08 ride report

5 replies to this topic
  • YZ117

Posted July 20, 2007 - 04:17 PM

I only logged .7 on the hour meter due to an unbelievable dust storm but this is what we've got.

Motor: By far the best power plant of any bike I've ridden. Not much of a hit but wow what mid. Power is smooth but very deep. I believe Yamaha has developed a near perfect blend of forward acceleration with minimal wheel spin. It goes forward FAST.

Handling: I'll get back to this later. Lets move to....

Stability: This thing tracks so straight and is totally confidence inspiring. Never hiccuped once! Solid like a rock.

OK, Handling: I got off an 06 and although this bike was very stable it fought me in the turns. Wouldn't lay over. Once I got on the gas it behaved like the best of em. Had I had more time I was planning on raising the forks but ma nature squashed that experiment.

Suspension: Stiff with stock settings but with some clicker manipulation it was......mmmm. Sweet!

Of all the praises I'd have to put the motor first. It is electrically amazing.

• Slinkyman16

Posted July 20, 2007 - 04:24 PM

thanks for the update... congrats on the new bike.

• AZcrRider

Posted July 20, 2007 - 06:51 PM

I agree on the suspension, and the mid-range, but did not like the low end with the stock exhaust - almost felt like a 350F. What is your take on the low end and the stock muffler?

My riding buddy just put a WB system on, and said the low end was greatly improved, but have not had chance to test it out yet.

Not raining on your parade, it is a great bike... It just seems like the perfect bike would be an 08' with an 06' motor? (stock, anyway) Those 06's hit pretty good off the bottom.

On the suspension, it seems real stiff stock. Tried clicking it down on the compression but felt a little harsher? Compared to my stock 07' the front end seemed a little less planted ( not broken in?) but it turned a bit better with the same effort. I think after a couple of rides, it will be "just right".

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CROGGR

Posted July 21, 2007 - 12:06 AM

I picked up a new 08 and 07 YZ450 Tuesday and got to log about an hour on each. The 08 has great suspension and it is better balanced than in previous years! The motor has a lot of h.p. but a little too smooth or weak off the bottom for me. The 07 had more snap off the bottom but the 08 had more mid to top. Oh the midrange was gnarly good!!!! I put the 07 pipe on the 08 and it improved the low end snap but the mid to top wasn't quite as good as before! I believe with a good a.m. pipe the motor will be fantastic! I applaud Yamaha for building a bike that is quiet but the pipe hurts low end too much. I would like too see them build the muffler portion a little longer and less restrictive. Sound would stay down and power would go up!!!

Yamaha finally put a decent tire up front and the bike turned and tracked fantastic. Will only get better with break in. I did notice a bit of busyness in the front end on both bikes through the stutter bumps but know this will improve upon break in. The bike will turn even better when the front end starts too settle a little more! Can you say foot pegs? These things are awesome!!! Little refinements here and there are appreciated but nothing earth shattering! I returned both bikes to the dealership and have decided to keep my RHC 06 YZ450. I was going to transfer all the RHC stuff on the 08 or the 07 but, after riding both the 07 and 08, I rode my 06 and said why??? There isn't much of a difference between the years to justify the time and $$$ to do the switch!!! Now if I didn't already have a bike........07 or 08........???? Can't really go wrong either way can you?!!!

• Ga426owner

Posted July 21, 2007 - 07:04 AM

I picked up a new 08 and 07 YZ450 Tuesday and got to log about an hour on each. The 08 has great suspension and it is better balanced than in previous years! The motor has a lot of h.p. but a little too smooth or weak off the bottom for me. The 07 had more snap off the bottom but the 08 had more mid to top. Oh the midrange was gnarly good!!!! I put the 07 pipe on the 08 and it improved the low end snap but the mid to top wasn't quite as good as before! I believe with a good a.m. pipe the motor will be fantastic! I applaud Yamaha for building a bike that is quiet but the pipe hurts low end too much. I would like too see them build the muffler portion a little longer and less restrictive. Sound would stay down and power would go up!!!

Yamaha finally put a decent tire up front and the bike turned and tracked fantastic. Will only get better with break in. I did notice a bit of busyness in the front end on both bikes through the stutter bumps but know this will improve upon break in. The bike will turn even better when the front end starts too settle a little more! Can you say foot pegs? These things are awesome!!! Little refinements here and there are appreciated but nothing earth shattering! I returned both bikes to the dealership and have decided to keep my RHC 06 YZ450. I was going to transfer all the RHC stuff on the 08 or the 07 but, after riding both the 07 and 08, I rode my 06 and said why??? There isn't much of a difference between the years to justify the time and $$$ to do the switch!!! Now if I didn't already have a bike........07 or 08........???? Can't really go wrong either way can you?!!!

good report....wouldn't you have to swap motors to keep your RHC stuff? I am keeping my 06 too, doesn't seem to be enough reason for a swap. I will see what 09 offers :thumbsup:

• adamdf

Posted July 21, 2007 - 02:02 PM

CROGR..i suppose your getting an 08 Kawi as well huh? I know you had both brands this year, would be interesting to hear from you what your thoughts are on the kawi vs yami for 08. Fill us in when you can.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.