "the wrong gear" too often, you could go either way and solve that. Going lower, like back to a stock 49/13, or to a 50/13, will make your 5 gears seem closer together. That will give you the right gear for more different places on the track, but may also mean you have to shift more often, too.

If you go higher, like to a 47/13, or a 50/14, you may cure the "wrong gear" issue you have now, but the gear ratio spacing in the trans will seem wider, too, and that will mean that you'll have to run each gear through a wider range of speed, and you may need to occasionally use 1st gear. OTOH, you shift less overall.

• Captaincautious7

Posted July 21, 2007 - 08:37 PM

I am running a 14-50 on my 07 which is the same that I ran on my 05crf. It has worked very well for me. I personally don't like to shift and this setup allows me to run primarily in 3rd gear. Gate starts are fine in 2nd. 450's have so much torque and this simply allows you to utilize what you have.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 23, 2007 - 03:10 PM

I am running a 14-50 on my 07 which is the same that I ran on my 05crf. It has worked very well for me. I personally don't like to shift and this setup allows me to run primarily in 3rd gear. Gate starts are fine in 2nd. 450's have so much torque and this simply allows you to utilize what you have.

I am going to try this on my 06....:applause:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted July 23, 2007 - 03:57 PM

I believe I will too!!

• Captaincautious7

Posted July 23, 2007 - 06:11 PM

Let us know how you like it! You know your being a real mavrick going in that direction. Just about everyone goes in the opposite direction which personally just alleviates first gear from the equation all together. This way first is still usable and fifth is still there in just in case. But its also understandable why alot of the guys go the other way, especially the very aggressive riders.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.