07 XR650R oil check???

12 replies to this topic
  • hondacrf150f1

Posted July 20, 2007 - 11:45 AM

Ok i went to check the oil on my bike yesterday just for the hell of it and unscrewed the dip-stick (next to the gas cap...im assuming all the 650R's are like this) I find that the oil is below the "LOW" line, i mean the dip stick isant even tuching oil??? i can hear the bottom of the dip stick scratching on dry metal when i put it back down in. It's got 35 miles on it what could be causing it to use oil? no signs at all so far.

Also is there some kinda trick on how to screw the dip-stick back in? i swear i had to try 15-20 times, every time it feels like its getting cross threaded. And its not just me, my dad has a hard time with it to.

sorry for the noob questions, any help is appreshiated.

• Firelyle

Posted July 20, 2007 - 12:29 PM

As far as the dipstick being tough to screw in...I don't know.
The oil however had to go somewhere...either out the pipe as smoke, dripping out of the case or into the cooling system. Is this a bike you just bought? I would keep it simple and start with the logical stuff. Make sure there are no obvious leaks (damaged case ect.) or any in the cooling system. Its very possible if this is a new bike that the previous owner or dealer simply didn't put enough oil in it. Fill it up to the proper levels if there are no obvious problems go from there. Don't make it too complicated until you've cleared the easy stuff.
Good luck!

• rdahl

Posted July 20, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Read your manual! Check the oil after the motor has been run. Lean the dip stick to riders right when puting it back in.

• bosshog

Posted July 20, 2007 - 08:30 PM

Yep warm bike up than check oil. Don't add befor that or you'll have way too much. Here's some manditory reading for all BRP owners. http://xr650r.us/ welcome aboard.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 21, 2007 - 04:47 AM

I had to add a full quart of oil for the level to come up to "LOW" somethings useing oil badly. Im gona run it again today and check oil again.

I had checked it when i got it brand new from the dealer 2 weeks ago and the level was fine. Im drawn away that it could use a quart in 35 Miles of use.

• Maroast

Posted July 21, 2007 - 07:23 AM

wait, for clarity (your post is pretty incomplete)

HOW DID YOU CHECK THE OIL?

Did you run the bike for several mins, shut down, then IMMEDIATELY check the oil level?

if not, then you have some reading to do (XRR is a dry sump)

if you did do it this way, then you could have a serious problem

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bosshog

Posted July 21, 2007 - 08:07 AM

Also if you now run it for long with the extra liter of oil in it you'll also have a problem. This is likely the most common mistake new BRP owners make that and not reading the manual. I am assuming you have an exta liter of oil now as I can't see your bike consuming oil at that rate with out you noticing smoke or a puddle under your bike.

• InternalCombustion

Posted July 21, 2007 - 08:56 AM

I had to add a full quart of oil for the level to come up to "LOW" somethings useing oil badly. Im gona run it again today and check oil again.

I had checked it when i got it brand new from the dealer 2 weeks ago and the level was fine. Im drawn away that it could use a quart in 35 Miles of use.

I made your same mistake when I took delivery of my used 2001 650R, except (thank God) I did not have any oil handy to add, and managed to read the manual before I did anything else.

If you bought the bike new from the dealer AND you just added a quart, I would NOT start the bike again until I drained that quart back OUT.

Then, start the bike, let it idle until it comes up to normal temp then shut it off and check the oil level, with the bike standing straight-up and level, just like the manual says.

You should be okay unless you ran the bike a lot before you realized your mistake, in which case check your various seals for leakage, particularly at the counter-shaft sprocket. If it has noticable leakage you may need to replace it.

Odds are you are okay.

Like it is stated elsewhere in this thread, read your manual, front-to-back, then read the link that is posted by Bosshog.

Ride safe.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted July 21, 2007 - 11:35 AM

thanx guys, Im good now. I was checking the oil while the bike was cold. All my previous bikes were done that way. I drained the excess oil i added out of the crankcase drain plug until it was even. Now i gota go and get another quart of 10-40! but atleast i learned a good lesson.

• hill5150

Posted July 21, 2007 - 01:22 PM

You have to warm the bike up to get an accurate reading on the stick. The bike takes 2 qts of oil. The dipstick is a pain in the arse to put back in, edge it over to the right when inserting and it should go in easier......

• bosshog

Posted July 21, 2007 - 08:21 PM

luckily no harm done than. So again welcome aboard.:thumbsup:

• jkwithers

Posted July 22, 2007 - 08:43 PM

Cut the bottom 2 inches off of the dip stick they are not needed. stick should go in easier

• Maroast

Posted July 22, 2007 - 09:50 PM

Cut the bottom 2 inches off of the dip stick they are not needed. stick should go in easier

Thats actually a really good idea, thanks. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.