Problem with free play in the head bearing

6 replies to this topic
  • Erik_Svensson_SWE

Posted July 20, 2007 - 11:12 AM

Hi!

I have some free play in my steering/head bearing that I can't get rid of. I have followed the manual and been working on the ring nut, but I can't get the free play to go away. I have been trying different degrees of "tightness" but nothing have worked. I have got the steering to go stiff and still have some free play (less though). The free play isn't huge, but noticable when elevated on a stand...

The bike is an WR450f -05 that was taken out spring of 2006. It only has 800km (500miles) on the odometer, so I just can't believe that the bearings has gone bad already...or could they?

Doesn't seem to affect the riding at all, but maybe I damage something expensive for good?

What should I do??

What happens if I continue to ride with this free play??

Appreciate any help I can get :)

Best regards

/Erik Svensson
(from Sweden, so mind my English :p )

• clark4131

Posted July 20, 2007 - 01:09 PM

If the previous owner didn't grease the bearings when he bought it, then it's very possible. Just replace 'em and I'll bet the problem subsides...SC

• TeXR

Posted August 01, 2007 - 09:36 PM

What did you find out? I had a little free play on mine. Opted to order new bearings. I don't think you'll damage anything with a little play but it will only get worse.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dr x

Posted August 02, 2007 - 03:00 AM

New bearings are pretty cheap a easy to replace, i've just done mine and it only took a couple of hours, once there done the bike will ride much better.

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 03, 2007 - 07:44 PM

You are in bad bearing denial. It happens to the best of us. Once you get the new bearings in you will become a believer.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 04, 2007 - 05:25 AM

Erik, I too have had the same issue before. I think the biggest culprit is that the fork tube pinch bolts aren't loose when you tighten the top clamp nut. So what happens is the nut always wants to loosen up because it being pulled up by the top clamp and also loosens up the front end. Just for kicks, snug up the front end, loosen up those pinch bolts and tighten up the big nut first, then tighten up the pinch bolts. Hope this makes sense..

I don't think you need new bearings.... Just proper adjustment.

Dan

• Britincali

Posted August 04, 2007 - 09:24 AM

Erik, I too have had the same issue before. I think the biggest culprit is that the fork tube pinch bolts aren't loose when you tighten the top clamp nut. So what happens is the nut always wants to loosen up because it being pulled up by the top clamp and also loosens up the front end. Just for kicks, snug up the front end, loosen up those pinch bolts and tighten up the big nut first, then tighten up the pinch bolts. Hope this makes sense..

I don't think you need new bearings.... Just proper adjustment.

Dan

I think you nailed it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.